Welcome to the HOMECOMING 2012 Forum

At this forum you can post your thoughts and suggestions about a HOMECOMING REUNION in 2013, suggest the best dates and express your interest. We will keep you abreast of what is happening on a regular basis!

Moderator: Scooter1

Welcome to the HOMECOMING 2012 Forum

Postby Scooter1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:38 pm

As we set the wheels in motion for a HOMECOMING in 2012 and work with GDHS on their 125th Anniversary which will showcase the KIWANIS FIELD ('Field of Dreams'), the NEW look after an extensive FACELIFT and the newly added ALUMNI HALL OF FAME. We look to offering several interesting things to see and do and look forward to having a great party with some super entertainment.

We will need your help spreading the word and if you would like to assist please let us know.
Either post here or send me a PM. If you are thinking about attending, please post your name here.

(We will not force you... or hold it against you if you can't make it :laff: )

In case you missed it, here's the PICTURES from HOMECOMING 2007

:cheer: :clap: :cheer: :clap: :cheer:
Scooter1

Re: Welcome to the HOMECOMING 2012 Forum

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:17 pm

I missed the 2007 homecoming and very much looking forward to attending the 2012 Homecoming. Preference for the time of year to attend would be May through to September.
Nancy Parker (Mingo)
Nancy

Postby John_Bailey » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello Nancy.
What part of the world are you living in?
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Scooter1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:50 pm

Hello Nancy,
Sure hope to see you, just attempting to get a few things in order, then the planning will begin. it will be a blast, since we have the very successful model to draw from in the HOMECOMING 2007.
Don
Scooter1

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi John
I have been living in Coldwater just north of Barrie for about 30.....years. My brother Doug lives in Penetang.
Where has the time gone. I have been viewing the GTOL site for a while now and it sure does bring back alot of hometown memories back.

Nancy
Nancy

Postby John_Bailey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Funny how time does fly, we've been in Erin for 41 years.
Talk about over the hill and half way down the other side.
Not quite as bad as living in the Glen though.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:35 pm

John_Bailey wrote:Funny how time does fly, we've been in Erin for 41 years.
Talk about over the hill and half way down the other side.
Not quite as bad as living in the Glen though.

It sure does John. I've been here in OZ for just over 40 years and it only seems like yesterday that I first encountered "Aussie Humour".

In those days, you had to have a quarantine booklet showing you'd had certain shots (Yellow Fever, etc.) and I'd had mine but the book wasn't "stamped" by the correct department. The Immigration Officer noted this and said "Technically, I should put you into quarantine for 6 weeks, but I'm pretty sure you're right Mate, besides the cost of feeding you would be too much to bear".

What really hurt was that I was "slim and fit" at the time and he reckoned otherwise.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby John_Bailey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:35 pm

You're not chubby Al, you're just to short.
Now PB on the other hand is tall.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:02 am

John_Bailey wrote:You're not chubby Al, you're just to short.
Now PB on the other hand is tall.

Thanks JB, but according to my BMI, I'm "morbidly obese", but then so is Arnold Schwarzenegger. :coocoo: :scratch: :coocoo:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Suzanne French » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:08 pm

My sister, Cherie, and I missed the 2007 reunion and would really like to be at the next one in 2012. We'll let our brothers, Paul and Gregg, know and maybe we will all be there. We look forward to hearing what the date will be! :clap:
I left GDHS in 1965 at the request of the school as I was having too much fun!!! I do have many, many great memories from my days in Georgetown.

Warm wishes to you all, Suzanne
Suzanne French

Postby Scooter1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:47 pm

SUZANNE and the rest of the FRENCH family, you are remembered fondly and it would be great to see you again. We will keep you updated here at the site and at the FAN page at FB, but this will be the main site to check. I think I recall you have some good times at GDHS.
Take care,
Don
Scooter1

Setting the Date

Postby Petitbois » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:46 pm

I guess the most important detail people will want to know is the date of the GDHS 125th Anniversary celebrations.
Have they committed to a date yet, Don?
Perhaps that can't happen until after the new principal is in place for Sept.'10, and the administration determines the scope of the school's celebrations. Certainly between now and 2012 there will be many other projects going on at GDHS to distract them, including the massive renovations of the school, and the Field of Dreams. Hopefully, celebrating 125 years of school history will continue to be a top priority for the students and staff and administration. We know that the alumni are eagerly looking forward to the celebration.

