AND WHERE DID YOU WORK

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

AND WHERE DID YOU WORK

Postby linda paul » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:45 pm

I thought it would be fun to share where we worked as teenagers in Georgetown. Who was your boss, and any funny stories that arose from that job.

My main job, of course, was working for my parents in their Dry Cleaning Store "King's Cleaners" on Mill St. across from the Legion. I hated that job because I had to work everyday after school and missed out on a lot of after school activities, if you know what I mean. I also disliked it because I hated making change. I was so afraid of making a mistake. You actually had to know how to make change in those days. What I liked about the job and I find it a little gross now is that I had to empty the pockets of men's pants. Any coins I found I could keep. But can you imagine what else I would find in those pockets. Yuck.

My other job was working in the kitchen at The Georgetown Hospital. My boss in the kitchen was Mrs. Sommer who lived on Park Street and I think her husband was a artist. I liked that job but nothing funny happened except seeing some parts of the male anatomy that a young teenager shouldn't be seeing.
linda paul

Re: AND WHERE DID YOU WORK

Postby kimsbirds » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:53 pm

I worked at Preston's in the Glen when I was 14, but only stayed for a few months. I then started at Valdi's Discount Foods (anyone remember that?). Was there for a few years, during which, I started at Hasty Market (Mountainview and Hwy 7). Worked both those jobs for a few years too, while in h/s.

Next?
kimsbirds

Postby JenG » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:18 am

McDonald's from 1990 to 1995
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby Scooter1 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:32 am

Most of my teen years, I was a RINK RAT,( 25 cents a check mark) my boss was Don Gosling, assistant managers were Doug Vivian and John Knight, there were so many funny things that happened, I guess the most entertaining was the running fued between Ray Peacock and Don, he fired Ray I think at least 20 times and everytime Ray's dad Ken would come flying over, set to kill Don. But Ray worked on for years, I worked at the Post Office one Christmas and the next spring, great job, why did I not stay? On Saturdays I helped George the Steen's driver with his route before my RINK RAT days and the odd Saturday even after ( $5.00 a day and free Chocolate Milk)!
Scooter1

Postby Al Darby » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:21 am

Delivered the Globe and Mail in my early teens.

Spotted pins in the bowling alley as a teenager. Worked in Cotton Bros for a while. Also picked fruit for a while (a LOT of fruit). Delivered milk, did anything that paid (including Babysitting and Pool).

In High School worked in the Finishing Room at Provincial Paper during Summer Holidays. CIBC when I finished.

Been working in IT since '62.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Gloria Jones » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:48 pm

My first job (besides babysitting) was delivering the Georgetown Herald. Did the George Street, Churchill Cresc. area so knew a lot of my customers kids. Then worked at Holmes 5 cent and dollar store on Main Street. It is now Great Expectations and Revitalize Spa. Was Christianne's for many years. The funny thing is I am now working in the Spa and when I go in the front door it brings back so many memories. I think I made .59 per hour. Worked a variety of jobs, made sales signs in the upstairs apartment where it was also a storage area. Worked downstairs pricing items and worked in the candy department on the main floor. Worked with some really nice ladies, but can only recall a couple of names. Al I wish I had your membory. Mrs. Stamp, Mrs. McClements are a couple that come to mind. Also worked the cash at the Riviera. It was always fun trying to find the owner (Mr. Zuber) when you had a question or problem. He had his little hideaways in that building.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:59 pm

Gloria Jones wrote:[...]

Al I wish I had your membory.

[...]

Hi GJ and thanks.

My main reason for coming here so often is to keep refreshing it and being here makes me work it harder. You know what they say:
"Use it, or lose it!"
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby linda paul » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:18 pm

OMG Gloria, I forgot you worked at Holme's. I remember the ladies you mentionned well.

I really liked that store, along with Wray's dept. store which was beside where Yong's Restaurant is now.

I think at one time Wray's was where the Sally Ann is now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as "Using it or Losing" goes, that is why I liked The Debate Forum. It made me really think.

