Old Bill, George and Hiram!

Read Only - Includes GDHS Alumni Lost Archives

Old Bill, George and Hiram!

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:16 pm

Hello<br>I have removed the 30s thread as it was suspect to the reality of you fellows. If in deed you are who you say you are, please accept my apologies. We try very hard to keep this board interesting and informative, once a poster has gained acceptance in the community, you might see a little poking of fun, but it returns to why it was.<br>If you are for real and wish to join in the banter, keeping it interesting and informative, that is great!<br><br>Regards,<br>Don Fendley <p></p><i></i>

Re: Old Bill, George and Hiram!

Postby Hiram » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:24 pm

Why you young scallywags ! I oughta…<br><br>Well here I am, all registered and all. Now what? I hear that I have to be interestin’ and informative to be acceptable on this here board. Well, let’s see about all that.<br><br>It seems to me that interestin’ is in the eye of the beholder, so’s to speak. Me, I like nuthin’ better than to sit here on the porch and talk about the weather. What the weather is today, and what it’s gonna be tommorra, and what it was yesterday. And how many days it’s been rainin’ here, and how many days it’s been rainin’ there. And how hot it is today and how does that compare to the summer of ’22. Oh yeah, I could talk about the weather for hours. And ice cream. I like talkin’ about ice cream as much as I like eatin’ the stuff. <br><br>But I hear there’s some what find that dull. As fur as I’m concerned, they’re a few nails short of a pennyworth, and they should be banned from this here board. But my great-grandson tells me ‘live and let live, you crotchety old coot, it’s the Christian thing to do. And besides, what if they decided that all your yakkin’ about the weather isn’t interesting and they ban YOU from the board?’<br><br>And I have to be informative. Informative ? Informative ? Well, if that’s what’s expected, it seems to me you’re runnin’ a pretty loose ship, Donnie me feller.<br><br>I asked my young grand-daughter what’s ‘informative’ mean in this here Information Age, and she told me it still meant "givin’ information". So asked her, so what’s information in this here Information Age. She called me a crotchety old coot too. In my day, we’d… Well, anyway, she tells me ‘information’ means ‘knowledge, news, a complaint lodged with a court or magistrate’. Knowledge I ain’t seen much of on this here board, although I will grant young Donnie that he does bring up good stuff about pensions, and there is a couple of guys what wrote about the old days in Georgetown. There IS news on this here board, but we covered that before, when we was discussin’ interestin’. Of course, there HAS been a lot of complainin’, especially lately. But all in all, when it comes to informative I’d say it’s pretty thin, boys.<br><br>So I guess I’ll have to do my dam’ best as an old geezer, and hope that it passes muster and I’m allowed to stay.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Hiram

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:39 pm

Well glad to see you chose to stay and being informative to us would be telling about things like, what life was in your day, tell us about schooling, what landmarks are still around, your siblings etc. The reason anything was said is because it looked like Old Bill, George and yourself were only looking to stir the pot, as they saying goes and degrade regulars here that have made this forum a respectable place to come to, evident by the over 2,000 viewers per day, over 600,000 since January 31, 2001.<br>As for me running a loose ship, perhaps, once reminded most folks follow the rules, but we hope that posters here are mature enough not to have to be brought into line. Our aim is to allow folks as much freedom as they can handle and stay with in the boundries of acceptability, this is a family oriented site. Before a person posts anything, they should consider what they would want their spouse, their children, grand children, great-grand children and their parents to be part off and the over 2000 viewers and their families.<br>I hope to read some great posts by you.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Don <p></p><i></i>

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:36 pm

There was definite reason to be skeptical, and I hope I'm wrong, but I still feel like someone's jes' yankin' my chain. Maybe it's just (skeptical) me. For now I'ill wait to see how things unfold. But a word to the wise, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.<br><br>Al <p></p><i></i>

Return to Archives - Old Forums & Shades of the Past