Quotes

Have fun and enjoy. stories, humour, comments or whatever, but keep it in good taste, this site is viewed by all ages and religions.

Moderator: Mark Llew

Postby Guest » Tue May 22, 2007 9:39 am

:lol:
Thanks Al, got my day starting the right way!

From a time when the US government was capable of wisdom

Postby Mark Llew » Thu May 31, 2007 8:21 pm

“You will find many things in Britain physically different from similar things in America. But there are also important similarities – our common speech, our common law, and our ideals of religious freedom were all brought from England when the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. Our ideas about political liberty are also British and parts of our own Bill of Rights were borrowed from the great chapters of British liberty... The important thing to remember is that within this apparently old fashioned framework the British enjoy a practical, working twentieth-century democracy which is in some ways even more flexible and sensitive to the will of the people than our own.”

“A British woman officer or non-commissioned officer can – and often does – give orders to a man private. The men obey smartly and know it is no shame. For British women have proven themselves in this way. They have stuck to their posts near burning ammunition dumps, delivered messages afoot after their motorcycles have been blasted from under them. They have pulled aviators from burning planes. They have died at their gun posts and as they fell another girl has stepped directly into the position and ‘carried on’. There is not a single record in this war of any British woman in uniformed service quitting her post or failing in her duty under fire.
Now you understand why British soldiers respect the women in uniform. They have won the right to the utmost respect. When you see a girl in khaki or air-force blue with a bit of ribbon on her tunic – remember she didn’t get it for knitting more socks than anyone else in Ipswich.”

Extracts from “Instructions for American Servicemen in Britain 1942”, a pamphlet issued by The United States War department in 1942, and distributed to American servicemen going to Britain in preparation for the eventual invasion of occupied Europe
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:36 pm

“We are the ones for whom we have been waiting.” – Hopi saying
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:45 am

A "paraphrase" of a memorable safety PA from WestJet Flight Attendants, From a retired WestJet Captain. In his own words....
"I was flying to Vancouver from Toronto this weekend, and the flight attendant reading the flight safety information had the whole plane looking at each other like "what the heck?" (Getting Toronto people to look at each other is an accomplishment.) So once we got airborne, I took out my laptop and typed up what she said so I wouldn't forget. I've left out a few parts I'm sure, but this is most of it."

(BEFORE TAKEOFF)
Hello and welcome to WestJet Flight 438 to Vancouver. If you're going to Vancouver, you're in the right place. If you're not going to Vancouver, you're about to have a really long evening. We'd like to tell you now about some important safety features of this aircraft. The most important safety feature we have aboard this plane is The Flight Attendants. Please look at one now.

There are 5 exits aboard this plane: 2 at the front, 2 over the wings, and one out the plane's rear end. If you're seated in one of the exit rows, please do not store your bags by your feet. That would be a really bad idea. Please take a moment and look around and find the nearest exit. Count the rows of seats between you and the exit. In the event that the need arises to find one, trust me, you'll be glad you did. We have pretty blinking lights on the floor that will blink in the direction of the exits. White ones along the normal rows, and pretty red ones at the exit rows.

In the event of a loss of cabin pressure these baggy things will drop down over your head. You stick it over your nose and mouth like the flight attendant is doing now. The bag won't inflate, but there's oxygen there, I promise. If you are sitting next to a small child, or someone who is acting like a small child, please do us all a favor and put on your mask first. If you are traveling with two or more children, please take a moment now to decide which one is your favorite. Help that one first and then work your way down.

In the seat pocket in front of you is a pamphlet about the safety features of this plane. I usually use it as a fan when I'm having my own personal summer. It makes a very good fan. It also has pretty pictures. Please take it out and play with it now.

Please take a moment now to make sure your seat belts are fastened low and tight about your hips. To fasten the belt, insert the metal tab into the buckle. To release, it's a pulley thing -- not a pushy thing like your car, because you're in an airplane -- HELLO!

