Phantom walk signals

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Phantom walk signals

Postby Barry » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Why is it that some walk signals in Georgetown don't actually work?

I've been in town for over a month, and have been baffled by some of the crossings in town. Specifically, two crossings on Guelph Street.

One is at the Go stop on the Food Basics side of Alcott Drive. If you try to press the button to get a walk signal to cross to the Market side, it won't work. At all. It doesn't matter when you press it or how many times you press it ... it just won't change.

The other is the crossing at the Superstore. Again ... no matter when you press it or how many times you press it, the walk signal doesn't come on. Last week I pressed the button and the light for cars changed -- there were no cars lined up, so it was my button-pushing that changed the light -- but the walk signal stayed on "stop".

And I've noticed that in Georgetown people tend to whip around corners without looking for pedestrians, as if it's their right to make turns in front of pedestrians if the "stop" hand is showing.

It's not just annoying ... It's dangerous.

Okay, this was more of a rant than a question. Someone with the town has to have regard for pedestrians.
--
The poster formerly known as Barry Jowett
Barry

Re: Phantom walk signals

Postby JenG » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:39 pm

I don't think the one by the mall/food basics has EVER worked. I can remember it not working when I was a teenager.

Will you enquire with the town about this?
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby Barry » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:49 pm

JenG wrote:I don't think the one by the mall/food basics has EVER worked. I can remember it not working when I was a teenager.

I think the town has a moral obligation to read this board, and in particular, to read my brilliant posts, but on the off-chance that the town has shirked this moral duty, perhaps I'll work up the energy to actually look up the town and see if I can find some contact information.
--
Barry

Postby Scooter1 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi Barry,
I will contact my two Ward Councillors tomorrow, it is in my ward. Bob Inglis and John Duncan are good men, they will look in to it. For all us that are concerned, you can also go to Dave Kentners website and send him your concerns, he is at http://www.davekentner.com. I know he is a man of action!
Scooter1

Postby JenG » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:36 am

Barry wrote:
JenG wrote:I don't think the one by the mall/food basics has EVER worked. I can remember it not working when I was a teenager.

I think the town has a moral obligation to read this board, and in particular, to read my brilliant posts, but on the off-chance that the town has shirked this moral duty, perhaps I'll work up the energy to actually look up the town and see if I can find some contact information.

Thanks for the chuckle this morning!
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby Scooter1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Barry and other concerned folks,
I got a reply from the Ward 3 Councillor MOYA JOHNSTON she is looking into the Cross Walk situation and we get back to ASAP. I will post at that time to let you know what action is being taken.
Regards,
Don
Scooter1

Postby JenG » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:40 pm

How long is ASAP I wonder?! :popcorn:
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby Scooter1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:02 pm

In the past it is usually within a couple of days!
Scooter1

Postby JenG » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Scooter1 wrote:In the past it is usually within a couple of days!

That's good to know!
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby Barry » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks, Don! I hadn't been here since my last post and didn't realize that the wheels of power had started turning.

It looks as though something has been fixed, because the walk signal at the arena has been working lately. Good work!!! Now I think I'll risk the trip to Superstore to see if it's fixed, too ... I'm out of hot chocolate.
--
Barry

Postby Scooter1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:50 pm

The one up by me is working better as well, maybe the old saying is true, The squeaking wheel gets the oil!
Scooter1

Return to Georgetown @ Large