John Doherty

Read Only

John Doherty

Postby Al Darby » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:15 am

Just noticed a hockey photo in the Vault, submitted by John Doherty and I'm pretty sure it's the same John D., that I went to school with at Chapel Street and GHS, the same guy that used to sit on my heels in the 440 (and 880), right up to the last few yards, then invariably leave me in the dust.

John, if it is you, would love to touch base:
ardarby at optusnet dot com dot au
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby BonnieC » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:33 am

Uncle John doesn't have a computer...but I'll pass the message on to him... :)
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Michael Xanthios » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:47 pm

Hey Al that's a cool story. I hope you find your friend.

Technical question: Why did you show your email that way? Does it avoid sweeps or something?

Mike
Michael Xanthios

Postby Al Darby » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:09 pm

Michael Xanthios wrote:Hey Al that's a cool story. I hope you find your friend.

Technical question: Why did you show your email that way? Does it avoid sweeps or something?

Mike

Mike,

There are things out there that are collectively referred to as "spiders" (they crawl through the web), that look for all sorts of information. That's how web sites get "found" by Google, Yahoo, Copernic, etc.

One of the bits that some of them look for is email addresses, which is why it's a good thing to obfuscate your email if you put it in a post.

On reflection, it wouldn't take a great leap of programming to look for the words "at" and "dot", i.e. look for a pattern.

Another method is to put in an obvious (to the eye) error/filler, e.g. ardarby@remove.this.optusnet.com.au

I might add, I get so much spam, I usually don't bother. Instead I let MailWasher Pro, sort it all out for me.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Al Darby » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:12 pm

BonnieC wrote:Uncle John doesn't have a computer...but I'll pass the message on to him... :)

Thanks Bonnie, between you and Don, you seem to be related to everyone. :)
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby BonnieC » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:21 pm

Not related at all actually....My mom and John's wife Lorraine have been best friends for forever...we grew up calling them aunt and uncle..and vice versa with their kids..
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:05 pm

BonnieC wrote:Not related at all actually....My mom and John's wife Lorraine have been best friends for forever...we grew up calling them aunt and uncle..and vice versa with their kids..

Ah yes ... know it well. Same convention applies here in OZ. I remember when I grew up, we always referred to "Buck" Foster, as "Uncle Buck".

Uncle Buck was an "interesting" man. My persistent memory is of him watering his veggie patch, wearing a singlet and an old style peaked cap, all the while chewing on a wad of Snuff. He also played the banjo (loudly, if not well) and his favourite (only?) song was "Big Rock Candy Mountain". He worked at the Pulp Mill with my grandfather, George "Hod" Barnes.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Return to Archives - The Vault Discussions