The Spoons

Read Only - Bits and pieces from the former 80s & 90s Forums, but mostly anything that was posted since April 2007 in the Decades Forum!

The Spoons

Postby Barry Jowett » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:04 pm

This will interest children of the 80s, and particularly anyone who was a fan of New Wave.

The Spoons have released a new album -- "Unexpected Guest at a Cancelled Party" -- their first album in nearly two decades. The best thing about it, for me, is that the material all dates from their glory days, 1982-85. All the songs on the new album were recorded during this time period, by the band's original lineup, but were never released until now.

I saw the Spoons live many, many times in the old days, and knew a number of these songs quite well. I believe the main reason most of these songs were never included on an album was that the band changed their musical direction rather dramatically, and the songs on the new CD didn't quite fit their new sound.

If you were a fan of the band or of new wave, you'll love this album. It's strong material, and sometimes really outstanding. There were a couple of songs, in particular (Love Drum and Unpremeditated Love) that I thought would have been huge hits had they come out in 1985, which was when the Spoons may have been at the height of their popularity.

It's only available by mail order at the moment, which is unfortunate ... but on the other hand, doesn't that give it a little bit of a retro feel? (Don't pretend you never sent away for a K-Tel album!)

Details can be found at www.thespoons.ca for anyone who's interested. I give it a high recommendation.

There's also news there about some shows the Spoons are playing this summer. I'm going to see them this Sunday ... the first Spoons show I've been to in 11 years. I hope the band's aged better than I have ...
Last edited by Barry Jowett on Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Jowett

Postby colbuki » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks for the info. Barry I will definately go check it out! and no I actually didn't send away for any K-Tel records but I did join Columbia house... many, many times! so I still know the feeling!
cheers
colbuki

Postby Barry Jowett » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:52 pm

colbuki wrote:and no I actually didn't send away for any K-Tel records

Oh, uh, neither did I. Especially not that Breakdance album. I was just checking to see if other people had, because that would be lame.

Columbia House ... definitely. I still remember the first time I joined Columbia House, and some of the tapes I got. "Some Great Reward" by Depeche Mode was in there, as was U2's "Under a Blood Red Sky". And I believe I got the Dire Straits album with "Walk of Life" and "Money for Nothing" ... I can't remember the name of the album. It was a good collection of tapes, even if they did start yelling at me when I didn't fulfill my contract agreement. They didn't hold a grudge ... they've still got me for their DVD club.
Barry Jowett

Postby Barry Jowett » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Clarification ... It was Columbia House that started yelling at me, not the tapes. Was that clear? Really, I wasn't hearing the tapes talk to me.
Barry Jowett

Postby tessa » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:01 pm

i was about to say, you have to be kidding barry, i got my k-tel records at zellers! erm. or under the christmas tree.
yes.
those were the two ways.

thanks for the info on the spoons.
look how fluid language is...since you are referring to songs previously not making it onto the CD...when it was definitely records back then.
brup-chk-chk
brup-chk-chk
brup-chk-chk

ah yes.
the good ole days of crackling vinyl records.
tessa

Postby George » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:25 pm

tessa wrote:ah yes.
the good ole days of crackling vinyl records.

<tongue-in-cheek>

"good ole days"? "good ole days"??!!!??

I'll have you know Miss Tessa that my turntable is still up and functional! I have spare belts, spare cartridges, and lots of good vinyl to listen to. Yes Sir! Stockpiled I am!!!

Bring on all that mp3 stuff, go on! I'll quash it's crappy quality with a good amp and a smooth and steady arm. You can't beat analog anyday! Ha ha ahahahahahhahahahahahaahhahhhhaaa.

</tongue-in-cheek>

Ok, Ok, I'm not that fanatic about it but hey, I love my records and they still produce a fuller sound than any duplicates I hear on a CD. Besides, try to find the 12" EP of Alphaville's "Forever Young", or perhaps the 12" of Strange Advance's "Love Games". I've got stuff that was hard to find even in the 80's, and now has all but disappeared. And I only have a fraction of what Scott (MacLean) saved from our DJ days. You just can't find that stuff on CD anymore, and like I said, the quality does not match the depth of the analog versions.

