New Stuff

Read Only

New Stuff

Postby BonnieC » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:42 pm

The vault has now been changed for various reasons to the Photo Gallery and Now you can enter into the main gallery by clicking on Photo Gallery on the front page instead of the old way of entering into a specific album..I know my mom and dad will find this easier. I hope it will be the same for many more..
Cheers
Last edited by BonnieC on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby BonnieC » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:35 pm

In the pass couple of days, I have posted a lot of new stuff in the Vault AKA photo gallery. Pictures submitted by Kim, Bud Hardman and Gloria. Newsletters from Smith and Stone's from Hazel Arnold. Thank you all so much for the contributions, I hope there are alot more to come.
Bonnie
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby BonnieC » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:35 pm

More new stuff this week...Lots in around town - places...when I get a nice sunny day and a day off I'm going to spend a day out and about taking some pics of the town now. This weeks newspapers, and class photos from deedee ( DeeDee your pictures are at the store you can pick them up anytime.) I also have some stuff from my dad and from Hazel Arnold that I'll be uploading early this week.

Bonnie
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby George » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:47 pm

Hi Bonnie,
The pictures around town would be great! I'm starting to get into amateur photography and recently bought myself a digital SLR camera. And it looks like my family and I will be driving down to Georgetown this coming Friday to visit my parents for a couple of days. I'll bring the camera along and if I get a chance I'll take an hour or so driving around town taking some photos and then I'll upload them to the vault.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any WiFi hotspots in Georgetown? My parents don't have high speed and there's no way I'm going to upload stuff using dialup! It would be a lot easier if I could just take my laptop to a cafe or something and upload from there. Otherwise it will have to wait until we're back in Ottawa so I can use our own ISP.

Cheers,
Dave Rumsey
Last edited by George on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George

Postby Gloria Jones » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:03 pm

Hey Bonnie: Isn't Hazel Arnold a neat lady. Really enjoyed those latest uploads from her.

Thanks.
Gloria
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:50 pm

:)
Gloria or Bonnie,
Do either of you know Mrs. Stamp, from an article awhile back, she has a very extensive collection of hockey pictures and articles, back some time, might be great to contact her? I think Susan Poulson is her daughter, George works for the town I believe!
Don

Postby BonnieC » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:00 pm

New stuff just for Jeff and others who have been here in a long time. Go to "Around Town" " Georgetown 2007" there's more to come in that album...And theres some hockey programmes from my dad and some pics in "Smith and Stone" from my mom...Enjoy
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby jeff3mcmullen » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:38 pm

BonnieC wrote:New stuff just for Jeff and others who have been here in a long time. Go to "Around Town" " Georgetown 2007" there's more to come in that album...And theres some hockey programmes from my dad and some pics in "Smith and Stone" from my mom...Enjoy

Wow! Thanks Bonnie. That was very thoughtful of you. Thanks very much!!!!!! :D :D :D
J-Mac
jeff3mcmullen

Postby jeff3mcmullen » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:33 am

Bonnie, I just went through some of your pics. Again I want to say thanks. Some info for ya, I lived at 175 Mountainview N. Just past Varian ( is Varian Closed?) Your pics seemed to follow my stompin' grounds. Mushroom plant / Johns street./ Mountainview / Etc... Thanks so much. You don't know how much I enjoyed that.

I don't want to put you out of your way but, can I get some pics of the Dam and Cedarvalle park. The Fairgrounds and Hungry Hollow. Again, thank you so much for your time and your contributions to the GTOL. Your an amazing person.... :shock: :shock:
J-Mac
jeff3mcmullen

Postby Lisa Copland » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:20 am

You won't like it when you see the photos of Hungry Hollow - it's way different now.

I haven't been to the fairgrounds or Cedarvale Park in a long time but as far as I know they are still much the same as they always were.
Lisa Copland

Postby BonnieC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:07 am

Varian just changed it's name to CPI, there are a couple of pics of the paper mill in the vault, I'll see if I can get back out again tonite and get some pics of mountainview and g-town south.. nothing has really change with cedervale or the ball park/fairgrounds. Except they moved the driveway for cedarvale and they changed the playground at the park. Glad you liked them

Bonnie
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby BonnieC » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Few more pics for Jeff and the outoftowners Around town/Georgetown 2007
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby George » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:31 pm

Hey, I'm back in Georgetown for the weekend!

