Fong's Restaurant

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Re: Fong's Restaurant

Postby Gloria Jones » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 am

kimsbirds wrote:never went there but did hear it was quite fancy.

Actually, it wasn't fancy, but very homey. As PB said it was all homemade. The biggest pop-overs I have ever seen. The woman who owned it would come around to your tables through the night to see if you were enjoying her cooking. It actually was well known from City folks. I remember one of her recipes being in the TV guide for the GTA and she had been visited by food critics and got rave reviews.
I very seldom leave town if going out for dinner. We have many fine restaurants in Georgetown now. The best is when you go to a nice dinner Down Town then walk to the Elliott Theatre for a performance, then back to a coffee shop after. NO PARKING fees. Why people go to the City, pay ridiculous charges to park the car and fight traffic is beyond me. Sounds like I'm a real country bum don't I. :laff:
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby Scooter1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:02 pm

I hear that it was sisters that owned it and as Gloria and PB stated everything was homemade. It was visited by many from all over. It was a recommended as one of the finest dinner spots by the travel industry.
Scooter1

Postby JulieJane » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:14 pm

"I very seldom leave town if going out for dinner. We have many fine restaurants in Georgetown now"

Gloria - where is a good place to eat in Georgetown, (and I don't mean Kelsey's or other chain facilities)? It's getting harder and harder to find something "independent".
JulieJane

Postby Gloria Jones » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Julie, here are three that I can think of:
The Cellar on Main Street. The Cellar has $30 specials (plus tax) on this month which is a great deal. Main Street Inn is very nice, but can be pricey and Mattina's Cucina on Mountainview is very good. Small place and will need reservations.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby Barry Lewis » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:04 pm

I believe the Legion has fine dining , good pickled eggs and sausage and the beer is always cold and also at a good price ; now that's fine dining .

Barry
Barry Lewis

Postby mjmward » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Who woke you up.fine dining at its best I am sure.
mjmward

Postby Al Darby » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Barry Lewis wrote:I believe the Legion has fine dining , good pickled eggs and sausage and the beer is always cold and also at a good price ; now that's fine dining .

Barry

It's my understanding that once the Carbon Tax is introduced, pickled eggs will be banned for being harmful to the environment.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Eating out in Georgetown: I've got three:
1.If you like Japanese food you could try Yo Yo's. It's in the old Spot-On-Seven building.
2.The Tai Restaurant, where Young's Pharmacy used to be, is a favourite with both of my daughters.
3.Matina's, where Hunter's inn was, is pricey but quite good.
Phantom Gtowner

Postby Mark Ezard » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:40 pm

OMG, all these discussions about restaurants and icon stores of the past in Georgetown is making my memory flood with my own favourite spots when I grew up there. Pomeroy's Sports store on Main, dad would take me to Perk's Baber Shop on Main and then we would go across the street to the smoke shop to get candy....can't remember the old guy's name with the beard that ran it though. Fish & Chips shop on Main. Woolworths of course. Beckers on the corner of hwy 7 (Guelph) and Margaret where I would bike up and get those large plastic jugs of milk and a pack of Buckinghams and Rothmans cigarettes for my parents. Smokes I think back then were $.75/pack and me as a kid could easily buy them.

I as a teeager lived at the DQ beside the old BP station on Guelph. Bought many a Rum Butter and Creme de Menthe shakes there! Took guitar lessons at Neil's Music shop just down from the Beckers I just spoke of and I remember the Sport "N" Tack shop there as well. FC on the corner by the lights at Maple and Guelph, across from the post office bldg. I remember the old theatre downtown that sat as a burned carnage for many yrs just around the corner from Kentners, almost across the street from the cop shop. Ah....memories....LOL
Mark Ezard

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:17 pm

The BP at the end of Rexway was a Cities Service station when I arrived in town. BP bought Cities Service and were eventually swallowed up by Petro Canada. I can't say I remember Woolworth's, not in Georgetown anyway. Where was it located?
Phantom Gtowner

Postby Mark Llew » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:21 am

I remember when that BP station was an Edsel dealership!

And Mark, I remember buying cigarettes for my grandmother at 25 cents a pack at that corner store at Edward and Guelph (Margaret Street is at the end of Edward -- I lived there for a couple of months when I first came to Canada)
Mark Llew

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:22 am

If I recall Woolworth's was between Fong's (now Yong's) and the alley on Main Street. Eventually The Herald or Barrager's Cleaners took over the space.
Across the street was Crest Hardware and Farnell's Grocery store.
Oldtimer

Previous

Return to Georgetown @ Large