Memory Lane (spin off [S/O] from A picture for the vault.

Read Only

Postby Al Darby » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:55 pm

jeff3mcmullen wrote:I down loaded that Google Earth and boy was that amazing. I could zoom in on the house I lived in when in G-town and on all the new houses on the other side of Hungry Hollow.

3 fun things to do with Google Earth:
1. Goto ground level in Grand Canyon and "fly" through it like Luke Skywalker.
2. Goto Mt. St. Helens and check out the crater.
3. Goto Chicago, turn on the 3D buildings, goto water level and cruise the river.

I was told that the river in Chicago used to flow into the lake, but because it was discharging so much effluent into the lake, they built the locks at the mouth to reverse the flow back inland. i.e. you flushed it, you keep it.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Lisa Copland » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Hey, thanks for the tip Al. My eldest will be in Chicago this week on a school trip. Perhaps now I can spy on her!
Lisa Copland

Postby Al Darby » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:02 pm

Lisa Copland wrote:Okay Upside Down Al, I'm looking at your pool, now quick, run outside and wave to me!

I'll see if I can find my pool but it won't be much to look at given it still has the WINTER cover on.

That picture is nearly two years old. Be careful what you wish for, I've lost my GHS Rebel lean, mean physique. More like Moby Dick "a great white whale". Besides, with our cancer causing sun, I avoid being out at midday. I only ever swim real early in the morning or late afternoon.

Some time back, I got in touch with a school mate of mine from G'town, Ernie Kornetz. Ernie was going to Fla. for holidays and on the beach where he was staying was a live web cam, so he organised to be on the beach where I could see him.

Granted, it could've been anyone on the towel, but still pretty neat.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Al Darby » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Lisa Copland wrote:Hey, thanks for the tip Al. My eldest will be in Chicago this week on a school trip. Perhaps now I can spy on her!

Don't want to spoil your "buzz" Elsie, but it's not a live web cam from outer space. ;)
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby jeff3mcmullen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:33 am

Al, I looked up your house coordinates. Love where you live. Here's mine. I live in a modest home but it's near a golf course. I love it here.

28°03'01.25" N, 82°28'32.1" W

Should put you on my roof. Check out our golf course. I'm on the 9th. Good spot to refill eh?
J-Mac
jeff3mcmullen

Postby Al Darby » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:46 am

jeff3mcmullen wrote:Al, I looked up your house coordinates. Love where you live. Here's mine. I live in a modest home but it's near a golf course. I love it here.

28°03'01.25" N, 82°28'32.1" W

Should put you on my roof. Check out our golf course. I'm on the 9th. Good spot to refill eh?

That's a really great satellite photo and location. Now if I could only get interested in Golf. I've saved your co-ordinates in my GE Favorites.

Looks like a very popular and "green" neighbourhood. Unlike mine, we're so close in, there's a lot of "Light Industry" (Office Blocks) and High Rises (Vertical Villages) all around us. We're in a "Special Precinct" that's restricted to free standing, single story residences (California Bungalow)

I have some great tales to tell about "after" the few Golf matches I did play, like the time I got "kidnapped", but they're not suitable for here.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby jeff3mcmullen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:57 am

Who said I didn't like Golf. The course I live on is one of the original courses that started the LPGA. It was owned by Babe Zaharias. She lived in a house one block from where I live. She started pro tourney's here and people lined the streets to watch. Pretty interesting really. Now it's owned by the city and they want to turn it into a historical site. I go golfing with my mates and because I live on the 9th hole we stop in at my house to refill our bags with refreshments. :roll: I would golf everyday if I could. Do you have a nice course near you? Do YOU golf?
J-Mac
jeff3mcmullen

Postby Lisa Copland » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:09 am

Al Darby wrote:
Lisa Copland wrote:Hey, thanks for the tip Al. My eldest will be in Chicago this week on a school trip. Perhaps now I can spy on her!

Don't want to spoil your "buzz" Elsie, but it's not a live web cam from outer space. ;)

Yeah, Al, I know. But once again, you could have let me dream that I have "eyes in the back of my head" and actually "know" what she's up to! :wink:

I actually did look at some of the Chicago stuff on Google Earth the other night because I have only ever been at the airport in Chicago. I wanted to get an idea of what she will be seeing while she's there. Just another way to be an armchair traveller!
Lisa Copland

Postby jeff3mcmullen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:24 am

What is happening to my Shades of The Past? I leave for a few days and my whole world is upside down. Anyway I figured it out so no worries Mate.
J-Mac
jeff3mcmullen

Postby Al Darby » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:35 am

jeff3mcmullen wrote:What is happening to my Shades of The Past? I leave for a few days and my whole world is upside down. Anyway I figured it out so no worries Mate.

JenG had a "cleanup" and I keep bumping my shins and tripping over stuff trying to find where things are. :shock: :lol: :roll: :twisted:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby jeff3mcmullen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:37 am

I guess this will be the topic of conversation for a while now.
J-Mac
jeff3mcmullen

Postby JenG » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:42 am

Al Darby wrote:
jeff3mcmullen wrote:What is happening to my Shades of The Past? I leave for a few days and my whole world is upside down. Anyway I figured it out so no worries Mate.

JenG had a "cleanup" and I keep bumping my shins and tripping over stuff trying to find where things are. :shock: :lol: :roll: :twisted:

Don't blame me for you not watching the furniture!!! Actually it was my suggestion but Don did the work. I don't even dust in my own home! :lol:
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Previous

Return to Archives - The Vault Discussions