Georgetown - 1950's (Wrigglesworth P.S., Dr. McAllister)

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Re: Georgetown - 1950's (Wrigglesworth P.S., Dr. McAllister)

Postby mjmward » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks guys I had to go into encoding and change from left to right side.
mjmward

Postby Nancy534 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:54 am

I've re-scanned it to 5 x 7 size:

Nancy534

Re: Georgetown - 1950's and 60's

Postby Petitbois » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:59 pm

I was hoping that some of the ladies in that gr. 6 picture would have added to the missing persons by now, people like Judy Nash, Jackie Lince, Jill Runham, Mary McLintock, Jeanette Davies, etc.
But lots of folks are away on holidays....
And of course we're all getting a little longer of tooth....

As I've mentioned before, a number of us have been looking for Larry Allan for years now. Did he live on Normandy Blvd.? Or Byron or Prince Charles. The rumour was that he had entered the navy after high school, but I've never found a trace. He was a great guy! In my class several years at Wrigglesworth (it was him who made the comment in gr. 6, when the teacher showed up late after recess: " I wonder where the Old Bing Bong is?", not realizing that Mr. Byng was standing right behind him when he said it.) and in high school he was in the school band- played trombone. Very funny fellow.
I'd love to find him.

Does anyone know if there is a way to search the Armed Forces for someone? A database? Or a contact in the services who could tell if he indeed had served, and could perhaps forward a message to him?

A few years back I had been trying to find Randy Phillips, who used to live on Weber Drive. His dad had owned Phillips Chrysler, where the Esso is now entering town from Norval. We rode bikes together, and he had roomed with my brother at Western. I played racquet ball with him every week when I was at Western. (never beat him though)

He graduated in medicine and supposedly became a doctor in Hamilton. But contacting the Ontario and Canadian Medical Associations yielded nothing. One day I did a search in Yahoo, and found him indirectly. Yahoo had his father's obituary from the Guelph paper from a few years before. I looked up his mother and she was the first Phillips I called.

Seems Randy had moved to Saudi Arabia, and then to the United Arab Emirates. His brother gave me an email address and a few months later I got a reply from him over there. He has a daughter in London Ont., but I've never hooked up with him except for a couple emails, and they were before Homecoming '07.

Another GDHS/bike rider from the old days who lives over there is Doug MacKinnon, Pat's brother. They lived just off Maple, west of Main Street. Like his father, he became a pilot, (maybe for Esso) and he's likely still flying over in the UAE. I found him through Classmates and got an email from him, but he'd changed his name to something I can't recall right now.

Larry, if you're out there, let us know!!!
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby Petitbois » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:25 pm

Further to the grade 6 class picture.

For anyone who may be wanting to followup on folks in that class, here's what I know of their locations.

Art Hoekstra is in Guelph. I called once and got someone in the family but never heard back.
Haven't seen Danny Sweeney for several years, at some dances I played.
Mary McLintock was in Lindsay, but I think she moved. I have her email.
Jackie Lince/Dave MacFarlane is still in town- saw her a few months ago.
Judy Nash/Dave Shrubsole is in Guelph or Fergus, I think.
Al Thompson died about 30 years ago.
Jim Richardson is still in town, according to his sister, but I haven't seen him in 40 years.
Dave Cox, and his wife Dale, live in the Glen, near us. We see them all the time. (Hi Dave!!!)
Last time I saw Jeanette Davies was at Preston's store, about 15 years ago.
Jill Runham/Jim Blair live south of Owen Sound (Leith?)
Haven't seen Mary McNamara for many years- remember McNamara Jewelers?
Lynda Kentner, is in Toronto, if I remember what Dave Kentner told me a few years ago.
Stewart Saxe is a labour lawyer in Toronto. We exchanged emails before HC2007, and he was registered, but didn't make it.
Keith Allen is in Guelph, or Kitchener. (Dave Booth will know)
Bruce Fendley I last saw at Acton Meadows last summer. Donny can fill you in.
John Findlay was teaching at Mayfield SS before I retired. He's likely retired too.
Beryle Bailey? ask JB about her.
Bill Handy I last saw in Milton about 20 years ago. Our daughters were in nearby activities- swimming and dance, and we talked for half an hour. He hadn't changed a bit.
Pat Bowman- wasn't she a high school teacher?

The rest I haven't seen or heard about for a very long time, but I'm sure some of you have.
Take a minute and fill us in.
PB
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby Petitbois » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 pm

Hey, Marilyn/Dave,

I stopped in a couple weeks ago to see your brother in Markdale. He showed me his nasty looking scar, but he seemed to be coming along pretty well.
He also showed me his HD police bike project.

I hope to visit him again before the summer is out.

Peeb
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby Scooter1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi Dave,
Bruce is living in Georgetown on King Street above, Hill's/Rawson's Store, he is retired but works at CALERIN GOLF COURSE!
John Finlay and his wife Arlene (Crawford) live in MINDEMOYA on Manitoulin Island, Jeanette Davis was at Maple Leaf Arces, she all an All Season Trailor home. Dianne Reid was up at Wasage last I knew. I will try to get more info on others David has lost touch with.
Scooter1

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:51 am

A man named Art McAllister used to do the PA announcements at Georgetown Raider OHA Intermediate hockey games at Memorial Arena back in the early 1960's. I was fairly young then but I would think he would have been in his 30's or early 40's at that time. Could he be Dr. McAllister's son I wonder? Anybody know?
Phantom Gtowner

Postby Gloria Jones » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:19 pm

Mary McNamara (Bailey) is in Galt. Judy and Dave Shrubsole are in Hanover.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby linda paul » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:09 am

Yes, my cousin and sister told me today that Art McAllister is definitely Dr. McAllister's son. Thanks Barb and Elaine.
linda paul

Re: Georgetown - 1950's (Wrigglesworth P.S. Larry Allan

Postby Petitbois » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Nancy534 wrote:I've re-scanned it to 5 x 7 size:

Recently another person told me about a national database for armed forces members, past and present. I called a number today in Ottawa (1-888-507-1111) but they have information only on any who retired since 1997. She referred me to the National Archives.
The dilemma?

I don't know Larry Allan's birth date, nor if he had siblings (a younger or older sister is possible). With a birth date, the National Archives could confirm his military service. Larry is in our class picture, last on the right in the second row, beside Mary McClintock.
To this date, all I have is a rumour he went into the navy after GDHS.

If you were a neighbour etc. and have any further information about him, please post or PM me.
Thanks,
PB
The Dragon Whisperer
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Georgetown @ Large