Quotes

Have fun and enjoy. stories, humour, comments or whatever, but keep it in good taste, this site is viewed by all ages and religions.

Moderator: Mark Llew

Re: Wisdom for PernBach

Postby Petitbois » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:36 pm

Mark Llew wrote:"Nothing is so clean as a fish." – Welsh proverb

"There is no such thing as a clean cat- only a feline covered in cat spit." Glen Williams proverb, watching my daughter's cat groom.
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Beauty

Postby Mark Llew » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:29 pm

"After secretly observing the unstudied grace of her movements, the most celebrated picture-maker of the province burned the implements of his craft, and began life anew as a trainer of performing elephants." – Ernest Bramah in Kai Lung's Golden Hours, possibly referring to Swahili :P
Mark Llew

Lesser beauty

Postby Mark Llew » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:31 pm

"At this display the elder and less attractive of the maidens fled, uttering loud and continuous cries of apprehension in order to conceal the direction of her flight." – Ernest Bramah in Kai Lung's Golden Hours, possibly referring to FFitR :roll:
Mark Llew

You're not too big to put over my knee, young man ! ! ! !

Postby FairyFootsteps » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:52 pm

"The heart of a fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of a wise man is in his heart." – Benjamin Franklin

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." – Abraham Lincoln

Vestigia terrent Omnia te adversum spectantia, nulla retrorsum. [The footsteps are terrifying, all coming towards you and none going back again.] – Horace

:x
FairyFootsteps

Postby George » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:34 pm

"Are you kidding?!? You have 2000 options that will vest in 4 years! You're throwing away your future!! These things will be worth millions by then!!"

A quote from my manager when I handed in my resignation letter in June of 2000. At the time, Nortel stock was trading in the $110-$120 range, a few years later they were in the $2 range. Ya, some future eh? :D

"Pay yourself first." A direct quote from "The Wealthy Barber". Don't depend on others to take care of you, ensure you have the tools and the plans in place early on.

Thoughts from a tired (but upbeat) software engineer.

Cheers all,
Dave

P.S. The Georgetown visit was nice, but I didn't have time to take pictures. But MAN, I can't believe the explosion in G'town South!! Holy cow!
George

About tact!

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:43 pm

The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
T. H. White
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lest we forget

Postby Mark Llew » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:32 pm

Today is the 62nd anniversary of the day American troops liberated Buchenwald.

"I will never forget the American soldiers and the horror that could be read in their faces. I will especially remember one black sergeant, a muscled giant, who wept tears of impotent rage and shame... . We tried to lift him onto our shoulders to show our gratitude, but we didn't have the strength. We were too weak to even applaud him." – Elie Wiesel, in his memoir All the Rivers Run to the Sea.
Mark Llew

Postby JosephGibbons » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:36 pm

Wow. That's quite a quote.

Joe
JosephGibbons

A great woman

Postby Mark Llew » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:04 pm

"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer – you are a participant." – June Callwood (June 2, 1924–April 14, 2007)
Mark Llew

Postby tessa » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:35 pm

i gasped! june callwood has died?
ouch.
great quote.
tessa

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:41 am

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows fall behind you." – Maori proverb
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:02 am

"There are many people who are always anticipating trouble, and in this way they manage to enjoy many sorrows that never really happen to them." – Josh Billings
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:15 am

"I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it." – Dwight D. Eisenhower
Mark Llew

This one's for tmitm ! ! ! !

Postby Mark Llew » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:04 pm

“Little boys may be an intolerable nuisance; but when they are not there we regret them, we find ourselves homesick for their very intolerableness.” – Aldous Huxley, quoting Dr Aykay F Sebben
Mark Llew

John, remember what I said about quotes ? ! ?

Postby Mark Llew » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:05 pm

“When I transfer my knowledge, I teach. When I transfer my beliefs, I indoctrinate.” – Arthur Danto
Mark Llew

Re: This one's for tmitm ! ! ! !

Postby colbuki » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:08 pm

Mark Llew wrote:“Little boys may be an intolerable nuisance; but when they are not there we regret them, we find ourselves homesick for their very intolerableness.” – Aldous Huxley, quoting Dr Aykay F Sebben

I like this one!
colbuki

A thought from circa 100 AD

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:28 pm

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius
Mark Llew

More sense from Marcus Aurelius

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:06 pm

"Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than has education without natural ability."

"We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that."

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."
Mark Llew

Postby Jamie Harrison » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:21 pm

A few from Oscar Wilde:

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong."

"Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality."

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

And finally, reportedly on his deathbed:

"This wallpaper is dreadful. One of us simply has to go."
Jamie Harrison

Re: A thought from circa 100 AD

Postby Lisa Copland » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Mark Llew wrote:"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius

I think I spent today amongst the ranks of the insane! :?
Lisa Copland

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:08 pm

:)
QUOTES: From a wise old farmer!

* Forgive your enemies. It messes up their heads.

* Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.

* It don't take a very big person to carry a grudge.

* You cannot unsay a cruel word.

* Every path has a few puddles.

Postby Al Darby » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:24 am

Don Fendley wrote:[...]
* Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.
[...]

Reminds me of the time I spied a Muskrat on the ice, at the Mill Pond. As I approached it, it ducked down a hole in the ice, with only it's tail sticking out.

I decided it would be "neat" to pull it back up and so began a tug-of-war with the Muskrat.

I was winning and had it about ½ way back up on the ice when the thought occurred to me: "What am I going to do with 20lbs of angry Muskrat, when I do get it free and clear?"

Discretion being the better part of valour, I let go and I reckon that had to be close to smartest thing I'd ever done in my life (I was ~14 at the time). :)

Nice set of "rules to live by".
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Catch 22

Postby Mark Llew » Tue May 01, 2007 2:05 pm

"[A pilot] would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to." – Joseph Heller

Today would have been Joseph Heller’s 84th birthday. He served in a bomber crew in World War II, and his experience inspired his novel Catch 22. For those who haven’t read it, it is a brilliant and hilarious satire. The hero is an American bomber pilot who believes that the whole world is trying to get him killed. He spends the entire novel trying to be ruled unfit for duty because of insanity, but runs afoul of Catch 22: by definition, wanting to quit is evidence of sanity.

Read it !
Mark Llew

Hey hey hey, that's what I say

Postby Mark Llew » Sun May 06, 2007 1:42 am

"Nullae satisfactionis potiri non possum" – Jagger-Richards 1965
Mark Llew

Homeless Man Speaks

Postby Mark Llew » Sun May 06, 2007 1:54 am

TONY
“You should have seen this. Back on Thursday, these two ladies were shopping at the Korean fruit and vegetable store down on the corner. And they left the there baby carriage just near the door, and it starts rolling down the sidewalk going towards the street. So I’m shouting about it and this guy — I’ve never seen him before — he goes and rescues the carriage before there’s any trouble. Those ladies don’t seem to hardly care, even though there was for sure a baby in there. And when they’re finished shopping, they walk up the street plaughing, and I said to them: ‘ You know, you can by fruits and vegetables anywhere, but you can’t buy a new baby.’ So one of them gives me the finger and they just keep walking.”

PHILIP
“They gave you the finger?”

TONY
“Yup. With a moms like that, you know kids are gonna be messed up.”
[typos in the original have been left as is – Mark]

This is taken from a blog by a homeless man in Toronto (Tony), set up for him by someone (Philip) who walked by him every day and got interested in him. Tony panhandles on Roncesvalles Avenue, in Toronto's west end (just east of High Park).

Very interesting. You can read more at: http://homelessmanspeaks.wordpress.com/
Mark Llew

PreviousNext

Return to Oddz-n-Sodz