GDHS Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony May 14

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

GDHS Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony May 14

Postby Petitbois » Wed May 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Tomorrow GDHS holds its inaugural Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. The two ceremonies, at 9, and at 10:30, will celebrate the contributions and achievements of 6 GDHS alumni.
David Carter, Clive Llewellyn, and Katie Harris are honoured in the first ceremony.
The second ceremony inducts Gordon Alcott, David Cox, and Jane Durrant.
There will be music by the jazz bands, greetings from the Board and Town, an explanation of this new program, and we'll hear from the recipients. A reception follows at 11:30.
This is the beginning of a great program for GDHS. I hope many alumni and former staff will be on hand to kick off the Hall of Fame, and share in the pride we have in these first six inductees.
Congratulations everyone!!
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Re: GDHS Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony May 14

Postby Petitbois » Thu May 14, 2009 1:22 pm

What a great day for GDHS!!!!

We're just home from the ceremonies, and are so impressed with what the staff and students did this morning to begin the Hall of Fame program.

The group being honoured had a huge effect on guests and students alike as they spoke about their lives, their passions, and offered advice from lessons learned to all present. A special commendation to each of the 6 student "biographers" who introduced the inductees: excellent research, writing and delivery!

And what a range of ages! From a 27 year old world traveller/adventurer to a 95 year old music teacher, these six were well chosen for their contributions and accomplishments. It would do well for all Georgetown residents to be aware of what each of the inductees achieved. As a former teacher of adolescents, it was impressive to see the rapt attention given to the speakers by the hundreds of students present- quiet, attentive, focussed, engaged. Everything about today was positive.

To Randy Keast and the Hall of Fame Committee, thank you for a job wonderfully done. Many hours invested- a stellar return!!
You made all alumni proud to be part of the GDHS family.

David and Joy
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby u-pickedcotton » Thu May 14, 2009 4:16 pm

As a former staff of GDHS I was given the distinct honour to be part of the selection committee.
I too am so impressed with the whole day as outlined above by Dave. Very moving. I'm sure many students will be motivated to pursue their passions after hearing the honourees speak.
Indeed it was impressive to see today's youth being so mature and respectful as both participants and audience.

I am once again proud to be connected with GDHS!

Neil
u-pickedcotton

Postby Gloria Jones » Sun May 17, 2009 7:56 am

So glad to hear about the success of the first Hall of Fame ceremony. Wish I could have been there. Mrs. Durrant (Evans to me) is my favourite teacher and I've had contact with her my whole life so she still influences me to this day. Thanks for the reports Dave and Neil.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby u-pickedcotton » Sun May 17, 2009 8:21 am

Gloria,
Mrs. Durrant is amazing. I had tears in my eyes as she spoke.
A firecracker for sure.

Neil
u-pickedcotton

Postby Gloria Jones » Sun May 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Neil: Do you happen to know if the ceremonies were taped?
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby u-pickedcotton » Mon May 18, 2009 7:28 am

Gloria,
I know there were cameras held by students, so I imagine there is video. There was a huge screen like in a rock concert showing the events on stage. Man how things have changed.
I was surprised cable wasn't there.

Neil
u-pickedcotton

Postby Gloria Jones » Mon May 18, 2009 9:51 am

Yes, I was hoping/thinking of cable when I asked you. Maybe I will contact the school this week and see if something is available. I would think they made discs for the recipients if the students were taping it and perhaps I could get a copy of one.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby linda paul » Mon May 18, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi Gloria and Neil

If you find out if there are tapes or anything available or if it will be on cable could you please let me know.

I was unable to make the ceremony and my uncle, Gordon Alcott was inducted.

Thank you in advance.
linda paul

Return to Georgetown @ Large