Just my 2 cents,
Dave
George

Vinyl

Postby deeds30 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:43 pm

We have a box of vinyl sitting in our basement waiting for it to come back into style LOL. :lol:
deeds30

Postby tessa » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:20 pm

yeah...i'm still a fan of analog...but digital is definitely improving with age.
wonder what they'll obsolete it with next?
tessa

Postby Barry Jowett » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:50 am

tessa wrote:i was about to say, you have to be kidding barry, i got my k-tel records at zellers! erm. or under the christmas tree.
yes.
those were the two ways.

Ah, yes, K-Tel did go into stores eventually. They started out as mail-order only ... but I do recall buying them in stores. I mean, I recall seeing them for sale in stores. I'm pretty sure that, uh, this guy I know ordered a Breakdance record by mail order.

Speaking of K-Tel, there was a documentary about K-Tel on CBC recently. It was pretty interesting, actually, to learn about the growth, demise, and eventual re-emergence of the company. Yes, they exist again, apparently, but they're back to selling gadgets again. The company collapsed mainly because they couldn't make records the way they used to -- the "old" way was, essentially, skirting copyright laws and putting songs on records without paying the artists their due. When they had to pony up, it became too expensive a business for them.
Barry Jowett

Postby Barry Jowett » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:00 am

George wrote:Besides, try to find the 12" EP of Alphaville's "Forever Young", or perhaps the 12" of Strange Advance's "Love Games".

I know what you mean -- I've still got a box of records in the closet that I couldn't possibly replace, and I've been meaning to find a turntable so that I can transfer them all to CD -- a daunting task.

I'm not sure what was on the Forever Young EP, but I know the 12" version of the song was available on CD at some point, because I bought it in the early 90s.

One of the good things about the internet is that people are recording their vinyl records and making them available for download. The Spoons cite I linked above has all the Spoons old vinyl records, for example, including an indie single they recorded prior to Rob Preuss joining the band. Sooner or later, anything you want will be there!

Heck, if you've got the turntable and the means to copy in digital format, upload those bad boys! I'd love to see anything by Strange Advance available.
Barry Jowett

Postby Barry Jowett » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:02 pm

By the way, I saw the Spoons yesterday. Fantastic show ... they can still pump out the tunes. They're at the CNE on August 23rd ... if anyone's going to be at the Ex that day, I recommend stopping by to check them out.
Barry Jowett

Postby Barry Jowett » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:21 pm

Well, since we've got an 80s thread back up and running again, I thought I'd christen it by mentioning another 80s band making a concert appearance in the near future.

Blue Peter will be playing The Mod Club on October 5.
Barry Jowett

Postby colbuki » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:03 am

Putting it on the calendar now... hope I can make it... I wonder if I stand in the front with my camera facing the guitar guy the entire time if they'll remember me from 1984 LOL.. not likely but I'm there anyway. Thanks Barry!
colbuki

Postby deeds30 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:47 am

Kimmy, you are unforgettable and I do not think that you have aged, so I am sure that they will remember you!
deeds30

Postby colbuki » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:00 am

deeds30 wrote:Kimmy, you are unforgettable and I do not think that you have aged, so I am sure that they will remember you!

Thanks DeeDee... sometimes unforgettable is a good thing... sometimes not so much! I think if these guys did remember me it would be in a "hey, the freak with the camera is back" kind of way LOL. Oh well it's all good...
colbuki

Postby colbuki » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:28 pm

The show was AWESOME... was anybody else there? I had my eye for you Barry but it was pretty jammed. I was right up at front stage left, literally jammed up against the stage all through the Blue Peter part of the show. Had a little more room to dance for the Spoons part before all the latecomers arrived. Both bands were great and just as good as they were back when they played good old GDHS in 198?? shhhhh I don't really want to think about how many years ago :wink:

It's funny I was having a little flashback, I was standing literally at the feet of Chris (the guitarist I waited forever for him to look at me for the picture) and everytime I looked up at him I couldn't help but laugh at me... he hasn't changed a bit either :wink:
colbuki

Postby Barry Jowett » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:46 pm

I missed the show ... I'd been meaning to go but have been sick all week. Just as well that I never ordered tickets. Still, I'm kicking myself. I was really looking forward to seeing Blue Peter. (And the Spoons, of course, but I've already seen them this year.)

Glad to hear both bands were good. I knew the Spoons were in fine form this year, but I haven't seen Blue Peter since they became "Retro".
Barry Jowett

Return to Archives - All Decades