Memory Loss Strikes Small Town in Canada

Read Only

Memory Loss Strikes Small Town in Canada

Postby Al Darby » Sun May 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Still fresh from my "Political Warfare" debate, I thought I'd raise another (potentially) divisive issue, to whit:

The other day, I received a PM and the following is "partial, edited" transcript from same:
"Back then, lots of people used to write long postings about many things, though mainly Georgetown-related. The submissions were really interesting then- not the [...] one-liner-say-nothing-at-all-crap of today.

Or maybe we just ran out of memories.
"

The PM went on to ask how we might somehow get back to those days and I must confess, I don't know how.

I certainly haven't run out of memories, but challenging the "positively rivetting" topics like "Gilligan's Island", (I do remember an island in the Credit, but never knew the name of it), "Chucky's Real Identity", or any of the other pseudonyms that seem to be the vogue, or .. the "Sistah" hood, is an impossible task.

I guess, if this the extent of what G'townians want to talk about, then it's no wonder people no longer post about their memories.

People like Don, who lives and dies for this board and Bonnie who keeps trim maintaining (i.e. she works her bum off) the Vault must despair and wonder what they have to do. Before you ask, the PM did NOT come from either of them and it's origin might surprise many.

For mine, only one person on this board needs a pseudonym and that's for privacy reasons (well maybe PB too, but only because it barely qualifies as "pseudo").

One way might be to "hide" all the [Number of Posts] data. Folks, it's QUALITY, not quantity.

Please think about your posts and ask yourself "How does this contribute to what this board is really all about?"

My "Force Field" is active, so fire away.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Re: Memory Loss Strikes Small Town in Canada

Postby George » Sun May 06, 2007 8:59 pm

Al Darby wrote:Please think about your posts and ask yourself "How does this contribute to what this board is really all about?"

Hear, hear.

-- David Rumsey (my true name)
George

Postby Al Darby » Sun May 06, 2007 9:03 pm

George wrote:
Al Darby wrote:Please think about your posts and ask yourself "How does this contribute to what this board is really all about?"

Hear, hear.

-- David Rumsey (my true name)

Thanks "George", appreciated.

OK, who's next?
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Great post Al.

Postby deeds30 » Sun May 06, 2007 9:37 pm

Al, well said. :D
deeds30

Postby JenG » Sun May 06, 2007 9:40 pm

I agree also. If we all work together, I think we can get back to the "good ol' days". :D In fact, this is why we created the different roles for the members of the Admin team as well as changed the registration agreement so that anyone who joins will join because of the memories, culture and values that GTOL means to us all!
Last edited by JenG on Sun May 06, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby tessa » Sun May 06, 2007 9:41 pm

i agree.
for the moment, i'm entertaining myself in the archives.
some really, really good stuff there.
tessa

Postby Al Darby » Sun May 06, 2007 9:56 pm

tessa wrote:i agree.
for the moment, i'm entertaining myself in the archives.
some really, really good stuff there.

T,

In case you're wondering why the [Archives] are "Locked", it's because when we transferred from EZBoard to phpBB, we were able to "capture" the old posts and bring them with us, but ... the conversion process left them in a state that meant you could not "edit", or add to the threads, for fear of corrupting the lot.

At the time, it was deemed a better option to at least have the detail there to read, exactly as you're doing.

If you find a thread, or thought you'd like to revisit, [Copy] the relevant text from the [Archive] and open a new thread in the current active [Forums], with maybe a "link" to the original thread and give it a "new" life.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby tessa » Sun May 06, 2007 10:01 pm

oh...that's great to know, al. i had actually wanted to respond to some of those threads, but didn't because they were locked.
i'm also curious about some of the pics that are referrenced in those threads...are they somewhere too?...or were they lost in the move. (excellent that you were able to bring over the old threads. that's rare, isn't it?)
tessa

Postby BonnieC » Sun May 06, 2007 10:05 pm

Im with ya Al!!! :)
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sun May 06, 2007 10:25 pm

tessa wrote:oh...that's great to know, al. i had actually wanted to respond to some of those threads, but didn't because they were locked.
i'm also curious about some of the pics that are referrenced in those threads...are they somewhere too?...or were they lost in the move. (excellent that you were able to bring over the old threads. that's rare, isn't it?)

T,

A lot of the pics got lost because they were longer available from their original location.

That's sort of why Colin introduced the Vault. The idea was to post the picture in the Vault, then open a thread that linked the [img] to the Vault and discuss the picture in the boards. If you look at my post of "Lucky Chucky's Ride" you'll see that's what I've done.

