chapel street reunion on line

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

chapel street school

Postby linda paul » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:03 pm

Don, I do know that Mike Broomhead is mayor in Mt Forest.

This is just a cute little story that happened to me at Chapel Street School.
I was always a little boy crazy, I even remember Bill Cunningham and Darlene Walker (Howie
's sister) and I going into St. John's United Church when they were putting an addition on and playing kissing games after school. I was either in Grade one or Kindergarten. Darlene also has died in the last several years. That would make me 5 or 6 yrs. old. When I was in Grade 3 about half way through the school year a new boy came into my class who had just moved to Geo. from Toronto. I thought he was really cute and someone new to pursue. Twelve
years later I married him. Do you believe that, I have known Bob since we were 8 years old.

A few other teachers names I have remembered is Mrs. Borland, Miss Austin, Miss Anderson
Mr Lau
Anyone else have any first love stories from Chapel Street School?
linda paul

Postby linda paul » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Yes Gerry, Bill did have an older brother Paul, he died at a very young age.

Did you know that Bill was Fire Chief in Georgetown until about 8 years ago. He was married to Val Kitchen (who died a couple of years ago) He is now married to Barry Hamilton's sister.

It was Bill that talked Bob into joining the Volunteer Fire Dept. in Geo. which lead to his full-time job with Vaughan.

What did you do for your profession Gerry?
linda paul

Postby Gerry Deboer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:57 pm

Wow ! I didn't know that about Paul Cunningham. Don't recall any mention of Bill having an older brother until now.
I do know that firefighting had been a big part of the Cunningham family as Bill's dad Jack was also a firefighter. I think a Chief as well. And Bill also joined the local Police force as well.
I now have both of those professions in my immediate family. My son is a firefighter in Port Moody (very close to Vancouver in proximity) who married an RCMP officer. Somehow, I feel very secure! :)
I've been a signpainter /graphic artist for the last 35 years operating my own business for most of those years. I'm a product of Sheridan College Animation program when it first got started back in '68 in Brampton later in Oakville. Jobs in that field were very scarce at the time of graduation so I had to change directions and looked to the sign business as an alternative. You might know the name Dave Cox who was also in that animation course with me. He proved to be quite a successful artist . He was quite gifted in that field of film making. I later learned that Sheridan College had a very good reputation for producing animators and there were talent scouts from all over scooping up grads before they even finished their course.
Gerry Deboer

Chapel St

Postby Gerry Deboer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Hey Linda,
Forgot to reply to your question on Chaplel St.' first love stories'. There are probably lots of them but I'm not too sure how many of them will be made public on this site. :wink:
Gerry Deboer

Postby Scooter1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Gerry, I am involved with Dave Cox on a project right now, LIGHT UP THE HILLS, yes Dave is very gifted. I always wondered why the guys at Chapel Street School never fought, you were too busy kissing all the girls. LOL
Scooter1

Chapel Street School reunion

Postby Duffers43 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Gerry, are you Hank's brother? I went to school with him.
Duffers43

Chapel Street School reunion online

Postby Duffers43 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi Mary Jane
Janette and Judy Stamp were in my class. It was fun telling them apart. I heard somewhere thet Judy had been killed in an accident, but I am not sure it was true. Don,did Janice Chaplin live near you? I remember Jackie and Bev Morrow. They had a bke accident at the culvert and Elmer had to come down from the flagpole. They wer not badly injured. Karen Norton lived in your area too, Don, and Lois Niven lived by the culvert.I am in touch with her. She lives in Ayr. Her husband just underwent sextuple bypass. It's a lesson to take care of ourselves and he seemed fit. Bruce, her brother lives in Tennessee, I think. Wendy Davidson lived in that area too. I lived on Victoria Street and on Main Street while in high school. I lived on Church Street through elementary school. I am in touch with Brenda Bell in Tuscon. She and I went through Chapel together. Ann Lorraine Noble lived down th eatreet from me on Church Street, as did Pat Scott. Pat Sykes lived around the corner. The MacFarlanes lived on Market Street next to the Benhams and McClintock's. Loved stopping at Joe's Tuck Shop on the way to school getting sponge toffee for recess. I bet many did the same thing.
Duffers43

