Old Map

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Old Map

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:44 am

A couple of weeks ago I was in "The Sheppard's Crook" on Main Street and there's an old map on the wall of Georgetown undated. It's interesting for at least a couple of reasons. Wesleyan Street appears to extend far beyond the corner of Market Street where it stops now and appears to continue west into what is now a parking lot behind Oddfellows Hall then turning south onto what was known as Young Street, now Mill Street. Would this mean this map pre-dates Oddfellows Hall? Also Emery (Emory?) Street is different. Keep in mind that short portion of King Street west of Queen was once known as Emery Street. Anyway, Emory Street appears to extend west past McNabb and curves around to the south to join Queen Street. Also St. Michael Street is extended north to John Street. This map doesn't have Normandy Blvd on it but it does have Elgin and Sarah Streets which kind of surprised me. Pretty interesting stuff!
Phantom Gtowner

Re: Old Map

Postby Al Darby » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Any chance of somebody getting a copy / photo of the map, that we could put in the Vault, for all to share, especially non-residents??
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Young Old Bill » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Hell, I didn't even know they'd changed the name of Emery Street. Seems t'me they're changin' everythin' these days, about as often as they change their underwear. Oddfellows Hall? Cripes, don't remind me! I know all about that. I remember walklin' in there one time by mistake, didn't know what I was doin' and one of them odd fellers dressed like a lady grabbed me and told me I'd have ta learn everything the hard way. Well, I received a few good pointers and then I hightailed outa there in a hurry. Well, 'course I was still a young'un then and could run pretty fast.

It's bin awhile since I wrote in. Where's everybody gone? Bet you young'uns figured I was up Greenwood by now. Well it ain't dark yet but it's gettin' there.
I ain't old, I just look old, that's all.
Young Old Bill

Postby Al Darby » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:31 pm

The only time(s) I went into the Oddfellows Hall, was for the Club Midtown dances, in the early days, before we took over the Rose Room.

A few of our regulars still post from time to time and a couple are off sulking in the corner, but the bulk are getting their faces booked.

It's looking more and more like we've passed our use by date.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Petitbois » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Young Old Bill wrote:Hell, I didn't even know they'd changed the name of Emery Street. I recall when it was just still a board! Seems t'me they're changin' everythin' these days, about as often as they change their underwear- like me- once a month. Oddfellows Hall?....... learn everything the hard way. Well, I received a few good pointers and then I hightailed outa there in a hurry...... I had the runs a lot back then.
It's bin awhile since I wrote in. Where's everybody gone? Bet you young'uns figured I was married to Lee Greenwood by now.
Well it ain't dark yet but it's gettin' there.

Good to hear from you, YOB!
Perhaps you could share some of the 'good pointers' you picked up from your Odd Man Out visit.

On an optimistic note, YOB. It isn't dark out.
Take off your sunglasses!!
PB
The Dragon Whisperer
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Return to Georgetown @ Large