Joanne Daquano

Read Only - Includes GDHS Alumni Lost Archives

Joanne Daquano

Postby Mark Llew » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:00 pm

Extracted from Lives Lived, Globe and Mail March 7, 2007.

Written by Jeannine d'Entremont-Farrar, Joanne’s sister.

Joanne Daquano
Teacher, mother. Born June 30, 1965, in Georgetown, Ont. Died Sept. 11, 2006, in Georgetown, of breast cancer, aged 41.

Joanne often said, "If one more person says I'm an inspiration, I'm going to throw up!" Joanne was absolutely determined to live joyfully, even as she faced cancer, and the fear, pain and uncertainty that came with it. Whether she liked it or not, Joanne's courage and relentless optimism inspired her family, students, friends and even strangers…

Mrs. Daquano was the teacher that every student hoped to have and the one that they never forgot… During her illness, former students, many of whom left Georgetown for distant locales, wrote to tell her what she had meant to them and how she'd had an impact on their lives...

Some might have thought she was foolhardy, but Joanne’s fighting spirit and her faith in God gave her the courage to tackle challenges that even the healthiest people couldn’t imagine attempting… [D]uring yet another round of chemo, Joanne raised close to $30,000 for breast cancer research and treatment by walking 60 kilometres in the 2004 Weekend to End Breast Cancer. The next year, just a month after having a neck vertebra replaced, she was ready to walk that 60 kilometres all over again –but her hip gave out during the opening ceremonies. Despite the excruciating pain, she completed the first leg of the walk on day two and made a point of being at the finish line to greet the rest of her team.
Mark Llew

Postby colbuki » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks Mark. Joanne was a great inspiration whether she wanted to be or not. She was definately one of my motivators for joining the walk and as I get ready to do it for the 3rd time this year I definately still hold her story in my heart as one of the reasons to carry on. Too many kids without mothers and this one was one of the best examples of courage in the face of breast cancer a person could hope to see. If only we could have managed a cure sooner for her, it's heart breaking.

I have another reason this year too, I ran into a friend of mine recently that I hadn't seen in a couple of years. I almost didn't recognize her but sure enough there she was under the hat, missing her trademark Barbie doll long blond hair. She's only 2 or 3 years older than me, has 3 kids and is fighting for her life.

I walk for Judy, for Susan Garland (one of our own) and for Joanne... thanks for bringing Joanne back to the boards. She is definately someone who will be remembered and her legacy will carry on for years to come.
colbuki

Return to Archives - Old Forums & Shades of the Past