Postby linda paul » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:57 pm

Don

I think the LOL in your Message to Gerry must mean Lots of Love!!!!!!
linda paul

Postby Gerry Deboer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi Duffers,
Yup, Hank is my older brother by 7 years. He now lives in a small town in Alberta called Warner. He moved out west to B.C. in the mid 70's . Duffers, I don't know your real name. It would be difficult to let him know that I met you on GTOL.
And to Don..... could you say hi to Dave for me the next time you see him. I used to drive him to Sheridan every day. He'd be up all night working on a project and then almost fall asleep on the way to school. He was a very dedicated guy when it came to the projects he was working on.
And I'm not going to get into the 'first love ' issue either Don. :)
Gerry
Gerry Deboer

Postby Scooter1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi Gerry,
Just got email from Roger Gadd, he was telling me about driving to Prince George to have coffeee with you a few years back, he may drop by the site. I helped Hank when he had the moving business years ago, I don't knew if I was alot of help, we had some laughs.
Don
Scooter1

Postby u-pickedcotton » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:15 am

Re Dave Cox...he produced the DVD for Homecoming 2007....great guy.

Neil
u-pickedcotton

Chapel Street School reunion online

Postby Duffers43 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:40 am

Hi Gerry
My name is Joan Craig. It's nice to know where paople have gone.
Duffers43

Postby linda paul » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 am

I just remembered a traumatic thing that happened to me at Chapel Street School

We had to write a speech. I'm sure everyone remembers that. We were to use our own words. My speech was on Conservation, imagine all those years ago I wrote about something so prevalent today. Anyway, I wrote my speech word for word from the encyclopedia(don't know how to spell it) that you used to get from Loblaws each week.

I think because I always had a loud, clear voice I won the Da** contest much to my chagrin.
My cousin Dennis Wright wanted to win so bad and I wished he had of. I had to go around to all the classes and say my speech (how embarrassing). Then to make matters even worse I had to go to Wrigglesworth School where all the students who won in their own school competed. I didn't win but was so happy when it was all over.

Because I won the speech contest I then automatically became valedictorian for the Grade 8 graduating class. That part was fun. We went to the Legion for the party.

What neat memories.
linda paul

chapel street

Postby deeds30 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:55 am

I know that my mom, Sheryl Puckering (Haynes) went to Chapel St., but I think that uncle Dave went to Wrigglesworth, or he was transfered part way though.

Wendy Davidson (Switzer) has moved to Owen Sound area, but her and mom are still very good friends, and she comes to town a few times a year.

The other funny thing is that Cheryl Lawr and my mom were good friends at Chapel St....and now they are both Cheryl and Sheryl Haynes.
deeds30

Postby Ruth Macdonald » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi Linda.. good subject.

I moved to Georgetown in 1952 and started in Miss Stull's class. God Bless that woman! She took a very shy little girl and made me feel so confident .. she was the one who encouraged me to get interested in art.

Miss Campbell had a favourite speech "Don't be a dog in a manger." Had no idea what it meant.

Mr. Henry is Grade 8 had a vicious temper and I think I was nervous all that year in his class. He took a boy named Sean Waring and really roughed him up in class..couldn't do that today! You always knew to stop when you saw his neck turning red! But having said that, I think he was a good teacher. I remember Charlene Day being sent home because she had lipstick on. LOL
Ruth Macdonald

Postby stan lorusso » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 am

Hi Don and Linda. I went to Chaple st and as did all my brothers and sisters as well as my father. I had 5 teachers that my father had. Our grade 8 class had a reunion 2 years ago and it was put on by Anne Hyde Lois Elliot and Laurie Golden. We had approx 30 from our class there and I was happy we had it before 1 of our classmates past away a few months later, Guy Hennessy.
stan lorusso

Postby stan lorusso » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:01 am

deeds I hung around with Dave when he went to chaple we used to play ball in vacant lot next to his house or @ John st diamond, also we used to play hockey in daves basement, and played releaval in john st bush at bottom of john st hill by mountainview
stan lorusso

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:54 pm

I remember that Gary Robertson was one of my friends when we were in grade one. I later went to Wrigglesworth PS and he went to another school. I'd forgotten about that. I later knew Gary in high school and played hockey with him as an adult. It's amazing what you remember when you look way back.

