Would you be able to help again this year?

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Would you be able to help again this year?

Postby deeds30 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:49 pm

Hi there...each year, I raise money to help send a child to camp. I do this in honor of a special lady, Denise, who was a parent of a friend of Nicholas' who died of breast cancer in 2002. Denise was a widow, and she had two small children, a son who was 5 and a daughter who was 7, when Denise discovered that she had breast cancer and from meeting with the doctors, they determined that her prognosis was not good. Denise came to me to share her diagnosis and the news about how radically the chemotherapy and radiation would be after the doctors removed her breast...

I was so fortunate to be able to tell Denise that I would be able to have her child care fees covered through our YMCA Assistance, so she would be able to focus on getting herself better, knowing that her children were in a safe place. Denise was able to go for her medical treatment, go home and rest, and then come to pick up her children...her kids are not going to remember their mom throwing up in a bucket, they are going to remember their mom helping them with their homework, reading them a story and tucking them into bed.

I wish that the story had a happy ending, but unfortunately Denise died during the early fall...but the last time that I saw her at Cedarvale Park as our sons played against each other in soccer, she gave me the biggest hug and she thanked me for making a differnce in her life and in the life of her kids. Shannon and Eric are probably not going to remember me or their time at the YMCA.

Each April, I remember Denise and I do my best to raise funds for the YMCA so I will be able to help another family in this situation (I wish that I would not have to do this, but each year I am faced with another child who has lost their mom or dad and I can see the sadness in their eyes).

My goal is to raise $2400, which is the cost of sending a child to YMCA residential camp Pinecrest for one month, in hopes that a small amount of joy can be brought to these kids...I am asking for your help. I am walking in a 5K event on May 27 to support Strong Kids, and I am asking you to consider making a pledge towards my $2400 goal. If you are able, you could send it to my attention c/o the Mississsauga YMCA Child Care Centre, 325 Burnhamthorpe Road West, Mississsauga, L5B 3R2. Any amount that you could donate would be graciously appreciated...Checks can be made payable to the YMCA and each donation will receive a income tax receipt.

Please help me to bring a bit of sunshine into the lives of a child who has had to grow up too quickly...

Thanks for your consideration, Dee Dee (If you got this message on Facebook as well, I appologize for duplicating).
deeds30

Return to Georgetown @ Large