New photos are up

Read Only - Bits and pieces from the former 80s & 90s Forums, but mostly anything that was posted since April 2007 in the Decades Forum!

New photos are up

Postby George » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:01 pm

I spent an hour or two scanning today and have posted a bunch of photos to the Vault from the 85 to 87 years. I hope everyone enjoys them and if you would like a hi-res version then please email me and I'll send it on.

Cheers,
David
George

The pics are up...

Postby deeds30 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:16 pm

Dave thanks for the trip down memory lane. Gosh, I wish I knew what Brent and I were talking about...the look on his face was not too positive...

Gotta love the photos of you, Steve, Gregor and Christian. It is great that the four of you have kept in touch over all of these years. Are you still in touch? I hope that all of you are planning on coming to the reunion in 2007. It is hard to believe that it is just a year away.

Work has just purchased a scanner, I may have to give it a try... :wink:

Dee Dee
deeds30

Postby kimsbirds » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:38 pm

Wow, these pics are awesome..
It's so hard to believe it's been 20 years !
I suppose I'll have to find a pic that is post-worthy of me and my family.
Does anyone have a program that edits/touches up/removes 3rd chins?
teehee...
It's funny, I wasn't at the Killarney Dance Party, but without looking at faces, I can still pick out who's who !!! Gotta be all those scrawny legs !!

Kim
kimsbirds

Thanks Dave!

Postby colbuki » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:41 pm

Wow... those are great. What a fabulous group of guys you MK's were. You know how you remember names and people over the years but sometimes lose the feelings, well the little trip down memory lane this morning really brought back highschool for me. You guys were GREAT (I'm sure you still are) and thanks for the memories.

that "beach party" picture I believe was a New Years Eve party at Craig Borotsik's. There were not too many parties that your sister Jennifer and I were both at and I vaguely recall the party. Of course there were so many.....

anyhoo love the pics I'll probably email you to get a few printable version ones.

take care!
colbuki

The pics...

Postby deeds30 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:25 pm

So I was showing one of my staff the photo on the website (our Christmas party was at the Harbour Castle and I kept telling everyone that my prom was at the Harbour Castle and I had to prove that I actually went to a prom)...anyway, when she saw it was from 1987, she turned to me and told me that she wasn't even in public school, when we were at the prom...she had a little giggle at my expense...so I told her that if I had been a little less careful, I could have been her teenage mother...I will never look at her the same way again :wink:
deeds30

Newspaper clippings and a couple more photos

Postby George » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Hi all,
Now that we have more room in The Vault, I've put up a few more photos and some newspaper clippings from the Herald. Just look in the "New Stuff" album (or click here)

Have fun!
George

Great

Postby colbuki » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:07 pm

Thanks Dave... just read'em all. you are a pack rat (aren't we all lucky cause now we're benefitting too)

What a great speech Tom wrote, I forgot that he was valedictorian. Of course that was the one year that we weren't dating and I was off at first year so I guess it wasn't top of mind for me.

Look forward to more!
colbuki

Postby George » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:00 pm

No problem Kim, it's actually rather enjoyable to dig some of this stuff out.

Tom's speech was a good one, wasn't it? I like the part, "I know that twenty or thirty years from now I'll be cleaning out a closet or something and I'll come across the old '86-'87 Yearbook". I remember sitting there as he read that and thinking, "wow, twenty years from now will be, like 2007. We'll all be ancient by then!"
But now look where we are :lol:

Now as for posting more, I think that I should slow down a bit. I've got too many photos up there as it is! You may have more text posts than most others, but I think I've got the record for photos now. :wink:
George

Did I go to the same school???

Postby CarolSteinfatt » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:51 pm

Isn't it amazing how at the time you don't think the school is that big, but on reflection there were so many people I never knew! Can't say I remember any of these people that you are all talking about. I don't think I went to the graduation either. I graduated Jan'86 from gr13. I best get my yearbook out. Wasn't Alison Vale valedictorian?

Carol
CarolSteinfatt

Re: Did I go to the same school???

Postby colbuki » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:25 pm

CarolSteinfatt wrote:Isn't it amazing how at the time you don't think the school is that big, but on reflection there were so many people I never knew! Can't say I remember any of these people that you are all talking about. I don't think I went to the graduation either. I graduated Jan'86 from gr13. I best get my yearbook out. Wasn't Alison Vale valedictorian?

Carol

I think you're right Carol. I believe Alison Vale was our valedictorian. Tom Wilson was valedictorian for the next graduating year... he also has the distinction of being my 2nd longest relationship. first being my husband but Tom and I dated for years and I hung out a lot with a group a grade under us in school so they've got most of the dirt (and pictures) on me LOL.

The school has to be bigger than I thought at the time cause looking through the year books there are all kinds of names and faces that aren't even vaguely familiar to me.
cya!
colbuki

Postby George » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:35 pm

Hmm, that's funny because it's almost the opposite for me. Looking at the class photos I knew pretty much everyone in my grade. I wasn't best of friends with all of them, but I do remember them. But then I had fairly wide and varied interests in the later grades (rugby, Outers Club, musicals, choirs, DJing, etc.) and so I was around a lot of the different groups of people. Maybe that's why?
George

ummmm

Postby colbuki » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:48 pm

Ummm George... could be just me but I think your new Avatar doesn't look much like you... it actually looks a lot like me.. late at night after hours and hours of padding a canoe?? LOL that's funny. I guess I should have been quicker to get my pics going to not force you to do it . :lol: :lol: :lol:

I liked your old avatar much better.. :P
colbuki

Postby George » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:56 pm

Sorry Kim, I'm just goofing around with some of the scans I did last night. I was trying this one out for size to see if you might like it :D

I'll try a couple of others then put it back to something more 'me'.
George

Postby George » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:59 pm

Oh, and p.s. I think that picture was taken in 1985 on the French River trip. If I remember correctly, it was pitch black and everyone was getting ready to turn in. I heard someone coming up the trail from the lake and just held up the camera in the general direction and clicked the picture. It's not exactly the most glamorous shot, but I just love the facial expression! :lol:

Cheers,
Dave
George

Postby CarolSteinfatt » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:34 pm

Kim, that makes perfect sense! I did go dig out the yearbook and see that indeed these people were in grades below me. I knew more people in older grades, rather than younger. If only I had my photo albums from that era I could post lots of great pics, although no one is around here to appreciate them!

