Google 1980's

Read Only - Bits and pieces from the former 80s & 90s Forums, but mostly anything that was posted since April 2007 in the Decades Forum!

Google 1980's

Postby deeds30 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:21 am

A little summary of the 80's...

1980 (The year of Dallas)
-Who Shot JR? is talked about heavily from the TV show Dallas. On November 21, the conclusion draws more viewers than any other show in TV history up to that point.
-Brooke Shields whispers, "You know what comes between me and my Calvins? Nothing." the ad was banned.

1981 (The year of the Pac-Man)
-Prince Charles and Diana Spencer marry on July 29
-Luke and Lauras's Wedding (General Hospital), Most watched wedding in history next to Charles and Diana.

1982 (The year of the Thriller)
-Michael Jackson's "Thriller" sells 20 million albums to become the largest selling record ever.
-Ozzy bites the head off a live bat thrown at him at a January 20 performance.

1983 (The year of the Cabbage Patch doll)
-The final episode of M*A*S*H airs, advertising cost more than during the Super Bowl that year, and surpassing the record Dallas set for most viewers.

1984 (The year of the Cosby Show)
-Stonewashed jeans are introduced.
-Apple Computer releases the Macintosh personal computer.

1985 (The year of the benefit concerts)
-Billy Joel marries Christie Brinkley... millions of men suddenly feel like they stand a chance with an attractive woman.
-New coke is introduced in April and quickly replaced with original Coke

1986 (The year of disasters)
- "A.M. Chicago" changes its name to the "Oprah Winfrey Show" and goes national September 8th.
-January 28, the Challenger explodes.

1987 (The year of the baby)
-"Baby Jessica," Jessica McClure falls down the well and is later rescued. Wednesday October 14th, 1987 --9:30am cst through Friday October 16th, 1987--8:30pm cst
-Battle for "Baby M" begins. William and Eilizabeth Stern of New Jersey hired Mary Beth Whitehead to carry a baby to term for them. After it was all over, surrogate contracts were declared illegal and the Sterns won the right to bring "Baby M" up and allow Mrs. Whitehead visitation rights.

1988 (The year of the CD)
-CDs outsell vinyl for the first time ever.
-Bobby McFerrin tells everyone "Don't worry, be happy"

1989 (The year of the Fall of the Wall)
-The fall of the Berlin wall on November 9th.
-Milli Vanilli gets Best New Artist Grammy which is later stripped when it's learned they were lip synching for another (much uglier) duo.
deeds30

Re: Google 1980's

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:11 pm

deeds30 wrote:1983
-The final episode of M*A*S*H airs, advertising cost more than during the Super Bowl that year, and surpassing the record Dallas set for most viewers.

Was also a record breaker for the most flushed toilets in history after the M*A*S*H* episode aired. :lol:

Postby Gloria Jones » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:16 pm

1980 (The year of Dallas)

Dallas was the only soap I every got hooked on. Never watched the day time ones even though I was a stay at home Mom for many years.
We didn't have a VCR (don't think they were out then) so I couldn't tape the episodes if I wasn't home. Just hated to miss one.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby John_Bailey » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:21 pm

VCR, you're not that old Gloria, well maybe. :lol:
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Re: Google 1980's

Postby JenG » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:36 pm

deeds30 wrote:1983 (The year of the Cabbage Patch doll)

I remember we all brought our dolls to school and lined them up on the chalkboard ledge while we did our school work!

deeds30 wrote:1984 (The year of the Cosby Show)
-Stonewashed jeans are introduced.
-Apple Computer releases the Macintosh personal computer.

I grew up on the Cosby Show. I still like to watch an episode now and then! :)
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Return to Archives - All Decades