RSS Feeds Added to Message Board

GTOL – Website, Message Board and Vault – News and Announcements

Moderator: Mark Llew

Forum rules
Users are welcome to [POSTREPLY], but are requested not to create a [NEWTOPIC]. Thank you.

RSS Feeds Added to Message Board

Postby Al Darby » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:35 am

<click> on the orange RSS button

rss.jpg
RSS Feed Button
rss.jpg (2.37 KiB) Viewed 1577 times

and select the feed you want, then subscribe to it, e.g. [New Topics], it'll show up as [GTOL Message Board] under the [Feeds] tab

In Internet Explorer (IE), you can view the updates under [Favorites] - [Feeds], then select the feed you've subscribed to (e.g. [GTOL Message Board]). In IE you can change the timing for how often it checks for new feeds by <right-clicking> on the selected feed button, then select [Properties]. While you're there, I recommend reading the [Help] (lower left corner of [Properties])

In Firefox (FF), you can view the updates by <clicking> on the selected feed button (e.g. [GTOL Message Board]), which shows in the line directly under the [Address Bar]. I don't use FF all that much, so I'm not all that up to date on [Feeds] in FF.

RSS Feeds let you see what's new / changed on the Message Board quickly and easily. If you see a topic you'd like to respond to, simply <click> on it and you'll be taken to that topic in the Message Board, where you may reply / whatever.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Re: RSS Feeds Added to Message Board

Postby Al Darby » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Another way to see the Feeds is to install a Feed Reader.

There are heaps of them out there and FWIW, I'm using RSSOwl Reader
It's a bit tricky to set up, but worth the effort. I've got it set up to look for new posts, every 5 minutes and when it gets one, it notifies me in the [System Tray] area and If I want to [Reply] to the post, I simply <click> on the notification and it will take me directly to the post in the Forum.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Al Darby » Sat May 01, 2010 10:43 am

Curious, has anyone besides me actually set up their PC to read RSS Feeds?

After all these years of visiting the site many times a day, I find it strange to have the site come to me and let me know when there's something there for me to read and then lets me read it without actually visiting the boards.

The only time I come here now, is to reply to a post, or to post a message of my own.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Scooter1 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi Al, I have been playing with it! I still like to come to the site daily, it is like opening the fridge door, nothing has changed but always hoping.
Scooter1

Postby Al Darby » Sat May 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Scooter1 wrote:Hi Al, I have been playing with it! I still like to come to the site daily, it is like opening the fridge door, nothing has changed but always hoping.

Good comment Don. :clap:

Are you doing it through your Browser (which I don't recommend, but works) or using something like RSSOwl (which I do recommend)?
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Al Darby » Sun May 02, 2010 12:01 am

Don, maybe the value of the RSS feed is that it lets you know there's something "changed in the fridge" and now would be a good time to visit as opposed to looking in and being disappointed.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby JenG » Tue May 04, 2010 3:18 pm

I use my Google Reader for RSS feeds but for the blogs I read. I like this format for the boards.
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby Al Darby » Tue May 04, 2010 5:57 pm

JenG wrote:I use my Google Reader for RSS feeds but for the blogs I read. I like this format for the boards.

My use of the RSS feed has evolved into a Hedzup system.

It lets me know when there's something new to look at,
I open it up to see where the new stuff is,
mark it read (in the RSS Reader only),
<double-click> on the item and RSSOwl (my RSS Reader) takes me to that item in the Message Board and
it's business as usual once I'm there.

Saves me from living there, or checking every few minutes for updates.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Al Darby » Fri May 03, 2013 10:20 am

The RSS feed for the new (old?) board is working again, here's the URL to add to your RSS Reader:
http://georgetown-online.com/phpbb3/feed.php
Lets you keep up to date with what's happening, without having to login every 5 minutes to check if there's anything new and you just know you want to keep up to date on the JB <-> PB banter!! :amen:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Return to GTOL – News and Announcements