Local history

Welcome to Hometown? ... Georgetown!, a place to view and relive some of the history of Georgetown, feel free to add a post and share your memories. Georgetown will always be Home!

Moderator: John_Bailey

Local history

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Today PB mentioned to me an interesting piece of lore from his family.

According to PB, the condom was invented in Erin in 1872, using a goat's lower intestine.

But in 1873 Josiah Smallwood, a resident of Glen Williams, refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.

A fascinating, and little-known, piece of local history !
:cheer:
Mark Llew

Re: Local history

Postby Al Darby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Probably explains why there weren't so many "kids" when I was growing up. :clap: :bolt: :hide:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

The Downside of Unsupervised Medication

Postby Petitbois » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 am

ManwithtoomanyLL's, you are a
bbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad boy!
I bet just composing that fascinating imaginary tidbit made you itch to slip into your high rubber boots, and stride aimlessly along the fetid Beaches of the East End of the Big Smoke, looking for some sheep to herd. Or worse.

Great-uncle Josiah, twice removed on my father's side, and once from the Station House, was a brilliant inventor, philosopher, marketer, visionary, and entramanure. In January 1873 he met a few coal-blackened Welshits huddled around a peat fire under the single lane bridge near the Beaumont Mill. As a result of studying their bizarre social customs**, he switched from goat to lambskin, and Fourex Skins were born.

Canadian trivia, for Canada Day.
PB

**Josiah was the first social anthropologist to record the use of sheep turds as an aphrodisiac in herder societies.
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Return to Hometown? ... Georgetown!