Georgetown - 1950's (Wrigglesworth P.S., Dr. McAllister)

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Georgetown - 1950's (Wrigglesworth P.S., Dr. McAllister)

Postby Nancy534 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:39 am

I lived on Main Street in Georgetown, next to an old Baptist Church, from 1956 to 1958. My dad taught at Howard Wrigglesworth School and also worked part-time at Mackenzie Lumber. I have class and staff pictures from Wrigglesworth School (no names or years written on them) and some pictures of the outside of the house where we lived. I was only a toddler at the time and since both my parents have passed away, I'm hoping someone can help answer some of my questions.

I went to Georgetown last week, hoping to see where I once lived and the school where my dad taught but I think that both may be gone now. I've done a quick search of this website for information about Wrigglesworth School and saw one reference to my dad in a message by "Petitbois". He mentioned that my dad was his Grade 6 teacher. My dad's name was Mr. Byng (not Bing) and he was actually only 26 (not very "old" at all)! Would anyone know if he taught Grade 6 both years that we lived there? Could someone tell me where the school used to be located? I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in the pictures and able to fill in the names of the students and teachers if I were to post them on this website?

My mom used to mention us living in the upstairs of a house next to a church on Main Street. I have pictures showing the backyards of 2 houses, but it isn't clear which one we lived in. I saw one of the two houses last week and the address is 16 Main Street. My photos show a large barn in the backyard which is still there. I think an architect named Eric Connolly, now lives or has his business in the upstairs of the house. I don't know if we lived in this house or the brick house that was next door but is now a Bell parking lot. We either lived upstairs or next door to an older gentleman named Dr. McAllister. I'm hoping someone might remember Dr. McAllister and which house he lived in. Do you know what he year he passed away? Did he rent out the upstairs of his house, or perhaps the upstairs of his office? Does anyone remember the brick house that used to stand in the place of the current Bell parking lot? Do you know what year it was torn down? The pictures show a large white frame house next to the brick house that is no longer standing. I think it's also gone now.

My parents used to mention Miss Hume, a retired schoolteacher, who I think lived near us. Does anyone remember Miss Hume? We also had a neighbour from England named Vera who had a young son, Peter (no idea of their last name). I also remember my mom telling us about an incident involving a policeman being thrown through a store window in Georgetown during the time we lived there. Does anyone remember this?
Nancy534

Re: Georgetown - 1950's (Wrigglesworth P.S., Dr. McAllister)

Postby Petitbois » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Nancy,

So nice to find a posting about the 'old days' that I can relate to.

"I went to Georgetown last week, hoping to see where I once lived and the school where my dad taught but I think that both may be gone now. I've done a quick search of this website for information about Wrigglesworth School and saw one reference to my dad in a message by "Petitbois". He mentioned that my dad was his Grade 6 teacher. My dad's name was Mr. Byng (not Bing) and he was actually only 26 (not very "old" at all)! Would anyone know if he taught Grade 6 both years that we lived there? Could someone tell me where the school used to be located? I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in the pictures and able to fill in the names of the students and teachers if I were to post them on this website? "

Wrigglesworth School is still there, just west of Maple Avenue. It has a different name now, the Hugh Allen (?) school, part of a number of alternative high schools in Halton. I was, as noted, in your dad's class in grade 6 at Wrigglesworth. At that age, we didn't realize that your dad was so young. He was, or seemed, to be a big man, the first teacher I had with a moustache, excluding my kindergarten teacher in Downsview, MIss Lilly. I did well in his class- he was prepared, strict and fair.

I'm sure that I, along with my friend Dave Cox, who was also in that class, could name most of the students in our grade six class if you post the photo. Many of us moved along together from my entry to that school in grade four, in MIss Hall's class. Your dad probably taught grade 6 both years- our grade 7 teacher was Charles Pinkerton, and grade 8 was William Kinrade, the principal. The opening of Harrison and Park schools syphoned off some of the Wrigglesworth students while I was there.

As to the house downtown on Main Street, I'll let others comment on when it went missing. Though I recall Dr. McAllister's name, we went to Dr. Chamberlain, whose office was on Mill Street, across from the old LCBO. Having lived in Georgetown since 1955, I've only had two other doctors- Dr. Kennedy, who took over Dr. Chamberlain's practice, and Dr. Ford.

It would be great if Wrigglesworth had a full reunion.
Thanks for the post!

