Al Darby

Have fun and enjoy. stories, humour, comments or whatever, but keep it in good taste, this site is viewed by all ages and religions.

Moderator: Mark Llew

Al Darby

Postby linda paul » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:13 am

I don't know if everyone has heard but Al had quite a bad stroke.
He is okay but is getting rehabilitation at the moment.
Last I heard he wasn't home yet. I think this happenned about 6 wks. or longer ago.
linda paul

Re: Al Darby

Postby John_Bailey » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:31 am

That's a shame. Hoping for your full recovery AD.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby JulieJane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:08 am

I'm very sorry to hear that news. I hope all goes well for him in his recovery, and that he is able to be at home while receiving any treatment he may need.
JulieJane

Postby John Ackroyd » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Bill Darby posted this on Facebook. Good news.
Bill Darby
April 13 at 10:28am

Hi All
Had the most wonderful surprise last night. Al called from his hospital in Sydney, Australia ( I missed the entire second period of the Senators first playoff game! LOST ). He is fine and doing well, a bit miffed because on top of everything else he's been diagnosed as having pseudo-gout, ( joint inflammation ) . He really sounds good and Bernice is riding a tight heard on him, making him do all the things he's told. [That must be really hard for him to do!]

His computer has died and he's trying to decide what sort of machine he wants to buy as a replacement.

That's about it for now, I can not emphasize enough, just how well he sounds.

Thanks all Bill
John Ackroyd

Postby John_Bailey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 am

Old as dirt and tough as nails. Way to be AD.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby John Ackroyd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Bill Darby posted an update on Face book. Here it is.

Update on Al Darby

OK .... This lovely letter / report was received last night from Bernice, Al's better half.
Here goes: (Quick summary: Al , is OK!)

Dear Family

Unfortunately, we don’t have a lovely graphic for these Christmas wishes.

This was Allen’s forte, not mine - I did the ‘hack’ work!

I have included our newsletter, which is not a happy one this year. The details are an abridged version of the whole year, which I've sent you at various times.
Thank you all for your good wishes, support and big hugs and kisses. I have past these all on to Allen.
I am just back from visiting Allen and the Centre had a Christmas lunch for the residents with a little 'Kris Kringle' for everyone.
No snow - it 35 degrees today. I'm about to have a dip in the pool.

Allen and I wish you a very happy Christmas and New Year. Hopefully, 2018 will be more enjoyable.

Bernice & Allen

To quote HM Queen Elizabeth II, 2017 for Allen and I, has been our ‘annus horribilus’.
I decided in early January that I would take my long service leave and organised the start date for 13 January. Someone covered my team for me and I looked forward to a lovely break. On 20 January Allen suffered a stroke and was admitted to hospital. Operated on that night and moved into the acute stroke ward. After a couple of weeks, he was moved into neo (something) ward and we had very slow progress. Physios were there to assist with mobility, but not much was happening and the talk was to move him into ‘care’. Then a little win, he was sitting up unaided and that ment he could be moved into the rehab ward at the hospital. The other option was to an outside facility, but I wasn’t in favour of that. So, by the middle of February, physio started – everything at glacial pace – I was there every day to ensure that he did the work. By the middle of March, the medical team were pushing for him to be moved to care again. Allen and I had a talk and I impressed upon him the need to start doing the work and the word ‘No’ was no longer in his vocabulary. Improvement commenced and the team agreed that he was able to stay. 31 March I resigned & retired.
Working on the outcome of Allen coming home, I needed to do house modified ie ramps at the from and back doors with pool fences changed, rails inside the house and the bathroom remodled as disabled. Work started in the middle of May and was just about finished for Allen to arrive home on the 1 June, when the plumber found a gas leak under the floor. With everything else going on, that just about did me in. I had to shut off the gas (my hot water and house heating), organise an electric water heater and have this installed. Allen arrived home in the middle of all this activity with electricians / builders everywhere. I didn’t have any inside heating for a couple of weeks and as it was soo cold, I just kept him in bed for warmth. It was freezing. Things improved slowly and we organised a routine, physios came to the house twice a week, which was OK but not really that great. He wasn’t eating much, losing weight, his GP visited at home every week, but by mid September things were not going well. The doctor decided he needed to be admitted to hospital and after tests it was confirmed he had a lung infection. After that was sorted, I convinced the rehab team to readmit him to build up his strength and after much discussion they agreed. Nursing staff welcomed him with open arms, which was lovely as he was one of their favourite patients. After a couple of weeks, he caught the flu and was moved to a single room, to avoid infecting anyone else! He was unable to get out of bed or move with a lot of pain, still losing weight, now at 78kgs. On 14 November he was moved into respite care. We have until 15 January to see if there is enough improvement to come home. If not, then we have to look at converting to a permanent placement. All very distressing and unfortunately not a very happy newsletter this year. I’m now trying to work out the complexities of our mobile phone / internet & TV plans – and don’t get me started on the NBN connection mess!!!! At least I now have someone to come in bi-monthly to clean the pool. Have actually had a swim this last week with the weather heating up to 30 degrees. Just my temp.
My family research has been on the back burner, but there is always 2018.
Wishing you a very happy Christmas and best wish to all – Bernice
John Ackroyd

Postby JulieJane » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:10 am

All Best Wishes to Al and Bernice that 2018 will indeed be a huge turning point towards Al's improved recovery. Positive vibes are zinging along the airwaves to Down Under !
Cheers !
JulieJane

Postby John_Bailey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 am

I'll second that JJ.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby linda paul » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:43 pm

So sorry to hear Al is still not well. I had lots of fun and debates with him on this site. Give him my best.
linda paul

Return to Oddz-n-Sodz