chapel street reunion on line

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

Postby Cheryl Haynes (Hilts-Lawr » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 am

Our fireplace is made out of the bricks from Chapel Street School
Cheryl Haynes (Hilts-Lawr

Postby Scooter1 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:34 am

:)
Hi Cheryl,
Welcome to the board. That is neat about your fireplace!
Scooter1

Postby Gerry Deboer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi Cheryl,
Wow! Really good to see you on this site! Yup, that would be my sister Jane and her husband Jack who travelled out west just this past summer for a visit. They have a son John who lives out here a bit further west near Smithers in a town called Telkwa.
I've been watching this site waiting for some Chapel St. students and was hoping to see you on it .....and there you are :) I think we were in the same class all the way through Chapel if my memory serves me right. ( except for grade one).
I was back in Georgetown in October '06 for their 50th wedding anniversary. Sure wished I had known you lived just across the street then!
Gerry
Gerry Deboer

Postby linda paul » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Hey Gerry:

Bob and I were just in Wiarton visiting Gail Pries and her husband.
They were saying that you also have a relative on Mallory Beach Road where they are.
Small world eh?

Do you have any memories of Outdoor Pool
Go into that forum, it's fun.

Linda
linda paul

Outdoor Pool

Postby Gerry Deboer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:08 pm

I have some really great memories of the pool in those long hot summers.
But I do have a bad memory when I almost drowned jumping off the board. I had just passed the swimming lessons that morning and thought that I was now ready to swim the deep end of the pool .Well it was so crowded(on that Friday night as always)) that when I surfaced I lost my bearings and had to struggle to keep afloat. I think I went down twice in all the confusion. Luckily one of the life guards saw my predicament and gave me a long pole to hang on to and pulled me out.
That was a close call I'll never forget!
I wish I could tell you who that relative might be on Mallory Beach Rd. I don't remember where Mallory Beach Rd is. Is it near Owen Sound where my oldest brother Dick has a cottage? Dick has since passed away but my sister in law still goes there.
Gerry
Gerry Deboer

Postby Cheryl Haynes (Hilts-Lawr » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi Gerry
I was at their anniversary for a few minutes but didn't stay because I had a cold if I knew you were coming I would have waved from across the street so I didn't give you my cold. My fault I have asked her about you through the years but never thought about asking if you were coming. When I lived in the Glen your sister and I lived 2 doors away from each other I think I have been following her. I have a daughter the same age as Ingrid. Really nice to hear from you. ttus
Cheryl Haynes (Hilts-Lawr

Postby linda paul » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi again Gerry:

Yes I have since found out that it is your sister-in-law on Mallory Beach Road. It is closer to Wiarton, but is near Owen Sound.

Linda
linda paul

Postby Gerry Deboer » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi Linda,
I was able to confirm with a nephew of mine that the Mallory Beach Rd. cottage belongs to my sister in-law. I never did have a chance to get there on any of my trips back to Georgetown and really had no idea of the exact location. But it is indeed a small world.
Have you and Paul ever made a trip out west in recent years?
Gerry Deboer

Postby linda paul » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi Gerry:

Yes if you do get to see your sister-in-law on Mallory Beach Rd. go and see Gail Pries and Keith. They would love to see you. Jim Blair is in that area somewhere and there are a few other Georgetowners around there.

Yes Bob and I went out West about 5 or 6 years ago. We went with Bob's two sisters and their husbands for two weeks. I have never seen such beautiful scenery etc.

Bob's sister Linda's husband is from Calgary. They actually met in William's Lake. We went there to see some of his old friends. A nice thing that happened in William's Lake is that Linda's husband got to see a very good old friend of his that he was told years prior was dead.
How neat is that. We even had supper at their place. Did they have a lot of reminising to do.

Cheryl was really glad to hear from you.
linda paul

Postby Gerry Deboer » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi Linda,
I remember my brother Hank telling me quite some time ago that he had met Paul's sister Linda in Williams Lake. Hank lived there for a few years before moving to Smithers where we lived as well. This was back in the '70's. Do I understand that Linda and her husband now live in Calgary or do they live in Williams Lake? Hank now lives in Warner AB just south of Lethbridge.
Yes , it was really good to hear from Cheryl and I plan to connect with her again soon. I'm not retired like you guys are...so I have to find the time to email. Work seems to get in the way!
I was just thinking this morning that it would be really neat if Chapel St. had a reunion again at some point in the not so distant future. Since there are so many of us in the community that attended it could probably turn into something big. Whenever I did get to make the trip back home I never had the time to look up very many old friends and of course I couldn't expect all of them would still be living there anyway. I did have a short visit with Bill Cunningham , Bill Namink, Dick Braam and another friend Ralph Mulder. Ralph and Peggy came to visit me this past summer. Talk about catching up on old times!
ttul
Gerry
Gerry Deboer

Postby Scooter1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Ho Gerry,
I was working with Dave Cox this evening getting our float for "LIGHT UP THE HILLS" ready for the SANTA CLAUS parade on Saturday, we talked about you and how you and he were good friends well attending SHERIDAN COLLEGE, he sends his best.
Perhaps a CHAPEL STREET SCHOOL REUNION should be my next project, if Linda is up to it.
Don
Scooter1

