Zellers

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Zellers

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:46 am

Zellers closed this week after a 40 year run in Georgetown. Things were never quite the same for the store after Walmart moved into the mall in 1994. I can remember people coming to shop there not just from Georgetown but Acton, Hillsburgh and Erin too. In the 1980's it was one of the busiest Zellers in Ontario. This marks the end of an era.
Phantom Gtowner

Re: Zellers

Postby JulieJane » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:50 am

We have 3 Zellers stores in Guelph. The biggest one (which was brand new a few years ago and huge) is being turned into a Target. I've never been into a Target so I don't know what we can expect. We also have a huge Walmart in the North End which a group of people fought against. Now there are rumors that a Costco might be coming in. We let our Costco "membership" lapse. We just didn't go there enough to justify even the cost of that. There also seems something so pretentious about "being a member" to be allowed to shop somewhere.

When we lived in Georgetown, I racked up quite a lot of points on my Zellers card.
JulieJane

Re: Zellers

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:45 am

"Pretentious" is a word I use quite a lot, too much actually. But it really applies to a lot of things in everyday 21st Century life. In some ways, I'll be glad to be moving on.
Phantom Gtowner

Return to Georgetown @ Large