Hockey in GEORGETOWN

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Hockey in GEORGETOWN

Postby Scooter1 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:55 pm

HOCKEY TIMELINE!

Hi folks,
On behalf of the HHSM I have been ask to create a Hockey Timeline for GEORGETOWN, perhaps some of you kind folks can help. What I am trying to do is put together something that would answer many questions like

1. Prior to the Memorial Arena, where did they play hockey in Georgetown.
2. When did girls hockey first get played in Georgetown
3. When and were did kid hockey start in town?
4. What leagues did Georgetown compete in and when?
5. What year did the Jr. B Beavers start?
6. When they become the Jr. C Raiders
7. The year the Geminis began and what year did they become the Teir Two Jr. Raiders
8. What year did the the first Intermediate team begin
9. The start of GDMHA, GMHA
10. Legion Saturday morning hockey, start?
11. Championships when and where and name of team and Age group.

These any thing else that will help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Don
Scooter1

Re: Hockey in GEORGETOWN

Postby linda paul » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Don I think I was on the first Girls Hockey Team in Georgetown and that would have been 1964-65
linda paul

Postby Al Darby » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:46 am

Somewhere in The Vault is a picture of a girls team from the early 50s. Some names: Pat Vance, Neretta Zilio, Penny Schenk. They had a trophy in front of them, so I guess they won something.

I couldn't find the original (it may not be there), so have sent a copy to BC to publish. I kept getting errors.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Al's right about girls' hockey, it was long before 64-65. The Junior "B" Georgetown Beavers began play in 1963-64. I actually attended their very first league game at Dixie Arena against the Dixie Beehives. Our goalie, Doug Vivian, not only saw a lot of rubber but he got cut above the lip and had to leave the game. Another goalie took over, can't remember his name anymore, and I don't think Doug played much after that. That team was brutal. I don't think they won more than 4 games all year. I think they became the "Raiders" in 1965 but don't quote me on it. By then they had dropped back to Junior "C" and they began to be much more competitive. The Georgetown Geminis took to the ice in 1975-76, the first year of Gordon Alcott Arena. I 'm not sure about any of the other questions but I hope this helps.

Just thought of that other goalie's name. It was Robbie Irons.
Last edited by Phantom Gtowner on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Gtowner

Postby Scooter1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:39 pm

Thanks, we will get a good timeline built. The most confusing is I have pictures of Championship teams that date back to 1900s, but since the Memorial Arena is the second oldest operating arena in Ontario and it was not built until 1922, where did these teams play? I have a picture of a Hornby team and it says taken in front of the Hornby rink, where was it located? Who remembers when the Intermediates were known as the Papermakers? We need to collect these information and not let it get lost forever!
Scooter1

Postby Scooter1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:50 pm

OK folks can we name and place the people in this picture? Al Darby has three names, we just need to know which one is which, I believe the coach was Rev. Len Self

Scooter1

Postby linda paul » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Wow I had no idea there was a girls hockey team that long ago. There must have been several years between that team and ours.

I just remember we had to wear the boys cast off hockey sweaters, pants, helmuts, full of holes and dirty. We were not taken seriously and that really bothered us. We were made fun of, in fact during one of the Bantam Tournaments they asked us to put on an exhibition game which thrilled us, but then they made a big joke of it throwing down several pucks on face offs and lead pucks etc. We were not impressed. We even played out of town games.

Sorry can't help you with the girls names in earlier team.
linda paul

Postby Gloria Jones » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:53 pm

Hey Linda: I think we were on the same team because I remember that game also when they thought they'd make a joke of us. Also remember going out of town to play games and accidently hit this opponent on the shins with my stick while trying to get at the puck. I don't think she was (nor us) fully equipped at the time so it must have hurt. We just stood there staring each other down and I thought she was going to punch :punch: my lights out for sure. I was so happy to get back on the bench. :bolt:
I have a picture of that team somewhere and will post it when I find it.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby Al Darby » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:11 pm

That photo from the '50s, was sent to Colin and myself, back on 11 March '04 by Bill Hughes
Bill Hughes wrote:Gentlemen:

I'm afraid Eleanor & I can't help beyond the names given. We're having the same problem as Al.

But we have a new puzzle for you, an undated photo of a school hockey team.

We believe the front row is Delores Hetherington, Noreta (Neretta) Zilio and Eleanor "Penny" Schenk. The name of the coach may be "Self". We cannot help with the back row.

Eleanor recollects they were only able to ice the six players shown and they won the trophy.

edited by Al Darby

As I said earlier, Pat Vance is back row, left end.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:52 pm

I sure can remember playing girls hockey with the Quackenbush sisters, Pat Davidson, and Linda Paul and I believe Don Norton was our coach. The one out of town hockey game I remember the most was to Barrie where I got creamed on the boards. I think that was the last game I played. The year was either 64 or 65.
Nancy

Postby linda paul » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:21 am

Sorry Don, we are not being much help to you but it is fun recollecting that girls hockey team.

Yes Nancy and Gloria and also on our team was Gail Pries, Ann Marchment, Gail Scarlett, Marilyn Brock. I too have that team picture somewhere. :coolpics:

I remember even at the end of playing I still didn't understand what an off-side was. LOL :scratch:

Bob Paul my boyfriend at that time was in the penalty box at one of the out of town games, I think maybe in Erin.

The penalty box was sitting on the ice. I got a penalty and when he opened the door for me I stepped on his frozen foot.
He still hasn't forgiven me for that. I also remember doing my hair up in bobby-pins so that when I took of my helmut my hair would still look good. Only problem was the bobby-pins would come out and bits of hair would protrude through the holes in the helmut. Very attractive, and Bob is still with me after that, imagine. :disbelief:
linda paul

Postby linda paul » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Don

I spoke to brother-in-law and he says the only place hockey was played before the arena was built in 1922 was on the river
behind where the old Co-op was. I think we have pictures in the vault of people boating etc. there also.
linda paul

Postby linda paul » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:46 am

A cousin of mine that lives out of town says she thinks one of the other girls in the back row is Pauline Tyers.
The Tyers family used to own a farm behind Normandy Blvd.
linda paul

Return to Georgetown @ Large