David Smallwood
"Petitbois"
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby Nancy534 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:30 am

Hi David:

Thanks for replying to my post! My parents and only sister passed away recently and their pictures and memories are all I left of them and are very important to me. I have all these questions I never seemed to have before and no one to ask.

I've been scanning all the family pictures and for some reason I haven't come across the Wrigglesworth class picture of my dad with a moustache. I do have the staff picture for the one year he had a moustache, which I think was 1957/58, the year you must have been in his class. I have a Wrigglesworth class picture and staff picture of him without a moustache, which I guess would be from the 1956/57 school year. I'll keep looking for the 57/58 class picture but I'm wondering, if I can't find it, would it be possible for YOU to scan it to ME or post it, if you have it?! I'd love to add it to the collection! I'll keep looking and post the 3 Wrigglesworth pictures I do have when I figure out how to do it.

Thanks,
Nancy
Nancy534

Postby linda paul » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:53 am

Hi Nancy.

I found your post very interesting. Thank you for it.

I can't really help you with your questions but I just want to comment on your dilemma.

I too have lost all of my relatives that could answer some of my questions about my heritage and things that occured in my past.

I just want to say to all of our friends here at GTOL if you have such questions ask them now before it is too late.

You think you have all the time in the world to talk to your aunts and uncles etc. but before you know it they are all gone and you have no one left to ask.
linda paul

Postby Gerry Deboer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 am

Hi Nancy,
We must have been neighbours in those two short years . I lived across the street from the Baptist Church in a two story duplex which at that time was 77 Main St. North. Dr . McAllister lived directly across the street. I used to cut the grass for Mrs. Hume. She lived in the white house two doors down from Dr. McAllister. I went to Chapel St. School in those years. I must have been just ten years old then. We moved from Main St. to Prince Charles Dr. in '64.
I'm sorry that your name doesn't register with me. We must have crossed paths at some point at that time.
I hope I can be of more help to you.
Gerry DeBoer
Gerry Deboer

Postby JenG » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi Nancy! Welcome to the site!
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby Nancy534 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:29 pm

Jen, thank you for the warm welcome!

Gerry, I can’t believe you lived right across the street and that you cut Miss Hume’s lawn! I’m trying to determine which of the two houses across the street from you was ours. The stone house right next to the church is still there, but the brick house that was beside it is now a Bell parking lot. I’ve been told that Dr. McAllister’s address was 50 Main Street N. and that he owned the two houses next to the church. I understand that he lived in one house and had his medical practice in the other. Do you remember which house he lived in and which one he used for his practice, and if he rented the upstairs of one (or both) of the houses to tenants? Do you know when Dr. McAllister passed away? Also, I was wondering if you remember the name of the Baptist Church across the road?

Do you remember if the brick house that stood between the stone house and Miss Hume’s white house had a large front porch? I have a picture of me on a swing on a wooden front porch and I’m wondering if it could be the brick house that was across the street from you. Would you happen to have any pictures of the front of that house by any chance?? Do you know when the brick house was torn down?

I have a picture of my dad and me in the driveway between the stone and brick homes, taken from the backyard, and facing Main Street. You can see a house in the background directly across from the driveway which sounds like it might be yours. I just looked at the Google maps satellite view of 16 Main Street South (stone house next to the church) and see a duplex directly across from the driveway. It looks like Miss Hume’s white frame home next to the brick house has also been torn down and is a parking lot.

I also have a picture of my mom with a woman who I think may be Miss Hume. There’s a gentleman standing beside her and I’m wondering if he might be Frank McDonald? I have a card that Miss Hume sent my mom in 1959 and she signed the name Frank McDonald along with her own. I’m wondering if you would be able to tell me if it is Miss Hume if I post the picture on this board or send it to you in an e-mail? I happened to notice her obituary in the Globe and Mail in the 1980’s, I think.

Someone told me when I was in Georgetown last week that the original Wrigglesworth School was located behind St. John’s United Church in what is now the church parking lot and that it was torn down around 30 years ago. I was glad to read David Smallwood’s message that the building my dad taught at in 1957/58 is still standing and is just west of Maple Avenue. Do you know if that would be on Guelph Street?

Thanks so much for your help!

