Gerry Perkins!

Read Only

Gerry Perkins!

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:46 pm

:cry:

When I got home this evening there was email from Bette Perkins saying Gerry had a massive Stroke today and was in a deep coma. My thoughts and prayer are with them tonight and I would ask everyone out there to say a prayer for PERK.

Postby BonnieC » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:32 am

Uncle Gerry passed away peacefully last night at Georgetown Hospital.
I will post more when I know when the arrangements have been made.
Bonnie
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:29 am

:cry:
Thanks Bonnie, for letting us know.

Today Georgetown is a little sadder place to live, we have lost a great guy. A man that touched the lives of so many, the hockey world has suffered a great loss, as GERRY PERKINS 'PERKY" had given so much to it over his life-time.
My deepest sympathies to Bette and the family!

With Godspeed my friend!

Postby Gloria Jones » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:42 am

My condolences also to the Perkins family. They have been a big part of Georgetown for many years and Gerry a longtime volunteer of hockey.

Sincerely,
Gloria Jones
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby BonnieC » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:45 am

Visitation is on Tuesday from 2 -4 and 7 -9 and the funeral is on Wednesday at 11, I beleive it will be held at the funeral home. If not I will let you know.
Bonnie
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby u-pickedcotton » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:11 pm

This is a sad day...Gerry was one of a kind!

My condolences to his family

Neil
u-pickedcotton

Postby MarilynMcL » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:35 pm

This is a sad sad day. You wont find any better. DAVE MCLEOD
MarilynMcL

Postby BonnieC » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:43 pm

Gerry Perkins,

Peacefully, on Friday April 21st, 2006 at the Georgetown Hospital. Gerry beloved husband of Betty for the past fifty-seven years. Loving father of Paul, Peggy Barber, Randy, Kim and his wife Diane, Tony and Shelly and her husband Steve Burns. Proud Popa of Tara, Josh, Adi, Joe, Aimee, Andy, Nathan and great popa of Jaden. Dear brother to Elda Duncan. Predeceased by his brothers Walter, Ted, Don and Tom.

Friends will be received at the J.S. Jones & Son Funeral Home, 11582 Trafalgar Road, north of Maple Ave., Georgetown, (905)877-3631 on Tuesday from 2-4 & 7-9 pm. Funeral service will be held in the chapel on Wednesday April 26th, 2006 at 11:00 am. Interment Glen Williams Cemetery. In memory contributions to the Heart and Stroke Foundation or Cancer Assistance Services of Halton Hills would be appreciated.
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby tmitm » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:03 pm

This is a man I haven't seen for 43 years but for 10 years he was a part of my life at the arena. I can still see his face with a big smile and hear his laughter. A life long volunteer, he will be missed by many of us hockey players.
tmitm

Postby Lisa Copland » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:20 pm

My condolences to the Perkins family.

Dad knew Gerry well from their involvement in Industrial League Hockey. We had quite a laugh tonight with Dad telling us lots of funny stories about Gerry and some of the players (Dad included!).

Apparently one night, Dad, who was a goaltender, got scored on and it made him mad. He dug into the net and flicked the puck out in disgust. He didn't realize that Gerry was behind him and he hit Gerry with the puck. Gerry was pretty mad about getting hit and proceeded to skate backwards toward the blue line waiting for an apology. When it didn't come by the time he got to the blue line he gave Dad a penalty which made Dad even madder so he threw his goal stick at Gerry. He missed that time but got kicked out of the game. He thought he'd served his time but apparently Gerry didn't think he'd learned his lesson just yet. The following Sunday Dad showed up for his game and was in the dressing room getting dressed for the game when Johnny Wemyss came in and told Dad he couldn't play. Gerry wasn't refereeing that night, Glen Cooper was but Gerry had called Glen and told him to leave the ice if Dad stepped on! Dad had to give his equipment to Dave Robson to play goal because they had no back up goalie!

Another night, Dad's team was playing and they were so far ahead of the other team that Bob Henderson decided to have a little fun. He got control of the puck, took it to the blue line and then wheeled around on a breakaway towards my Dad (his own goalie) and scored on Dad. Gerry gave him a penalty for "being a nuisance"!

Dad said another night Bob did something that earned him a delayed penalty. Gerry was watching the play of the puck and his attention was diverted from Bob. Bob took that opportunity to jump into the player's box and crouched down on all fours. When Gerry blew the whistle to call the penalty he couldn't find Bob anywhere. Dad said he looked up and down the ice, scanned the players box. Apparently it was quite funny!

Sounds to me like these refs and players have a lot of good stories to tell. I'm sure lots of memories will be shared over the next few days. Gerry's history is a long one!
Lisa Copland

Postby seashell » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:53 am

Thank you for the messages posted. It is comforting to know that he is in others thoughts as well. He will be greatly missed by many. Shelley
seashell

Perky...

Postby deeds30 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:44 am

My dad shared a story about Perky throwing him out of a baseball game. I guess my dad was pitching and picked someone off at the plate and Perky tossed him from the game. My dad had a few words for Perky, and Perky then threw him from the park! Dad went to the parking lot, put on some street clothes and came back to the diamond and tried to sneak into the stands...Perky saw him sitting there, stopped the game and waited until Dad had completely left the park...A few years later they ended up being umpires together...Georgetown has lost a wonderful volunteer and supporter. Condolences to the Perkins family.
Dee Dee
deeds30

My Uncle Gerry

Postby daytona » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:18 pm

Go rest now Uncle Gerry
Your life in eternity has just begun
Now you can walk your legs are brand new
All of heaven is now your view.

This is so very hard but it will all be okay
It isn't goodbye for I'll see you again one day
I love you and I'll miss you and at times
it will be tough but as with everything