New spam bot countermeasures

GTOL – Website, Message Board and Vault – News and Announcements

Moderator: Mark Llew

Forum rules
Users are welcome to [POSTREPLY], but are requested not to create a [NEWTOPIC]. Thank you.

New spam bot countermeasures

Postby Al Darby » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:18 am

Lately, we've been pestered by a spate of phony member registrations (spam bots - Google it). It only takes me about 3-5 mouse clicks to get rid of them, but it's a nuisance and it takes up time that could be more productively utilised.

To this end, I've introduced a newer version of spambot countermeasures: reCAPTCHA (see above). It's supposed to be stronger than our previous countermeasure, but no more complex to use.

Go here to Learn More About reCAPTCHA and how it helps digitise old books and newspapers.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Re: New spam bot countermeasures

Postby Scooter1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Way to go Al, it is a pain getting rid of them manually, that is what ticked Jennifer off.
Don
Scooter1

Postby Al Darby » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:57 pm

Scooter1 wrote:Way to go Al, it is a pain getting rid of them manually, that is what ticked Jennifer off.
Don

:confused: Not sure it's working Don, still seem to be getting them. Trying to find out why. As I said, easy enough to delete them, but a PITA.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Scooter1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 pm

I see that Al, it is TOO BAD that, that many real members were attempting to join, it is a good site, how do we get that across to people?
Don
Scooter1

Postby Al Darby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:48 am

Been researching the problem and it seems that reCAPTCHA is 99.9% effective at stopping spam bots, but it can't stop people, as per this article:
"Yeah, it seems one of the biggest problems now is slave labour being used to register as a human, then the name and password being used in scripts to spam the site. It's already annoying on our site, and I may try and implement the reCaptcha on the log-in page permanently, so bots can't get in all the time. Annoying for users though."
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Scooter1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Boy Al, the SPAMMERS are having a HayDay...
Scooter1

Postby Al Darby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Scooter1 wrote:Boy Al, the SPAMMERS are having a HayDay...

You're not kidding, I deleted ~30 this morning. It's been less than 10 per day, but has sky-rocketed. Fortunately, they don't get in and clag up the boards with crap.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Return to GTOL – News and Announcements