Nancy, Sarnia
Nancy534

Postby Gerry Deboer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi Nancy,
We're going back a long time here but I think the doctor's house was the one beside Miss Hume's house. I didn't know that he owned both houses. He was very old when we lived there and didn't see much of him. I do remember that he was quite tall with a slender frame. I believe there was a one car garage in the back of the driveway between the two brick homes.We lived directly across the street. Our driveway was very steep and short. I think the Church was called the First Babtist Church. I think both houses had large porches in the front.
The school behind the United Church was Chapel St...... not Wrigglesworth. Wrigglesworth was on Guelph St. just east of the high school. I believe Chapel Street School was torn down in 1974.
I googled that area of town and see our that our old house is there still. All the big old maple trees are gone that used to line both sides of the street. The cenotaph ( at the corner of Main and Guelph streets ) was moved many years ago to what is now Rememberance Park.
I have come across some pictures in the photo gallery of that part of the Main St. showing our house and even some pics with the Baptist Church on it. It was always a popular landmark it seems. If I come across any other pictures or information that would interest you I'll let you know.
Gerry
Gerry Deboer

Postby Scooter1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Hello Nancy,
Nice to see someone new posting. Dave thought it was Hugh Allen, but it is Gary Allen High School now were Wrigglesworth was, I attended Wrigglesworth from 1955 until 1964, loved Wrigglesworth, some of my teachers were, Mrs. Bilsborrow, Miss Johnson, Miss Moffat, Mrs. McEachern, Miss Hall, Miss Birch, Mr. Robert Pinkerton, Mrs. Finlay, Mrs. Kinrade, he was the Principal, Mr. Harrison, Music, Mr. Mackey, Art, Mr. Lenz Phys-Ed, Mr. Socket, Science. What years did you say your father was there, my older brother was there from 1954 to 1962, perhaps he recalls your father. Sure hope you post some of your pictures.
Please enjoy the site.
It is really nice to have you here!
Regards,
Don
Scooter1

Postby Nancy534 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:19 am

Hi Don:

Thank you for the kind greeting and the information about Wrigglesworth. I think my dad taught there from either September 1956 or January of 1957 until June 1958. We moved to Oakville and he taught in Port Credit for a few years, then at a couple of schools in Etobicoke, and finally at York Humber High School for nearly 20 years. I can only find one Wrigglesworth class picture, although there are two different staff pictures. In one of the staff photos he has a moustache and in the other he doesn't. I found a small individual photo of him with the moustache that says "School Days 1957/58", so I'm thinking the class picture must be from the 1956/57 school year. I think there are 33 students in the picture.

I can post all 3 photos if you'd like and maybe someone might recognize some of the kids and/or teachers. Would I post it in this thread, or should they go in the "Photo" forum? I'd also like to post the picture of the woman I think might be Miss Hume and hopefully someone might recognize her. I'm driving my daughter and her friends to a concert in Toronto tomorrow so I may not be able to post them until Friday.

I read Gerry's message about Dr. McAllister. I remember my mom telling me that he was very tall and thin and apparently I was pretty frightened of him, but I remember also being scared of the woman who worked in the bakery and would always give me a cookie! I was only two or three so maybe it was just a phase... I think she said the doctor was retired at that time, but I'm not sure. I wish I could find out whether we lived above him or next door to him and in which house, but after 50 years I don't think it's likely.

Do you know if Mackenzie Lumber is still there and where the building was located in 1957/58? My dad used to work there on Saturdays and summer holidays. When we left Georgetown he worked at Thomson Lumber in Port Credit until it closed in the '70's and was torn down to become part of the GO train parking lot.

Thanks again!
Nancy
Nancy534

Postby Al Darby » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:56 am

Long after my time, but Miss Hume was my First Grade Teacher.

I've just posted this newspaper article to The Vault, Miss Hume is in the front row, just above the word "Sketches"

Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:54 am

A Dr. Arthur McAllister passed away in January 1968.
Phantom Gtowner

Postby Scooter1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi Nancy,
The old McKenzie Store Building is still standing on James Street, not sure what it is now. Where the actual Lumber Yard was across the street is a series of link homes, very nice units. I will be seeing my older brother Bruce tomorrow and will check to see if your dad taught him. Yes the pictures would be great.
Regards,
Don
Scooter1

Postby Nancy534 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:49 pm

Thank you Al, Don and Phantom Gtowner for the information about Dr. McAllister and the location of the lumber company . It was so exciting to see Miss Hume's photo and read about the history of the school! I'm going to try adding photos now to this forum. I hope it works. PICTURE #1 is my dad's class photo from either 1956/57 or 1957/58. Does anyone know which year it was, the grade, and names of the kids? Thanks, Nancy