There is no smoking in the cabin on this flight. There is also no smoking in the lavatories. If we see smoke coming from the lavatories, we will assume you are on fire and put you out. This is a free service we provide. There are two smoking sections on this flight, one outside each wing exit. We do have a movie in the smoking sections tonight ... hold on, let me check what it is . Oh here it is ... the movie tonight is Gone With the Wind.

In a moment we will be turning off the cabin lights, and it's going to get really dark, really fast. If you're afraid of the dark, now would be a good time to reach up and press the yellow button. The yellow button turns on your reading light. Please don't press the orange button unless you absolutely have to. The orange button is your seat ejection button.
We're glad to have you with us on board this flight. Thank you for choosing WestJet, and giving us your business and your money. If there's anything we can do to make you more comfortable, please don't hesitate to ask. If you all weren't strapped down you would have given me a standing ovation, wouldn't you?

(AFTER LANDING)
Welcome to the Vancouver International Airport. Sorry about the bumpy landing. It's not the Captain's fault. It's not the Copilot's fault. It's the Asphalt. Please remain seated until the plane is parked at the gate. At no time in history has a passenger beaten a plane to the gate. So please don't even try. Also, please be careful opening the overhead bins because 'shift happens'."
Mark Llew

Women and Men

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 am

"Saying that men talk about baseball in order to avoid talking about their feelings is the same as saying that women talk about their feelings in order to avoid talking about baseball." – Deborah Tannen
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:17 am

"Verily the lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul, and then walks grinning in the funeral." – Kahlil Gibran
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:19 am

"Young persons grow up in libraries, believing it their duty to accept the views which Cicero, which Locke, which Bacon have given, forgetful that Cicero, Locke and Bacon were only young men in libraries when they wrote those books." – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:20 am

"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon." – Susan Ertz
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:57 pm

"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young." – Oscar Wilde
Mark Llew

Postby Lisa Copland » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Mark Llew wrote:"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young." – Oscar Wilde

Huh? :?
Lisa Copland

jamie harrison's college friends

Postby kanderson » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:25 am

Any chance you're still buds with these people? Can you get them, as Canadian philanthropists, to expedite Canadian aid to Darfur?
kanderson

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:01 pm

"A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures." – Daniel Webster
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:02 pm

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." – GK Chesterton
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:02 pm

"Punctuality is the virtue of the bored." – Evelyn Waugh
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:02 pm

"We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are." – the Talmud
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:03 pm

"Change is not made without inconvenience, even from worse to better." – Samuel Johnson
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:03 pm

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." – Mahatma Ghandi
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:38 pm

"NEGRO: Member of a subgroup of the human race who hails, or whose ancestors hailed, from a chunk of land nicknamed – not by its residents – Africa. Superior to the Caucasian in that Negroes did not invent nuclear weapons, the automobile, Christianity, nerve gas, the concentration camp, military epidemics, or the megalopolis." – John Brunner, in Stand on Zanzibar
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:40 pm

"LOGIC: The principle governing human intelligence. Its nature may be deduced from examining the two following propositions, both of which are held by human beings to be true and often by the same people: 'I can't, so you mustn't,' and 'I can, but you mustn't.' " – John Brunner, in Stand on Zanzibar
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:44 pm

“What I do is me: for that I came.” – from As Kingfishers Catch Fire, by Gerard Manley Hopkins
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:45 pm

“I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." – George Bernard Shaw (it's his birthday today)
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:46 pm

"All great truths begin as blasphemies." – George Bernard Shaw
Mark Llew

Postby Barry Jowett » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:55 pm

Mark Llew wrote:“I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." – George Bernard Shaw (it's his birthday today)
Shaw's or the pig's?
Barry Jowett

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:21 pm

"To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved." – George MacDonald (1824–1905), a Scottish novelist, poet and minister admired by (and in some cases an inspiration for) JRR Tolkien, WH Auden, GK Chesterton, and Mark Twain.
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:22 pm

"We are often unable to tell people what they need to know because they want to know something else." – George MacDonald (see above)
Last edited by Mark Llew on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Llew

PreviousNext

Return to Oddz-n-Sodz