I have recently joined the Volunteers at the Fergus "Groves Hospital". I have been totally retired the last three years and it is time to use my brain again. I even accepted the Volunteer Co-ordinators position in the CT Scan Dept. I think I will really enjoy it as being a co-ordinator I will have to attend monthly meetings etc. Looking forward to it. I volunteered at the Georgetown Hospital for 14 years so it won't be all new to me.
linda paul

Postby harrylieder » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 am

When I was 10, I used to work with my dad at Rex Heslops house.....I would cut grass and help clean.

Mr Heslop also owned the plaza at that time, where I would help dad there, He was the custodian there. I did that until I was 16 and got a part time job at the A&W when it opened.

Been downhill ever since.....lol
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
harrylieder

Postby MarilynMcL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Boy does this bring back memories! From 1966 to 1970 I worked the Express Lane at Loblaws - many evenings I also worked at the high school cleaning with my Mom, babysitting for Doctors O'Dwyer and Panabaker, Langs from G/S Television and summers I worked at Braeside Farms under the watchful eyes of Gord and Dave Smallwood who cracked the whip over us 'poor little pea-pickers'. Fired my sister Gwen on her first day just because she ate more strawberries than she picked! Hmphhh!
Marilyn
MarilynMcL

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 pm

My first real job was at General Fireproofing in 1970. For those who don't know, this company was in the "Neilson's Building" before Neilson's were there. Unlike today, it was easy. I filled out an application form and they asked me if I could start on Tuesday, September 22. I didn't have to jump through hoops, do a test or give them a resume. Hell, I didn't even know what a resume was back then. My starting rate was $2.57 an hour. Not much money, eh? Well I dunno. Back then gasoline was $0.45 a gallon (which is $0.10 a litre) and a coffee was a dime. So with an hour's pay I could buy 25 litres of gas or 25 cups of coffee, whichever I chose. Cripes, that's at least $25.00 an hour by today's standards. You won't likely find an unskilled job today for that kind of money. It would be more like half that amount. Wonder what happened? Can we blame Mulroney? At any rate, early in December the big lay-off came and that ended my first excursion into the real world.
Last edited by Phantom Gtowner on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Gtowner

Postby JenG » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Gloria Jones wrote:My first job (besides babysitting) was delivering the Georgetown Herald. Did the George Street, Churchill Cresc. area so knew a lot of my customers kids.

Wow. I lived on Churchill from 1985 until I got married in 1998. I also delivered papers but for the Penny Saver in 1986. It was a huge route too. Churchill, George, Bard, Henry, Cleaveholme, Mary, James and Lorne Streets. And for that I got paid $2.85 every two weeks. Talk about child labour!
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby Al Ward » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:10 pm

In the mid 60's I worked at the bowling alley. It was run (owned?) by two brothers, Bill & Gerry Wasylyk (sp?). At that time it was 5 pin only - I think there's some 10 pin in there now. We worked the counter dealing out score cards & shoes, collecting money, putting away and disinfecting sweaty shoes, worked the snack bar, fixed the pin setters when they jammed, cleaned the place at the end of the night etc. You wouldn't believe the number of empty liquor bottles we found under the seats at the end of the night. :drunk: All this for the princely sum of 60 cents an hour plus free drinks at the snack bar and we could bowl free at the end of the night. After a year or two of this we (there were 5 of us working alternating nights) pushed for a raise....and got it, to 90 cents an hour with no more free drinks and no more free bowling. Our first experience at negotiation. :bop:

Al
Al Ward

Postby Al Darby » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:16 pm

Al, I used to spot pins there, at 5 cents a line and spent most of my earnings at the snack bar.

In my time it was run by a couple, Jack and ??, IIRC, he was Hawaiian.

Spent most of my night ducking pins while the aforementioned liquor bottle owners tried to maim the pinboys. In particular, Jack Dempster (??) was lethal. We got even by mis-spotting the headpin just behind, or ahead, of where it should go, making it impossible to get a strike. Another trick was to dangle your leg over the gutter and they'd aim for that rather than the pins.

Invariably, we'd have a fire in the men's room started by someone throwing a lit cigarette into the waste bin. Won an award (a wristwatch) as top pinboy, it turned green in 3 months.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Return to Georgetown @ Large