Stewart Saxe

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Stewart Saxe

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:36 pm

There's an article in today's Globe And Mail in a "Lives Lived" feature on Stewart Saxe. Some of you will remember him from GDHS days I'm sure. I never knew him but he was definitely a character you wouldn't ever forget. Stewart passed away on November 23rd 2014 of respiratory failure in Toronto. He was 67 years of age.
Phantom Gtowner

Re: Stewart Saxe

Postby John_Bailey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:00 pm

I remember him, I can even picture him and I don't know why, there were 100's more whose name and looks have long since left my brain.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby John_Bailey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:35 pm

John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Petitbois » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:28 am

I first met Stewart at Wrigglesworth....I think he may have been in my grade 4 class....and he was in various classes through high school. He was one of the first people to invite me to a birthday party when we moved to Georgetown.
I am saddened to learn of his passing. Before the HC2007, I contacted him about attending, and we exchanged summaries of the past decades. He was working in the labour law field, and I looked forward to seeing him again at the reunion, but he was unable to attend.
I enjoyed his sense of humour, and the way he would take a stand on political issues that, at that time, I had little interest in, or knowledge of. I once double dated with him and Leslie, his girlfriend of the day. We went to see The Crucible, with dinner after at Ed's Warehouse, I think.
My favourite memory from GDHS days was the school-wide debate in the auditorium. He teamed with Jim Bowman and Bob Ilse, and they came out on stage with a huge pile of reference books that they used liberally to support their argument. What a show they put on!
I always admired his confidence when speaking before an audience. He thought well on his feet and was never intimidated.
In gr. 12 history, he loved to bait Fuzzy Walker with assertions that the US should make a pre-emptive strike against Russia and Communist China and wipe them out! Fuzzy would get twisted into knots, and we enjoyed the exchanges.
Stewart has a younger brother...Stephen?....who played sax in the school band. To him I extend my sincere condolences at his loss, and of course, to his wife and family. Her tribute to Stewart, linked, above, was touching and beautiful.
PB
The Dragon Whisperer
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby JulieJane » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:51 am

I'm sure most of us remember Stewart coming to school with his briefcase, and he always wore suit pants. He was the embodiment of the "nerdy" type, but he knew where he was going in life and he got there. How many kids in high school did the same ? I think he was one of those guys who "came into themselves" later in life. I remember having a conversation with him in the parking lot at our street dance at the '87 reunion, and being impressed at what a really decent guy he was and how he seemed to ooze confidence. His whole family is quite brilliant. His wife is a very prominent, clever person in her own right and so are their kids. I think they made a lovely, "on the same wave length" family. Stewart did good !!!!

So sorry to have another one of our peers pass on. There's been so many. Condolences to the family. I am sure he will be greatly missed by many.
JulieJane

Postby linda paul » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:47 am

Wow, I am truly saddened to hear this news about Stewart. I knew him at Chapel Street Public School.

He had a little crush on me and kept bringing me presents which my Mom always made me give back. This makes a lot of sense when I read his wife's comments on the gift buying for his children.

Yes, he was nerdy but his intelligence oozed out of him and he could care less what people thought of him. I remember him always smiling like he knew something that he wasn't about to divulge.

RIP Stewart.
linda paul

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:35 pm

I'm not sure I've got this right but didn't he marry the daughter of Dr. Morton Shulman?
Phantom Gtowner

Return to Georgetown @ Large