If I pull out the old school photos, I'd likely be amazed at the faces I'd see. This walk down memory lane is neat.
Michael

Postby Gloria Jones » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:37 pm

I was only at Chapel for Grade 5, 6 and part of 7. My mother also went there and we both had Mrs. Evans.
Miss Stull was my Grade 5 teacher, Mrs. Evans for Grade 6 and Mr. Allen for Grade 7. The school was so full our Grade 6 class was in the Firehall (now Ambulance). Linda as far as I know Mrs. Evans is still alive and living in the Mountainview Residences.
At the beginning of Grade 7 we went to school in shifts as Park School was not completed until Nov. and there were too many students to accommodate in one class. Even though we lived VERY close to Chappel we were literally on the wrong side of Main Street and had to go to Park when it finally opened. That really ticked me, but I grew to love Park School and met and made a lot of new friends there that had been transferred from Wrigglesworth.
Mrs. Evans was into music big time so there was always lots of that in her class which I enjoyed. I don't remember the basement at all. Someone asked about crushes and I had a big one on Brad Livingstone. I think he is in B.C. now.
Before the school closed (but after demolition) my Mom and some of my siblings went and took bricks, coat hooks and I think they may have got an old window also. I wasn't too interested at the time, but that may because I only went for a couple of years.
Gerry, I remember singing over the loud speakers at St. John's also. It was really nice when other schools took their turn because you could hear them if you were Christmas shopping on Main St. (which most of us did back then).
That's about all I can think of for now. Thanks everyone for sharing your memories.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby linda paul » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Gloria:

I too remember singing over the loud speaker. That was the greatest. That is one of my favourite memories of Xmas.

You and I must have the same taste in boys. I also thought Brad was O.K. and then of course there was Keith P.

I am trying to remember just how Chapel Street School was designed. I know there was stairs at both ends. The kindergarten class was at the right looking at the school (where you got the warm, creamy milk, yuck). I remember the girls washroom was on the right near the kindergarten class. Where the heck was the boys washroom, I don't remember. Did it have one of those round things to wash your hands in the middle of the room? The principals office was on the left at the back.

Gail Pries just reminded me today about doing these fancy moves with hoola hoops in Mr. Lau's class. How embarrassing was that for those that remember?

I also just remembered Mr. Harrison in music class going around to everyone and putting his ear up to the students mouth to hear if they could sing and blowing the chords in that round thing. I forget what it is named.

Did the boys and girls have to enter at different places, I forget.

And then there was the big Grade Eight trip to Niagara Falls. Falls way short of what the kids are doing today.
linda paul

Postby Gloria Jones » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:08 am

Hey Linda: Have you heard from Keith lately? He used to be on the site occasionally, but hasn't been for quite a while. Hope he is ok.

Funny thing both Keith and Brad have gone as far West as they can on this continent :lol: :lol: . Hope it wasn't because they were trying to get away from me :wink: .
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby linda paul » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:22 pm

HI Gloria:

Yes I have heard from Keith since I joined GTOL.
I had entered a message on the Guest Forum and he e-mailed me.

He now lives in Lousville, Kentucky.

He is doing well, but apparently has had angioplasty surgery awhile back.

He says he is looking after himself better now and enjoys his two grandchildren.

At least he is getting closer to good ol' Georgetown so I don't think it was you!!!!!
linda paul

Postby Scooter1 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:25 am

Hi Chapel Street Students, our latest member says he attended Chapel, does anyone remember Dave Howard? If so check out the members list to either email him or PM him.
Scooter1

Chapel Street School

Postby Cheryl Haynes (Hilts-Lawr » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:48 am

Hi Linda and Chapel Street School people
I finally did it I am on line thanks to Linda
Hi Gerry I live across the road from your sister on McIntyre
Cheryl
Cheryl Haynes (Hilts-Lawr

Postby linda paul » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:19 am

Welcome Cheryl (who are you again Ha. Ha.)

You will have lots of fun on this site.

I for one know you have lots and lots of interesting stories.

Tell us about your Chapel Street School experiences.
linda paul

PreviousNext

Return to Georgetown @ Large