To get them back you'd have to contact the original poster to see they can be added to the Vault. Not at all sure how you'd go about editing the archived post to reflect the new location without destroying the thread, but I'm sure it can be done.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Al Darby » Sun May 06, 2007 10:25 pm

BonnieC wrote:Im with ya Al!!! :)

Tks Bonnie, you're a "Sweetie". ;)
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby colbuki » Sun May 06, 2007 10:28 pm

well Al, I have no problem with what you're saying, I really don't. However, I've said before and I'll say it again... reality is I don't share a lot of memories with most people here (there are a couple exceptions, they know who they are ) This note is obviously to more people than just Al, the writer of the PM and the others who are thinking the same thing... Al is just the messenger.

I have participated in memories threads, helped to reconnect some old friends, and reconnected with some myself. If someone new shows up that I know I am more than happy to take a walk down memory lane with them, memories are great. That being said I've also participated in most (if not all) of the joke threads too. I fail to see how these threads, even the wicked Gilligan, are preventing those Georgetown posts that everyone is missing so much. Please go ahead, post away, I'll probably join in on those too.

Really, are you personally any more interested in what I did at a high school dance in 1985 than how many coconut punches we're going to drink while waiting for Joe to finish his lap of the island? not likely. I'm a Georgetown girl, was born there, graduated GDHS and lots of stuff in the middle there... I belong here. There's just not that many people I have memories with to share, but I've certainly been building some nice friendships with my new acquaintances.

Can all the threads not just live in peaceful coexistence? Must every reader be interested in every post?
colbuki

Postby Al Darby » Sun May 06, 2007 10:51 pm

colbuki wrote:[...]
Can all the threads not just live in peaceful coexistence? Must every reader be interested in every post?

I just think it would be nice if the posts were on theme, i.e. about Georgetown.

If you don't want to write about Georgetown and / or are bored with the topic ("Been There, Done That"), why clutter up the place with 8+ pages of guessing who Chucky may or may not be.

You and Chucky could be on any one of a million boards and the thread would still have as much relevance and you could have all the fun you want.

JMHO
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby tessa » Sun May 06, 2007 11:01 pm

well...we could lead by example, i suppose.
okay...i'm ready.
al...
you start! :wink:
tessa

Postby Lisa Copland » Sun May 06, 2007 11:13 pm

Well, I see both sides of this issue but I have to say that while I have enjoyed reading some memory lane type stuff it is actually the Gilligan's Island and Sistahood that keep me coming back. I enjoy the characters and the banter and the silliness.

Life is stressful, I want to come here and have some fun.

For the record, some of the Gilligan's Island stuff is actually me and a second cousin, both from Georgetown, who don't really have a shared history because we didn't grow up together, connecting now, as adults. It is a Georgetown connection that wouldn't have been made if not for this board. FYI, our parents (mine still in Georgetown, his in Florida) are following, from the sidelines, and quite enjoying the fact that Jeff and I are having fun here.

You can't please all the people all the time and this goes back to what I said when Mike Xanthios was around. We all knew what Mike was about and could choose to read or not read. Chances are if Chucky, Jeff, Kim or I are around there is going to be some silliness. Read it or don't, it's your choice and we won't be offended if you choose not to read or participate.

There's my two cents worth. Once again, for free! :wink:
Lisa Copland

Postby colbuki » Sun May 06, 2007 11:17 pm

I could say the same of many discussions I've seen, including most recently you and Tessa on OZ politics.. but you'll notice I never did. You see I really do believe we all have a connection and a place here...

I really do follow my own words... I don't want to play on your thread, so I don't. I'm perfectly fine with it being here though.
If a regular here wants to talk about something then I say let them talk about it... if you're interested then fill yer boots...
colbuki

Postby Al Darby » Mon May 07, 2007 1:15 am

colbuki wrote:I could say the same of many discussions I've seen, including most recently you and Tessa on OZ politics.. but you'll notice I never did. You see I really do believe we all have a connection and a place here...

I really do follow my own words... I don't want to play on your thread, so I don't. I'm perfectly fine with it being here though.
If a regular here wants to talk about something then I say let them talk about it... if you're interested then fill yer boots...

Kim and Elsie,

I'm not trying to be mean, or pick a fight. I had a thought expressed to me, I felt the same and passed it on. That's it.

JenG suggested [Clues] had gone on long enough (as does Don), I agreed (albeit enthusiastically).

I didn't want to even do the OZ politics in the first place, but Elsie said she was "interested", so Tessa and I had our "debate", heated and verbose as it was, it only lasted one (1) page and we mutually agreed, that was enough.

This is NOT a Chat Room and don't tell me NOT to read it. If you didn't want everybody to read it, why post it on a Public Forum?

If you want to debate it, take it back to the debate Forum and we can get into it.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Al Darby » Mon May 07, 2007 1:19 am

tessa wrote:well...we could lead by example, i suppose.
okay...i'm ready.
al...
you start! :wink:

Nice try T.

