The Election

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

The Election

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:03 am

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the federal election. In our riding I see Dr.Trant winning Georgetown but overall I can't see him beating Michael Chong. Hey, I could be wrong.
Phantom Gtowner

Re: The Election

Postby Mark Llew » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:52 pm

I do have some thoughts on the election, for what they’re worth. I’m hesitant to express them, because… you know…

First, to me the key issue is the state of democracy in Canada. We have a government that repeatedly passes laws that go against the constitution (against advice) and then when they are told by the Supreme Court that the law IS unconstitutional, they attempt to undermine the Court. They create huge omnibus bills, hide unrelated items in the omnibus bill, and then allow almost no time to discuss the bill. They try to remove the rights of some citizens. They create wedge issues, and then use them to create divisions that allow them to skate inbetween to win elections. The Cons have no affection for or commitment to the ethical underpinnings of a constitutional democracy. I could go on, but you see my point

Second, Harper has to go. Period. The Cons ran ads saying Justin Trudeau “just isn’t ready”, but Harper “just isn’t fit” to be Prime Minister. If that means that we have to sacrifice a decent politician like Michael Chong, then so be it. Mind you, there is a limit to Chong’s decency, because he still votes the party line in Parliament.

Now that I’ve said all this, I’m going to have to change my account name to The L-Man and ban myself!

As far as the outcome goes, I think there’s going to be a minority government. If it’s either the NDP or the Libs, it’ll survive for a while. If it’s the Cons, who knows? Personally, if it is the Cons I’d like there to be an immediate No-Confidence vote in Parliament and then (If the Governor General doesn’t do the right thing and ask someone else to govern) have another election right away. In that second election, the parties would have no money, so we wouldn’t be subjected to all the advertising, especially the attack ads. Everyone could take stock of what happened in their riding in the first election, and adjust their votes strategically for the second election. Just my fantasy… maybe there’d then be a majority government after the second election.
Mark Llew

Postby John_Bailey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:39 am

You're safe Mark. By the look of the view counter the election will be over for a year before anyone other than us 3 see your post.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:37 pm

From what I've heard it appears you're right Mark about a minority government. I'm wondering if it were the Conservatives to win if the New Democrats and Liberals might join forces and muscle the Tories out. This happened in Ontario in 1985 when Peterson and Rae took the reins from Frank Miller. And you're right (again) about Michael Chong. I actually like Chong but a vote for him is a vote for Harper. And consider this, if Chong gets elected but the Tories bite the dust he'll be in a clover. It might be a long shot but he could eventually become the leader of the party. The country seems deeply divided at this time and this election is a very important one for Canada.
Phantom Gtowner

Postby Mark Llew » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:28 am

Yay ! ! ! !
Mark Llew

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:17 pm

I really thought the Liberals might win but I didn't see a majority government. And just three weeks ago all three parties were in a dead heat. Just goes to show the only poll that counts was October 19th. I wonder if Trudeau will call Obama to try to patch up the icy relationship he had with Harper. It's a brand new day and let's hope good things will happen.
Phantom Gtowner

Return to Georgetown @ Large