Good Moring GTOL!

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Good Moring GTOL!

Postby Scooter1 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:29 am

:D Here's wishing you all a great weekend, may you enjoy what ever to decide to do. Me I am going to spends some time in the yard and go over to my good friend Onion's to see if there is anything I might do to help the TREE CUTTING CREW! I am a real good observer. :lol:
Scooter1

Re: Good Moring GTOL!

Postby George » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:10 am

Scooter1 wrote::D Here's wishing you all a great weekend, may you enjoy what ever to decide to do. Me I am going to spends some time in the yard and go over to my good friend Onion's to see if there is anything I might do to help the TREE CUTTING CREW! I am a real good observer. :lol:

Funny that you should mention that... I was hoping to have a campfire today and roast hotdogs with the kids for lunch. But in the "New Amalgameted City of Ottawa", fire services has been consolidated to the city core. So instead of calling our local fire station for a burn permit, we now call downtown (45 minutes away), and they have determined that it is too dry to have a fire. Meanwhile, out here you have to wear your rubber boots to get through to the burn pit. There's no chance of a grass fire in this neck of the woods (not that the condo-living, downtown, city-staff would know that. And no... I'm not bitter at all :evil: :D ).

So instead, I think that I'll get the chainsaw out and spend the day felling the dead birch trees in the back acre. The ones that have slowly died off due to a combination of the Ice Storm of '97, and the damn beavers who raised the water table and drowned out all the trees. Ah, yes, rural living, ain't it fun? :lol:
George

Postby John_Bailey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:23 am

Sorry George! but I had to call the tree hugers on you :bag: , the Birch have a right to stand until they fall and rot. Don't even think about Beaver stew. :tongue:
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:31 am

John_Bailey wrote:Sorry George! but I had to call the tree hugers on you :bag: , the Birch have a right to stand until they fall and rot. Don't even think about Beaver stew. :tongue:

With all due respect JB, if Birch trees weren't meant to be "chopped" down, why do we have axes and chainsaws??

Also, without "BirchBark" how would our "First Canadians" have built canoes, quivers, etc.??

Lastly, you've obviously never been to Ottawa and developed diabetes eating Beaver Tails in Bytown Market.
BTW, George, if those doltish "Firies" are that far away, how would they ever know if you did build a fire?? Burn Baby, Burn! :bolt: :bag:
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby John_Bailey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:14 pm

I know George wouldn't eat beaver even if it was just tail.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:03 pm

John_Bailey wrote:I know George wouldn't eat beaver even if it was just tail.

I'm with you JB, the only thing I can imagine to be worse than eating beaver, would be muskrat. Yuchhh!

That said the "Beaver Tails" from Bytown Market are delicious, but pure sugar, right up there with Poutine for nutritional value.

Speaking of muskrats, I recall a time when I was in my early teens, it was winter and I was down by the Mill Pond, which was frozen over, except for a muskrat blow hole. I spied this big muskrat sitting beside the blowhole and went to check it out. The muskrat ducked down the hole with only its tail left showing. To this day, I've no idea what possessed me, but I decided to pull the muskrat back up out of the blowhole and so started pulling on the tail. I could feel the muskrat fighting to get away, but I persisted and (thankfully) just as I was about to pull the muskrat clear of the ice, I had this thought "What am I going to do with 20lbs of angry muskrat, when I do get it free of the hole?" Sanity prevailed, I dropped the tail and departed shaking my head at my folly. Still do.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Return to Georgetown @ Large