The new mall in Georgetown South popped up overnight! It's even got an A&P and a Timmy's! Wow!

I'll try to take some time to go around town tomorrow and take some pictures. If anyone has any specific requests, please list them and I'll see how much I can capture.

Cheers,
Dave
George

Postby Gem » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:52 am

I remember when McDonalds first opened in Georgetown. We mover not long after that. It was great when we wanted to goto the Dairy Queen and A and W the old drive in style. They were both just up the street from our house. Last time I drove through Georgetown was in 2000 and didn't recognize tooo much.
Gem

Postby Lisa Copland » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:00 pm

McDonalds and Dairy Queen are still where they always were but the A & W is a Color Your World now I think.
Lisa Copland

Postby JenG » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:37 pm

I thought the A&W was where the McD's is now? I'll have to ask my dad. He used to be a manager there once upon a time ago! :lol:
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:06 pm

A & W is were Wendy's used to be which is now Pizza Pizza..whew, that was confusing :lol:

I used to Love going to the old school A & W, the new one just isn't the same. The parking lot is big enough, so I think they should turn it into the the drive-in style again. Would look great with all the old cars that met there.

Postby Gem » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:37 pm

The A and W was on the other side of the street and just around the corner from Beckers that was on the opposite corner of Dairy Queen. When I say around the corner I'm not 100% because as a kid things never seemed far away back then. I miss the good old times :(
Gem

Postby BonnieC » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:48 pm

West corner of Rexway and Guelph was DQ, across the road on the east side was the BP gas station, A & W was ( I think the exact location is were color your world/pizza pizza is now and where McDonald's is was Dogs and Suds.
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

My recollection.

Postby John Ackroyd » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:27 pm

My recollection of the Rexway Guelph St corner is the SW corner the DQ, smaller then no burgers, SE corner the BP service station formerly a White Rose gas station, saw the sign when they tore it down.
East of that was the Beckers store. Cheapest pop in town.Next to it was the A & W that became Wendy's then Pizza Pizza. Next to it was Kinneys shoes.It later was divided in two and became a variety store an coffee shop. Now is an empty Pro Shooters.
Across the road,was McCalums Fina, now Petrocan. Next to it was the Arf And Barf, I mean Dog and Suds. I still remember their changeable sign. One weekend it read "EAT OUT THE WIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN" Next to it was the Dominion Seed House Fields.
That is how I remember things on that corner.
Any one remember the Gas Station that burned down on the NE corner of Guelph and Mountanview?
John Ackroyd

Re: My recollection.

Postby Lisa Copland » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:28 pm

John Ackroyd wrote:Across the road,was McCalums Fina, now Petrocan. Next to it was the Arf And Barf, I mean Dog and Suds. I still remember their changeable sign. One weekend it read "EAT OUT THE WIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN" Next to it was the Dominion Seed House Fields.
That is how I remember things on that corner.

My Mom was a car hop at the Dog and Suds. We were talking about that area tonight and she said that the Dog and Suds would have been where the Credit Union is now and that where McDonalds is was an insurance office and then the Dominion Seed House.
Lisa Copland

Postby John Ackroyd » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:50 pm

And don't forget the coin operated car wash.
John Ackroyd

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:23 pm

Lisa, I think the building where the insurance company was, if memory serves me well, WF HUNTER was there for awhile in the front office. Your mom would know for sure! Some great times back then! I am glad to have lived through that era, I love Georgetown and that is likely why, some of us become upset when some one makes comment about it. It is like, I can say stuff about my brothers, but don't you!

Postby Gem » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:36 pm

Did anybody live in the area of Rexway back in 1970-76? There was a dog I believe to be a golden retriever that the owner would put the money and the old plastic milk jug in its mouth and it would walk up to Beckers and stand at the door and the clerk would get the milk and take the money and the dog would go back down rexway to its home. I was always amazed with this dog named Ellsa (not sure of spellling)
Gem

Postby tessa » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:44 pm

oh gem...you're twigging something in my memory banks with that dog. it'll take me a minute to tease it out.
did it live somewhere near the corner of charles? maybe even on charles?
kathy calder might remember better.

hey...wasn't there a mr. submarine between the BP and becker's?

i loved the dog n suds. hated the A + W.
preferred brazier foods to mcdonalds...but before the DQ had brazier foods...wasn't there a hamburger joint right next to it?
tessa

Next

Return to Archives - The Vault Discussions