Carol
CarolSteinfatt

Postby Jamie South » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:48 am

hey carol,

i think the reason you know some of my crowd, is because of your team sports you did. they had all grades, i believe track and swimming, to name a few, and maybe your sister had a little to do with it, aswell. but what the hell do i know :? hense the nick names you know, but poor kimmy does not :cry:
big school, alot of faces, sports and clubs may life bearable, and some killer parties, and no driving was done, after these parties, honest :evil: the d/d was a fun job :roll:

jamie
Jamie South

Postby CarolSteinfatt » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:19 am

Hey Jamie, I think you are right. Straight off in grade 9 I swam and all grades hung out and partied, same with track and field. My sister had little influence...she had her boyfriend and her group of friends and that was that. Besides we were only there a year together....unlike you, seemed you were around longer!! Scott Murray hung around a long time too LOL I heard Scott is married with a baby.

Carol
CarolSteinfatt

I am getting closer...

Postby deeds30 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:42 pm

OK, spent a night this week pulling old photos from albums...getting closer to being able to post them. Kim I have a lovely one of you posing in Gord Paterson's kitchen, after a night of playing quarters if memory serves me correctly... :)
deeds30

Re: I am getting closer...

Postby colbuki » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:29 pm

deeds30 wrote:OK, spent a night this week pulling old photos from albums...getting closer to being able to post them. Kim I have a lovely one of you posing in Gord Paterson's kitchen, after a night of playing quarters if memory serves me correctly... :)

uh oh... I could be getting close to trouble now..... I sure hope it wasn't New Years Eve... cause we all know how they went. Well ok maybe not us all but those of us that do... yikes photos would be a bad idea :wink:
colbuki

Postby CarolSteinfatt » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:31 pm

Hey Kim, even if we weren't at the same parties I can pretty much imagine how the photo looks!!! Different friends, same antics
CarolSteinfatt

DeeDee

Postby colbuki » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:12 pm

I was just kidding about the bad idea part. I've been dying to see the pic... is it still on the way? :lol:
colbuki

the photo.

Postby deeds30 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:33 pm

OK, my techie friends...I am having an issue.

The photo that I have is very dark. I have to use a photocopier/fax machine/scanner/emailer thing to send it to Bonnie.

Is there a way to lighten it up? By the time it made it's way to Bonnie it was a black blur.

Help the technologically challenged...I took typing on electric typewriters with lquid paper on the keys so I couldn't watch my fingers as I typed...computer class involved: 100 type "I LOVE YOU." 200 goto 100 run...yikes the memories are flowing back help me!!!!!!!! :oops:
deeds30

Postby BonnieC » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:49 am

Deeds, Try sending it to me again...I'm pretty sure I tried to fix it the first time..but I'll see what I can do with it. I have a few programmes on me computer for photo touch ups I can play around with.
Bonnie
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Reply from a Dane. :-)

Postby The_Dane » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:47 am

Hi all,

you'r right. It's a long time ago, and I just took a walk down memory lane with your photos and text.

I saw this picture:
http://www.georgetown-online.org/cpg135 ... m=53&pos=0

My real name i Jens Torbjørn Hansen (It's ok to call me Jens Hansen). I come from Denmark where I still live and work. :)

This trip with the outers club I'll never forget.
- I jumped out of the van in the middle of the night because we put the luggage under the van and there were raccoons!!! The flashligt cought a lot of raccoon eyes.
- I almost got lost because I had to go back.
- Our teacher (?) turned the map upside down on one of the lakes.
- We drove through a tornado belt.

But still it is one of the best trips I have ever been on.

/jens
The_Dane

Postby George » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:54 pm

Jens!!

Glad to hear from you! I'm sorry I spelled your name wrong in the picture, I'll fix it immediately.

That was a fun trip wasn't it? I don't remember the raccoons, but I wouldn't doubt it, there's always raccoons around on those trips (and bears sometimes too).
The teacher holding the map upside down would have been Mr. B. (for Bertelson), he had a history of trouble with maps. Sometimes I wonder how we ever made it back to the access points! :wink:
And the Tornado belt, that must have been the year that the big tornado ripped through the Barrie area. I, too, remember how much destruction there was. The one image that sticks in my mind is the houses up on the hill at the side of the highway: one was untouched, the next was missing the entire right half, the next one or two weren't even there, then there was another 1/2 house (just the right side remained) and all the other houses were fine. I wouldn't have wanted to be in the area when the storm went through!

And you're from Denmark! That's where it was! I'll update the caption of the picture too. And as co-incidence has it, I might be in your area next month. I'm slated to go over to Denmark in late May for a few days on business. We're incorporating a wireless SIP solution from KIRK Telecom into our product and I'm the project prime. I'm only there for 4 or 5 days, but I might have a chance to meet with you if I'm close enough. Where abouts in Denmark do you live?

Anyways, great to hear from you, keep in touch and post any pictures to the vault if you have them!

Cheers,
David (Rumsey)
George

Next

Return to Archives - All Decades