iPics Added to GTOL Website

GTOL – Website, Message Board and Vault – News and Announcements

Moderator: Mark Llew

Forum rules
Users are welcome to [POSTREPLY], but are requested not to create a [NEWTOPIC]. Thank you.

iPics Added to GTOL Website

Postby Al Darby » Sat May 08, 2010 2:41 am

iPics are images that have been rendered in Adobe Flash, using SWiSH, a software package that makes Flash objects much easier to create. Flash objects cannot be hosted in the Georgetown Photo Gallery on Flickr.

They include School / Class pictures, Street Maps of Who Lived Where, Newspaper articles, etc.

These images allow you to run your mouse over faces / locations shown on the image and instantly see names / details about that face / location.

If you <right-click> on the images, you'll be able to Zoom In or Out, for a better view. If you've zoomed in for a better view, you can drag the picture around by holding down your left mouse key while you drag.

Some of them are very large and may take some time to download.

If you come across an image that has missing / incorrect / incomplete detail <click> on the [PM] button and email me with the details.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Re: iPics Added to GTOL Website

Postby Al Darby » Tue May 11, 2010 11:12 pm

A new class photo has been added to iPics.

1953 - GHS - Grade 11

The picture is taken from the Herald, c. 1983:
"Former Herald staffer Garfield McGilvray came up with this 30 year old photo of the Grade 11 students at Georgetown District High School and has managed to identify most. See anyone you recognise from September 1953?"

There's a couple of unknowns in the picture: 1) the girl holding the sign and 2) the boy with glasses and wide collars in the back row (I thought it might be Phil Wade, but not sure).

Go to iPics, select the [Class/School Pictures] tab, then <click> on 1953 - GHS - Grade 11.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Make Your Own iPics

Postby Al Darby » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:58 am

For years now, I've been using a product called SWiSH to create the iPIcs on the website. Just recently I purchased a product called Snagit from TechSmith and just learned how to use it to create a form of iPics, see the following video and where you see an image of a bicycle, think of a photograph with a group of people in it.

I have no financial interest in the product, like you, I'm just a user and thought you might find it interesting and useful. Sadly, at present, you can't upload them to flickr
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Return to GTOL – News and Announcements