The archives are wall to wall with my ramblings, as my Mommy always taught me:
Ladies First :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby tessa » Mon May 07, 2007 1:29 am

psst...al:
but i aint no lady :wink:
tessa

Postby chucky » Mon May 07, 2007 1:53 am

Al, are you kidding me? Your actually getting upset about this? This forum is about having fun. I was just having fun and now I will continue to have fun. I am one to give in so as not to cause tension but, I am VERY against your stance on how we are communicating. Are you really saying I have to give a history on my life in georgetown every time I log in. (don't see you doing that) I would think I should be able to be myself and talk as I am now and how I live my life now. If I want to get people involved in a guessing game and they get hooked. That should be thier decision and NOT YOURS.) My only question would be why are you here. Debate or a return to G-town? My stance is I will not reply to you cause I'm here to engage with some old friends. In the past I thought you were the same.
Not trying to pick a fight but, I will not stop posting messages cause YOU don't like it. Stop reading my friend and I mean that in a nice way.
chucky

Postby Al Darby » Mon May 07, 2007 3:05 am

chucky wrote:Al, are you kidding me? Your actually getting upset about this? This forum is about having fun. I was just having fun and now I will continue to have fun. I am one to give in so as not to cause tension but, I am VERY against your stance on how we are communicating. Are you really saying I have to give a history on my life in georgetown every time I log in. (don't see you doing that) I would think I should be able to be myself and talk as I am now and how I live my life now. If I want to get people involved in a guessing game and they get hooked. That should be thier decision and NOT YOURS.) My only question would be why are you here. Debate or a return to G-town? My stance is I will not reply to you cause I'm here to engage with some old friends. In the past I thought you were the same.
Not trying to pick a fight but, I will not stop posting messages cause YOU don't like it. Stop reading my friend and I mean that in a nice way.

Goodonya Chucky, you take care and have a good time.

FTR, I never said I wanted your "history", it's of no consequence.

Obviously it's not your intention to even pretend that you care about why Don and Colin started this board, so really nothing you have to say (so far) supports their vision. You just want a sandbox to play in, so play on.

Sorry, you won't "reply" to me. If I ever got to know you, who knows, but hey, you're a "Man of Mystery" and a "Fun Person".

I'm not interested in having a barney with anyone. Steinbock came after me, so I accommodated him.

You have a right to say what you think, as do I, so don't get bent out of shape if I exercise my right.

Remember, I'm not the one that suggested the Chucky thread be wound up, I just agreed with the sentiment.

Explain yourself to JenG and Don, they're the ones that asked, or would you prefer to continue pretending that it was me that asked?

Please be good enough to show me one post, directed to you, that asks/tells you to stop posting.
(Thinks: "Hmmm... sure hope that "bold" move doesn't backfire, but I think I'm OK")
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby BonnieC » Mon May 07, 2007 10:43 am

Al Darby wrote:
BonnieC wrote:Im with ya Al!!! :)

Tks Bonnie, you're a "Sweetie". ;)

Yeah I know...Just can't help it :D

Tessa: On the subject of pics lost, last year I came home from holidays to discover that some little bugger from out west got into Colin's computer and deleted all the pics that we had on there. I did back up what I had on disks Thank God. However we lost what others had posted. And when we changed over to the new site, I took everything from the achieves and posted them. So that's where I am right now.
Actually I'm stuck in a rut noone is sending anything...hint hint., and I'm pretty sure that someone on here has a bunch of pics that HE can share, as a matter of fact I've already asked HIM a few months ago to look and HE said HE would...hmmmmm wonder what happened with that...AL any Idea?????
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby BonnieC » Mon May 07, 2007 10:47 am

Al Darby wrote:Still fresh from my "Political Warfare" debate, I thought I'd raise another (potentially) divisive issue, to whit:

People like Don, who lives and dies for this board and Bonnie who keeps trim maintaining (i.e. she works her bum off) the Vault must despair and wonder what they have to do. Before you ask, the PM did NOT come from either of them and it's origin might surprise many.

Ok I know my butt is alittle skinny but I'm working on it...I've come to the conclusion that it will never look like J-Lo's but did you really have to tell everyone? :)
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby jester1-2 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:49 pm

If people have memories to share then who is stopping them? And how does a thread "clutter" up the board? I can see the thin end of a wedge here slipping in, is your point on topic-are you interesting enough to read- are you writing a bit too much or not enough. How restrictive are we going to get here anyway, does everthing have to be G'town related, of historical or memorial purpose? Will all posts have to be vetted before they are posted up for public view? Sorry Al but if you find some threads not funny or boring do what I do-stay away from them. I am probably one of the worse for spouting nonsense here anyway but if the board is going more restrictive and restrained then a lot will be lost, mostly interest..........
jester1-2

Postby Lisa Copland » Mon May 07, 2007 5:28 pm

J12 - please don't ever stop spouting your "nonsense". You're a fun guy and I come here for the fun! :D
Lisa Copland

Next

Return to Archives - Website & Message Board