Postby Gerry Deboer » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi Don,
Please give Dave my best as well. I look forward to seeing the float you've been working on with Dave..... assuming there will be pictures of it on the site.
I think it is a real challenge for anyone to put a reunion together and I know some folks who are very successful at putting it all together. Perhaps we could see what kind of interest there is among the Chapel St. alumni still living in the area via GTOL.
Gerry
Gerry Deboer

Re: chapel street reunion on line

Postby harrylieder » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:39 pm

I know this is quite an old thread, but just thought I would add this........I didn't go to Chapel St school,

I am retired in Hanover now, I do a bit of grass cutting on the side. A lady called me up to cut her grass. when she found out that I was from Georgetown, she said that she used to teach at Chapel St school. She was Mr Henry's wife, Allison Henry....She says she was the first kindergarten teacher there around 1955.....She said that her husband went on to be principal at Wrigglesworth she thinks, but I understand it was Harrison....Remember, this lady is now well into her 80s, so the details may be a bit sketchy. Anyways, she and Mr Henry split and she moved up this way, she bought a farm and she and her new husband have been living there since.......Right now, she has the farm for sale and is moving into a seniors townhouse in Durham.......She and her husband are very nice people and I thought maybe someone would remember her from Chapel St and would like to know she is doing well.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
harrylieder

Postby Jimmer01 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Micheal.........your post from awhile back about wiping out on your bike and getting help.....that was Stuart Everett....my little brother.....we lived at 7 Guelph St and he still drives a cab in town.....My little Sis Laura was married to Bruno for quite a while........nice guy that Bruno......if you see him say hello from Jim Cummins......his Bro in Law from Barrie!!!!!!!
Jimmer01

Postby Jimmer01 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:00 pm

Duffer...........John/Joan/Mike and Collen Cummins are my only Cummins Cousins.........But we are related to the King'.... Right Linda!!!!!!
Jimmer01

Postby linda paul » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Yes Jim that is right.

But it is through the Cummins'

The elder Cummins and my Dad were cousins. So the Cummin's and the King's were related.

On the other side, your Aunt Lorraine was married to my cousin Bill.
linda paul

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Mr. Harold Henry, formerly principal of Chapel Street School, actually attended the 50th anniversary of Harrison School in October 2007.
Phantom Gtowner

Postby Duffers43 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:53 pm

I have been finding it hard to get on the site as I have been really busy. I was interested in the comments about having a reunion of those who attended Chapel St. School. Good idea!! Jerry, I saw Ralph Mulder visited you . Martha, his sister, used to be one of my best friends. I spent many a happy time when I was young, on the farm at the Mulders. Mulders lived in Ospringe when I first met them. They lived next to my grandfather.
I thnk there would be quite a few people who attended Chapel St. School who would like to get together. I was surprised that Mr. Henry was still around.
Somewhere I have my school pictures from the days I attended. I started in 1949 in kindergarten. I am going to try to find them and add them to the photos for the school.
Duffers43

Postby Ruth Macdonald » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:39 pm

I went to Chapel St. School from 1953 and was truly overwhelmed as I had been in a one room schoolhouse...eight grades in a arow of course. And this had two floors! I loved Miss Stull as she took a very shy little girl and made her feel special. She used to draw with me :)

Harold Henry scared the living life out of me.. today he would be in jail the way he hit those boys. I remember Sean Waring especially getting treated really roughly. An odd thing..he ended up a hippy- long hair and sandals ...did you know that?

I also remember Charlene Day being sent home because she had lipstick on in Grade 8....lol...seems funny the way they dress now.
Ruth Macdonald

Postby Scooter1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Duffer and Jerry, a great time for the CHAPEL STREET REUNION would be at HOMECOMING 2013. I would be interested in helping out.
Don
The attendees would meet so many other folks from their past...
Scooter1

Postby X-Man » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I went to Chapel St. School in the 70s for kindergarden, grade 1 and part of grade 2, at which time I switched to Howard Wrigglesworth P.S. My last year at Chapel St. School was also the last year that it was opened. I recall part of the 2nd floor being cordened off where the floor was caving in.
X-Man

Postby linda paul » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:56 pm

I still am so sad that Chapel Street School was torn down. What a piece of history destroyed.

Yes, it would have taken a lot of money to restore it and we all know Georgetown is not good at spending money but what a crying shame.

It could have been made into a museum or something constructive like that.

Every time I drive past where the school was I become very nostalgic and sad.

So many good times there, during and after school hours.

I even met my husband-to-be in Grade Three at that wonderful school.

Oh, the good old days.
linda paul

Postby linda paul » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:08 am

Thought I would bring this subject to the fore-front to see if we can hear from any other Chapel Street School pupils.

It was five years ago we talked and a lot can happen in five years.

Anything new?
linda paul

Postby linda paul » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 am

As they are about to tear down our beloved arena, it brings to mind how upset I also was when they tore down Chapel Street School.

Two historic buildings torn down because it wasn't feasible to restore.

Surely something could have been done to utilize these facilities but it seems Georgetown doesn't have the insight to preserve our history.

It also makes me feel that we, as citizens, should have done something dramatic to try to save these buildings. It is certainly too late now.
linda paul

Previous

Return to Georgetown @ Large