New for October

Read Only

New for October

Postby BonnieC » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:32 pm

I've posted new Homecoming pictures thanks to
Keith and Gail Bennett
Alice - Drenters - Fate and
Brad Bennett (for mailing them into me too)

Donny do you think you could get a hold of the committee members and get them to send some more to me..I know lois had a camera there and Dave's Brother...I'm sure more did too and also if there were any from the BBQ you guys had.

Cheers
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:10 pm

:)
Hi Bonnie,
Will get at them ASAP, I have some from the BBQ and there are others.
Don

Postby u-pickedcotton » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:04 pm

It was after the whole Homecoming thing was over that I realized working at the arena meant I missed a lot of things going on around town. I'd like to thank all who post photos for sharing their Homecoming experiences. They fill in a lot of blanks.

Neil
u-pickedcotton

New Stuff

Postby BonnieC » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:04 pm

With a VERY big special thanks to Gail Bennett we now have a new album in the Recreation Thread...Georgetown Pipe Band with 248 new files

Also a big thank you to Gord Smallwood new pics in the Homecoming Thread - Sunday and the closing - new pics from up on top of the Fire Truck

Enjoy

PS,,Still waiting on those BBQ pics Don
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:45 am

There is a meeting on Monday for the whole committee, perhaps you could put together letter with your requests and I can copy it and hand it out. Does not seem like enough committee members are reading here.
Regards,
Don
PS I will post a few later today that I have.

Re: New Stuff

Postby Al Darby » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

BonnieC wrote:With a VERY big special thanks to Gail Bennett we now have a new album in the Recreation Thread...Georgetown Pipe Band with 248 new files
[...]

While most of the 248 meant very little to me, I was interested to see the ones with Lola Costigan.

Jim Costigan, as young boy, had Polio and while he recuperated, lived with his Grandparents on the Cut Hill (John St.). I used to go there, every day, after school to play with Jim and occasionally when I arrived, Lola would be practicing her Highland Dancing, with the swords crossed on the floor.

You cannot begin to imagine what fascination that held, for an 8-10 year old kid, who at that time, didn't even know what a kilt / sporran was.

I also recognised a few of the girls I went to school with and I never knew were involved.

Was Ginny Hulme any relation to the Hulme (Hume?) family that lived in College View? If so, I can't place her.

Thanks for the memories.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby mjmward » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:55 am

Ginny was married to one of the boys, I can,t remember which one sorry.
mjmward

Postby Al Darby » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:50 pm

mjmward wrote:Ginny was married to one of the boys, I can,t remember which one sorry.

Just read her obituary, also published and it was Francis Hulme, he was younger than me, by a year, or so.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby JudyBudHayes » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi Al--Judy here--I was just going thru my Mom and Dads pics [Grandma Spence lived on the Cut-hill beside Costigans] and i found an old picture of Jim and one of the Costigan girls.They are very small but I will take them and see if I can blow them up a bit---maybe Bonnie can scan them on for you to see [I do not do it well myself]----Judy
JudyBudHayes

Postby Al Darby » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:45 pm

JudyBudHayes wrote:Hi Al--Judy here--I was just going thru my Mom and Dads pics [Grandma Spence lived on the Cut-hill beside Costigans] and i found an old picture of Jim and one of the Costigan girls.They are very small but I will take them and see if I can blow them up a bit---maybe Bonnie can scan them on for you to see [I do not do it well myself]----Judy

Judy,

That'd be great, thanks. I got all excited when I saw that "Jim Costigan" was attending HC'07, seems there are two "Jim Costigans" and it wasn't the right one.

Did I ever tell you about the day my cousin Katie "Juggy" Williams and I rode down the Cut Hill, in my brand new CCM Wagon, only to "crash and burn" right outside of your Grandma's place. She saw the "twisted bodies" ;), came out and gave us each a stick of Wrigleys Spearmint gum. It had magical curative powers and in spite of being somewhat stale and crumbly, saved our lives, on the day. On reflection, I don't think your Gran was an ardent gum chewer :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby BonnieC » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Hey Al. My mom dropped off a few pics for me to scan tonite. I'll try my darnest to get them on tomorrow...today was crazy and I'm beat...anyway there are alot from John st. I'm sure you'll enjoy and a few of Bud and Bill

BTW where are your holiday pics????
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:17 am

BonnieC wrote:Hey Al. My mom dropped off a few pics for me to scan tonite. I'll try my darnest to get them on tomorrow...today was crazy and I'm beat...anyway there are alot from John st. I'm sure you'll enjoy and a few of Bud and Bill

BTW where are your holiday pics????

Thanks BC, you're a "sweetie" :wink:

My "holiday" pics are on my wife's PC. There's about 500 of them, so they need culling to get the relevant ones. Plus, on my leg, I was without camera, so my Mate in the UK, who used his camera, is still in the process of sending the ones he took to me.