The date is the single most important detail in determining the success of the event, in my opinion.
Will it be during the school year, while staff are available to work on it?
If so, that may preclude numerous out-of-town/province alumni from attending if it doesn't coincide with their holiday time.

Will it be in the summer, as in 1987?
That allows more flexibility for attendees, but may interfere with GDHS staffers who are on their own holidays and not available. A summer date also provides an opportunity for a larger town-wide celebration, as with the HC2007. As Don knows, the end of July dates for HC 2007 were dictated by the only available weekend that the ice surfaces were 'ice-free' at the twin arenas. We didn't pick the date for HC2007- it picked us!

If there is interest in having a big dance or other activity outside of GDHS, sponsored and planned by community groups/committees, the arenas are the only game in town if large crowds are expected. Seems funny that summer arena/hockey schedules are the tail that wags the dog, but that's the reality in our town when groups look for a large venue for events.

There has been much discussion since HC2007 about whether the high school could even hold the type of celebration so many of us enjoyed in 1987, and look forward to again. That weekend, there was a mass social at the school on the Friday evening, followed the next day by two dances at the school itself. One was inside, for the older alumni, while out back of the tech wing, a disc jockey played for the hugely successful parking lot dance.

Liquor laws have changed since then, though groups can still get special permits for alcohol on school properties, I believe. Certainly there will much more resistance in 2012 to a Board/school sanctioned party involving alcohol than there was in 1987.
Holding a separate community based dance/party on the same weekend as the 125th school celebration seems like a good solution to the licensing issues, but then we're back to when the ice is out at Memorial (if it is still with us) or the twin arena facility.
And if GDHS decides to run their celebration in May or October of 2012, a big party/dance may not even be possible without ice-free rinks.

It certainly is encouraging to read that there is interest in 2012, but as any member of the HC2007 committee can attest, it requires a hardworking and dedicated committee to make it happen. Two years may sound like a long time to plan, but it isn't. The GDHS committee for 1987 worked on their plan for 5 years.

Will 2012 be a 125th celebration for GDHS only?
Or will there be a larger HC 2012 involving much more of the community?

It might come down to when the arena ice is out.
The date is the big factor.
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby Aligreen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:52 pm

And HC2007 was in the planning stages for three years with of course the last year requiring the most work and leadership. Unfortunately the HC2007 Committee was a small one so multiple tasks were taken on by a few.
Aligreen

Postby keith bennett » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Gail and I had so much fun at the last one, we can hardly wait for the next. I'll start passing the word around to my contacts now.
keith bennett

Postby Scooter1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Addressing Dave's comments, yes I fully agree the DATE is the BIG item. I have scheduled a meeting for WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2010 at 7:30 at the POLICE STATION COMMUNITY ROOM, the meeting is to share thoughts and ideas from the very successful HOMECOMING 2007, get new ideas and thoughts about changes etc. Put together some proposals as to how we see the GDHS and other groups can working together so it can be presented when I meet with the GDHS folks on SEPTEMBER 14th and establish what they are planning and when. I am please to say I have the verbal commitments from several of the HOMECOMING 2007 Committee to be Committee Members again, some early interest from a few more and advisory assistance from key people from 2007. Begin to form the team and begin a meeting schedule.
What date would you think would be best, it has been suggested that perhaps piggybacking with the BIG DADDY CELEBRATION in JUNE (FATHER'S DAY WEEKEND) might be a good idea, your thoughts.
Dave if the MEMORIAL is still standing, there will not be an ICE issue and it might be a great send off for the GRAND LADY on JOHN STREET (now Mill St.) There is a couple of outside groups interested and a few bands from 2007 that would be interested also in playing again.
If you have an interest and would like to attend on the 8th, please PM me as room is limited!
Thanks,
Don Fendley
Scooter1

Postby u-pickedcotton » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 am

I think 2012 is the 10th anniversary for CTK high school
u-pickedcotton

Postby Scooter1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Yes Neil, I believe you are correct.
Scooter1

Postby Hugo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Can't wait to attend Homecoming 2012!! 2007 was great and I believe 2012 will be even bigger and better. Since we have been away from Georgetown for a long time, there are so many people we look forward to getting a chance to see and get caught up with. It was certainly worth the trip from Arizona in 2007. People of all ages should realize that it is not just a get together for the older folks, but for everyone. I realize many people that still live in the area or Southern Ontario may feel like they don't need to attend since they still many old faces, but the more people that attend make it that much more fun for everyone. Hope to see you all there!
Hugo

Return to Homecoming 2013