Nancy534

Postby Nancy534 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:52 pm

PICTURE #2 must be the photo of the staff taken during that same school year:

Nancy534

Postby Nancy534 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:53 pm

I think PICTURE #3 is the staff photo taken during the school year 1957/58:

Nancy534

Postby Nancy534 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:59 pm

PICTURE #4 is of the front of 16 Main Street South. Does anyone remember if Dr. McAllister lived in this house or did he have his medical practice here? Do you know if he rented the upstairs to tenants in the 1950's?

Nancy534

Postby Nancy534 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:16 pm

PICTURES #5 and #6 were taken from the backyard of 16 Main Street South. Main Street can be seen in the background. The house on the left is the old house currently standing at 16 Main Street. The brick house on the right is now a parking lot. I know we lived in the upstairs of one of these two homes but I don't know which one.

Nancy534

Postby Nancy534 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:27 pm

PICTURE #7 shows my mom, Laura Byng, on the left with her mom beside her. Does anyone know if the woman standing second from the right is Beatrice Hume, the teacher shown in the Chapel Street photo? Is the gentleman on the far right Frank McDonald?

Thanks, Nancy

Nancy534

Postby Nancy534 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:36 pm

Finally, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the house in Picture #9 is the front porch of the brick house that used to stand next to the old house at 16 Main Street South. Does anyone remember if it had a large front porch?

PICTURE #9:

PICTURES #10 and #11 were taken in the backyard and I think the white house in the background might be Miss Hume's. I'm not sure which direction the other photo is facing, but the background might be interesting to someone who lives or lived in that area.

Nancy534

Postby Al Darby » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:55 am

That's definitely Miss Hume in #7.

I don't think I missed a week getting "the ruler" in first grade, but I still made her a necklace of beads for Christmas and My Mom and I took them to her home to give them to her.

In my day, teachers were respected, not sure that tradition continues.

Also thanks for the photos. There's a couple there I'll make copies of, for myself, as they contain Ruth McBride, who was a classmate of mine. I also note Sandra Scott and Ken Harrison are present as well.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Al Ward » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:01 am

Picture No. 2 - back row 2nd from left is Charlie Pinkerton, 4th from left is Ken Harrison.

Al
Al Ward

Postby Al Ward » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:15 am

Picture No. 3 - we think the front row from left to right is as follows: Miss Burch(sp?), Mrs. McEachern, Miss Taylor, Mr. Bill Kinrade (principal), ?. Back row - Sandra Scott standing behind Mr. Kinrade.

Al
Al Ward

Postby Gloria Jones » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:34 am

Hi Nancy: Good to have you on board and thanks for posting the pictures. Your Dad looks really familiar to me. I do remember Dr. McAllister for sure. We lived on the right side of the Baptist Church in a duplex, approx. 1956 - 1964. It was torn down and there is a new building there now as you would have noticed when you visited recently. I also attended Wrigglesworth, but only for a month as we were waiting for our home to be available then I went to Chappel. Your Dad may look familiar because of school, MacKenzie Lumber or being neighbours. Sorry I can't help you much with your questions, but enjoyed the pictures you posted.

Gloria
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark Llew » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:20 pm

This was my cohort, although not my class -- by this time I was at Harrison, although I was at Wrigglesworth until Grade 6. Grade 6 was the year of 'shift school' (1956-57). Half the kids went to school from 8 till 1, and the rest from 1 till 6 ! We were the front wave of the Boomers, and although they'd seen us coming, they weren't ready for us yet -- to be fair, the huge impact on the school system from the building boom at the Norval end of G'town (Delrex) probably hadn't been foreseen. My teacher that year was Mrs Hall.

The class photo: many many familiar faces, but awfully hard to put names to many of them. A couple of first crushes in here, too ! (they never knew ) I can't tell which year it was, but if it was 1956/57, it was Grade 6. If it was 1957/58 it was Grade 7.

Front row: 1st at the left is Ann Lorraine Noble. 6th from the left is Gail Stigger.
Middle row: 2nd from left Dave Kentner (?), 3rd from left Jim Tost (?), 4th from left Carol Farnell
Mark Llew

Next

Return to Georgetown @ Large