"Patience is a virtue, / Possess it if you can. / It is seldom found in women, / And never in a man." Richard Posin :twisted: :roll: :twisted:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby BonnieC » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:14 am

Ok Al the pics or on there...just go to last uploads or around town under people...there are also a few pictures from yesterday's trick or treating downtown...last year there were about 700 kids this year it pretty much doubled...btw..I'm back working at the store again...I left when Irma retired in june and the new owner called me back 2 weeks ago to help her... :)
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:30 pm

BonnieC wrote:Ok Al the pics or on there...just go to last uploads or around town under people...there are also a few pictures from yesterday's trick or treating downtown...last year there were about 700 kids this year it pretty much doubled...btw..I'm back working at the store again...I left when Irma retired in june and the new owner called me back 2 weeks ago to help her... :)

Thanks BC and Judy, the pics are great.

The picture of the two houses surrounded by snow is exactly how I remember it to be. Great Memories.

Seeing Bill (and Bud) Hardman all dressed up in a blazer (double-breasted, no less) and short pants, looking very much the proper young gentlemen, gave me a real chuckle. It's not a memory I have of either of them, but have no doubt their Mom (Ethel?) went to great lengths to make certain they were immaculate.

To my mind, it's this kind of sharing of memories that makes this forum a "special place".

Glad to hear you're back working, but never knew you left. Hope you don't miss your "Lady of Leisure" days too much.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Gloria Jones » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:51 pm

Glad to hear you're back working, but never knew you left.

I can vouch for Bonnie working, saw her on the job Friday. Went downtown myself on Saturday as my Grandson was making his first trip for the Halloween parade. I was glad to see so many enjoying the day and there were a lot of great costumes.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:04 pm

Gloria Jones wrote:
Glad to hear you're back working, but never knew you left.

I can vouch for Bonnie working, saw her on the job Friday. Went downtown myself on Saturday as my Grandson was making his first trip for the Halloween parade. I was glad to see so many enjoying the day and there were a lot of great costumes.

Thanks GJ,

Can't have her slacking off now that HC'07 is over and the year books are (pretty much) complete. :twisted: :roll: :twisted:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby BonnieC » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Al Darby wrote:
Can't have her slacking off now that HC'07 is over and the year books are (pretty much) complete. :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

Yeah well some of have to work!!! AD, not all of us have the luxury of prancing around France

Actually I'm kinda glad to be back there, Saturday was fun and a nightmare all rolled into one. It was also our re-grand opening...it was just a wee bit crazy

The yearbooks are all done...except for this years and I'm just waiting for that one to come in...

I'm also on the verge of another big project for the vault with Donny's help There should be a couple of Thousand pics going on there in the next few months...I hope. I'm really excited about the next one and can't wait to get started.....

But you guys keep digging for more of those pics that I know you have
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:51 pm

BonnieC wrote:
Al Darby wrote:

Yeah well some of have to work!!! AD, not all of us have the luxury of prancing around France
[...]

BC, given that I'm currently facing knee surgery for a "lateral meniscus tear" that occurred before I took the trip, "prancing around France", is not a phrase I'd use to describe how I got around. :( :? :(

Leave it to Don to think of a "BIG" project to keep you busy. :twisted: :roll: :twisted:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby BonnieC » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:56 am

Awww AD I'm sorry... :( When is the surgery????
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:06 am

BonnieC wrote:Awww AD I'm sorry... :( When is the surgery????

Thanks BC. Haven't got a date yet, but they tell me it's "Day Surgery", followed by a heap of physio.

A bit of cartilage has come loose and keeps "drifting" into the knee joint, causing it to lock up, along with some four letter discomfort.

They'll snip off the offending bit arthroscopically and hopefully all will be well. At least that's the plan. :?
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:20 pm

Hi Al, are they Scoping it? I had something similar, it was done via day surgery and physio for about 6 weeks, then it was better then new. So good luck my friend, then Prancing can be a word of choice. Al with the bionic knee, we will be looking forward to seeing you at the HOMECOMING encore in 2012.
Regards,
Don

Postby Al Darby » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:20 pm

Don Fendley wrote:Hi Al, are they Scoping it? I had something similar, it was done via day surgery and physio for about 6 weeks, then it was better then new. So good luck my friend, then Prancing can be a word of choice. Al with the bionic knee, we will be looking forward to seeing you at the HOMECOMING encore in 2012.
Regards,
Don

"They'll snip off the offending bit arthroscopically and hopefully all will be well. At least that's the plan. "

Thanks Don, I'm hoping for the same outcome.

At 72, 2012 is a long way from now, so I'm not making plans! :shock:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Gloria Jones » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:47 am

At 72, 2012 is a long way from now, so I'm not making plans!

Oh come on Al, you'll only be 77 and maybe you'll get the prize for coming the farthest AND THE OLDEST!!! :D :wink:
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby BonnieC » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:29 am

Gloria Jones wrote:
At 72, 2012 is a long way from now, so I'm not making plans!

Oh come on Al, you'll only be 77 and maybe you'll get the prize for coming the farthest AND THE OLDEST!!! :D :wink:

Oh now you're in trouble!!! :lol:
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Jacki » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:23 am

I AIN"T touching this one with a ten foot pole LOL G/L Al on the surgery !!!
Jacki

Next

Return to Archives - The Vault Discussions