Roller Skating

Read Only - Includes GDHS Alumni Lost Archives

Roller Skating

Postby RichardDBurns » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:00 pm

I remember roller skating at the ice rink during the summer. Back in the days of four wheel skates. Many classmates used to skate there. I remember a Lynn Mitchell skated. <p></p><i></i>
RichardDBurns

Re: Roller Skating

Postby Lisa Copland » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:28 pm

Hey Richard:<br><br>I used to go roller skating (the old fashioned kind with four wheels) all the time too.<br><br>I'm not sure if we are from the same era or not - your name is not familiar to me. I used to go in the late 70's/early 80's.<br><br>Some of the kids I went with were Cathy May, Geoff Cannon, Bruce Reiger, Dan Taylor, Larry Reaume, Steve Swinsco and another ex South African named Tony whose last name escapes me.<br><br>My cousin, Barry Agnew, was one of the rink rats who used to have to keep us in line!<br><br>Welcome to GTOL! <p></p><i></i>
Lisa Copland

Postby RichardDBurns » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi Lisa. I was there in the late 60s and early 70s. Some of the family names are familiar. Do people still skate at the rink? Cheers, Richard <p></p><i></i>
RichardDBurns

Postby Lisa Copland » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:04 pm

Hi Richard:<br><br>I'm not sure if they still roller skate there or not. I don't live in town any more.<br><br>I was back at the good old Memorial Arena a couple of years ago to watch my friend's son play hockey but have no idea what they do with it in the summer now. I remember watching my friend Mike West play ball hockey there a few times in the summer as a teenager but I don't even know if they still use it for that.<br><br>Georgetown has a newer arena that was called The Gordon Alcott but was recently renovated to add another ice surface (so it is a double rink now) and the name was changed to Moldmasters Sportsplex. I don't remember ever being able to roller skate at that rink though. We did often go there for public ice skating.<br><br>Hopefully one of the current locals will chime in soon and give us the answer to the roller skating question!<br><br>Lisa <p></p><i></i>
Lisa Copland

Return to Archives - Old Forums & Shades of the Past