What is a "Hometown" ?

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

What is a "Hometown" ?

Postby JulieJane » Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 pm

What constitutes a certain place in your life as your "Hometown" ? Is it the town you were born in, the town you went to public school in, the town you went to High School in, the town you got married in, the town where you spent most of your adult life, the town you had your first home as an adult in ?

I would suppose that quite a few people would have a different concept. What's yours ?
JulieJane

Re: What is a "Hometown" ?

Postby John_Bailey » Wed May 08, 2013 1:25 am

I was born in Toronto, lived in The Glen from 2 until 5 moved to Georgetown, left Georgetown when I was 21, have been in Erin since. Georgetown is still my home even though I usually don't shop there or go there very often.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Wed May 08, 2013 4:16 am

I was born in Mt. Dennis, but at age 4, my Father headed off to WWII and my Mom, my Brother Bill and I moved to Georgetown, to live with my Grandparents, Maude and George Barnes, in their home at 47 john Street. My Cousins Dorothy and Katy Williams lived next door at 49 John St.

I pretty much lived there till '62 when I relocated to Vancouver with my (ex) wife and child.

I've lived here in OZ longer than I lived in Canada, but Georgetown IS my Home Town! They say "Home is where the heart is", so I guess that kinda covers it.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby linda paul » Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

My husband and I have had many discussions about this. I have always said that when we no longer can winter in Florida that I am moving back to Georgetown (as we can't live in our Cottage year round.) He doesn't understand why I want to return there.

I have thought about it long and hard and I have come up with the conclusion that the reason I must return is because that is where my roots are. Bob moved to Georgetown in 1955 when he was 8 years old from Toronto and we lived in Georgetown until we moved to our cottage near Fergus in 2005. That is 50 yrs. that he lived in Georgetown but he doesn't care if he ever moves back. Why? I think because he doesn't have roots there.

I have had five generations of family born in Georgetown and he has no family that was actually born there.

I think that is the difference.

Georgetown will always be home to me and with or without Bob, I will return there. (Hee Hee). Don't tell him I said that.
linda paul

Postby John_Bailey » Wed May 08, 2013 4:39 pm

I was just thinking (not always a good thing) shouldn't you be buried in your home town.
I thought about this in 1992 when my Dad died, he was buried in Halliburton. That's where they retired to.
Or will you care or know the difference.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby JulieJane » Wed May 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes, I see you've thought about where to head for that final resting spot, John. I suppose that since we live in Guelph, I would pick Guelph. But, that's assuming my kids and grandkids would want that.

I've had long discussions with my hubs over this query. He and I were born in the same Maternity Hospital in the same city in England. We spent our first 3 years not too far away from each other - although we didn't know it then. His family went to South Africa when he was 4 and spent some time in various cities there and then went back to England, and then on to Canada, then back to South Africa and finally ended up in Canada. He's had so many homes, schools and sets of friends that he would now pick London, Ontario as his Home Town because he went to High School there. Guelph is just sort of where we live now.

I had so many wonderful experiences in going to school and having friends and family in England til I was nearly 11 that I'm always thinking wistfully of "home" as being in England. We still have loads of Aunts, Uncles and cousins there. We moved around a bit before I went to GDHS, and then I left Georgetown to live and work in Toronto when I was 18. However, when The King and I got married (in St. Georges next to the High School) we saved up enough money to buy our first home in Georgetown, and we lived in it for 17 years. Our girls were born in Georgetown and went all through public school there. So........now Georgetown takes a place as a "Hometown" for the 4 of us.

Then we moved to Guelph in 1989 and have been here the longest of anywhere in our lives. The girls made their more lasting friends here and went all through High School here. One daughter lives here in Guelph with her family and the other one lives up north of Fergus.

I just can't quite make up my mind where I feel more in tune with. The place with the most emotional tie for me, would be England. The practical place would be Georgetown where we spent those 17 years and had our two children. And Guelph.......I don't really have any roots or ties here but this is it. Now, if we uproot again and it's not in Guelph, then I guess I'll just think of myself as a gypsy !
JulieJane

Postby John_Bailey » Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Guelph is just sort of where we live now. JJ

That's funny, My wife and kids were born in Erin I just sort of live here. That kind of says it all.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Return to Georgetown @ Large