PB is on Facebook --- Yay, C'mon JB

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

PB is on Facebook --- Yay, C'mon JB

Postby Al Darby » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:13 am

PB sent you a "Friends Request", feel like you're ignoring me. :headbang:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Re: PB is on Facebook --- Yay, C'mon JB

Postby John_Bailey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:22 am

Been on Facebook for years, don't like it. I like it here better but it just doesn't seem to work anymore.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:16 pm

John_Bailey wrote:Been on Facebook for years, don't like it. I like it here better but it just doesn't seem to work anymore.

Hey JB, what "doesn't work anymore"?
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Petitbois » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:54 pm

It isn't that GTOL doesn't work any more.
It is that WE collectively, don't work any more, at least, we don't want to work hard.
It takes effort here to add the often mindless, cute funny sayings and pics that make FB so annoying for me. There are restrictions on the file size that you can upload, so you must be able to adjust the image etc..
Here, no one posts useless drivel, like 'I'm having a latte at TH", or "This cat video kept me awed for seven hours!", because we recognize that nobody cares.
Yes, it is much easier to find people wherever they are, and from that point of view, over 18 million Canadians are on FB.
A crowd draws a crowd.
I use FB mainly to keep track of music in the community at Lion's Head.....concerts, jams, get togethers, opportunities to play, etc.. Sometimes I vent on soapbox issues, as in the recent election....and SOMEONE has to remind JB how wrong he often is!
I really resent the invasion of my privacy, the tracking of everything I may write so they can bombard me with 'important ads', and the multilayers of difficulty they present when I push back.
I think the main reason I loved writing here at GTOL was the degree to which it awakened my creative streak. Certainly a chemistry created by the participants. So much humour shared.
As I get older, my patterns have changed. With retirement came free time to pursue long-suppressed wondering about peers from public and high school. I joined Classmates for a number of years, and it was enjoyable in reconnecting with old friends, and lots of former students, and also very useful as we planned the 2007 Homecoming.
Because I use FB sparingly, I seldom answer Friend Requests...there is a long list I have ignored, not out of any dislike for people, but because I likely will have nothing of interest to share with them.
For my family and close friends, I call or email. Likewise, few people have my cell phone number....I turn it on only when I want to make a call, or when out on the motorcycle....often my bill shows a monthly usage of 2-3 minutes.
It is easy to get sucked into spending 4 or 5 hours online every day. Lately I have consciously been trying to limit my online time (at this minute this is keeping me from getting up on the roof and caulking around the chimney before tonight's deluge) to spend more time doing more productive or enjoyable things...like playing saxophone.
But with winter approaching, activity here on GTol can easily draw me back.
The Dragon Whisperer
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby John_Bailey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:19 am

Most of what you say is very true PB. I don't agree that spending time here was or is wasted. I keep checking in to see if anyone has picked up the ball we dropped but to no avail. It was fun and very interesting but life changes and some days it's hard to well you know what I mean. I'll keep checking just in case.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby linda paul » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:22 am

I do miss the good old days here at GTOL. I remain the winner of the "PB couldn't come up with a response" prize. Remember PB?

I will admit, I have become a big fan of facebook because I have re-found so many old friends from Public and High School. I, too, don't like all the postings about animals and jokes etc.

I don't share anything on facebook that I don't care if the whole world sees. I have checked in on GTOL many times and nothing is usually going on. That is really too bad. Don't know what we can do to revive it.
linda paul

Yay, C'mon JB...so to speak

Postby Petitbois » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:43 am

John_Bailey wrote:?.....what you say is very true PB....but life changes and some days it's hard..... you know what I mean......

JB, I know what you mean.
And my NY's wish for you is that it happens every day.
Hopefully you won't be alone at the time.
(And don't let your prescription expire!)
PB
The Dragon Whisperer
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby JulieJane » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:22 am

I guess Facebook has taken over. I must admit to being on there too. Can't really explain it. There certainly is a lot of crap going on there, and sometimes I get a really good laugh. Sometimes I enjoy keeping up with far-flung family and friends all at the same time on one posting, and a lot can just be ignored. I don't really care for the tracking of everything I do, and I try not to "connect to Facebook" in as many things as I can. Sometimes it's kind of creepy when you find someone on your list of people you may know, and you've never ever had any contact with them, or anybody they, or you, know in common, and haven't a clue how they showed up.....that is really scary. That happened to me and I'm still wondering how this person ever got on my site. Nothing ever happened, but I'm curious as to how that can occur.

So many things have changed in most of our lives since we started posting on this board. I see that I first joined in 2002 or thereabouts. That's amazing. And then a lot of people here branched off when the Georgetown On Line went on Facebook....so that made a huge difference here.

I wonder how many of the previous core group still check in to this site and just never bother posting anything - or have they all abandoned the ship completely? Maybe it's become a community of lurkers ?

Anyway.......Merry Christmas....Happy Holidays.....Seasons Greetings....and all that to any and everybody reading. Hope you all have lovely Christmas and New Year's celebrations with family and friends.

Cheers
Julie :D
JulieJane

Return to Georgetown @ Large