chapel street reunion on line

This board is designed to post items and messages that are GEORGETOWN related, hopefully keeping folks up todate with what's happening in GEORGETOWN! PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE. Post away folks!. .

Moderator: Petitbois

chapel street reunion on line

Postby linda paul » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Don, I think that's a great idea.

All you Chapel Street students out there, let's hear from you.

How do you feel about the old school being torn down?

Who was your best friend, best teacher, best subject?

Do you think enough was done to save Chapel Street School?

Any topic about the school you wish, lets hear from you!!!
linda paul

Postby JenG » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:43 pm

Is the original building of the school still around?
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Chapel Street School

Postby Duffers43 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:48 pm

I attended Chapel Street School from 1949 to 1956. I had 2 favourite teachers- Mrs. Wrigglesworth and Mr. Henry, but I liked most of my teachers as well. I always thought Mrs. Wrigglesworth was ahead of her time in teaching, when I look back. I found her lessons interesting and there were hands on activities. Mr. Henry was the reason I became a teacher as he had me cover classes when I was in grade 8, and stimulated my interest in teaching. Mrs Wrigglesworth was also my inspiration. I was sorry the school was torn down. I still have the Herald from that time.I attended the reunion before it happened. I loved the school. Winter was a blast with the sliding on the hills at the back. We went down the hills on pieces of cardboard. The slides got icy with the number of people who slid. Sometimes you could use a toboggan or sleigh to so down. Mrs. Evans taught us to dance in the winter since we couldn't go out for P.E. I learned how to sing from Mr. Harrison. He tutored me for festivals. I used a lot of what he taught me, when I taught music in the classrooms.
I have retired and live in Wasaga Beach now- the place I loved to visit in summer.
Duffers43

Postby Scooter1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:39 pm

Chapel Street People, check the Photo Gallery for some old pictures of teachers, classes and an old pivture of the school 1913, start here!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gtol_vault/sets/72157623748252135/
Scooter1

Postby BonnieC » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks Don...Maybe we can get some more names to go with those pics. And maybe more ppl out there have some other class photos we can add to the album!!!
HINT HINT!!!
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

chapel street school

Postby linda paul » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:36 pm

I think all of those "old school" teachers are all passed away now.

I think Mrs. Evans just died a little while ago if I am not mistaken.

There was also Miss Lindsay and Miss Campbell. Boy they were strict weren't they?

I also attented the reunion before the school was torn down. My sister Elaine and I had our pictures taken for local paper for having four generations attend the school. I remember I was so embarassed because I was Nine months pregnant with my first child and looked like a beached whale and my sister was missing teeth waiting to get dentures. What a beautiful picture. Did you get a school brick?

I was also tutored by Mr. Harrison for festivals. The ones in Guelph right? I never won anything did you?

I think my favourite teacher was Miss Wells who is now Mrs. Julian Reed. She was brand new and probably about 19 years old when I had her.

Do you remember going into the spooky basement for gym?

Another memory I have is having to drink the milk in Kindergarten that had been sitting outside all morning with cream on the top. I still can't drink milk today because of that.

I really hate that the school is gone.
linda paul

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:03 am

I went to Chapel Street School for kindergarden, grade 1 and part of grade 2. I finished grade 2 at Wrigglesworth and that same year was the last year for Chapel Street. I remember that we could not walk across part of the floor on the second floor. It was cordoned off. I guess the building was eventually condemned.

I remember the basement had a dirt floor. I remember playing marbles for the first time. I remember the teachers taking the classes out back to play a huge game of tag. My grade 1 teacher was Mrs. Ferguson. I think my kindergarden teacher was Mrs. Bye. I think my second grade teacher was Mrs. Law for the short time I had her.

I knew that school even before I attended. My grandparents lived in a house right across the street. The house later caught fire. Also, I lived on Ewing Street and I would take my friend's bike and drive to the school where we had races around the school. One time, I crashed and was scrapped up real bad. My grandparents had moved by then. My uncle Mike had a friend that lived at the corner on Guelph Street. His friend took me and patched me up. That was nice of him. Forgive me, but I forget his name. He drives cab in town now. His sister was once married to my childhood friend Bruno Schuetz.

I remember the monkey bars and how the custodian would through buckets of water on the hill in the winter so we could slide real fast. That all stopped after some kid crashed into a tree and hurt himself...actually I think it was a girl. I remember getting a mouthful of swing when I wasn't looking. All the teacher did was yell at me. I remember Corrigan (forget his first name) convinced naive me to skip class by not returning after recess. We were caught when he went looking into the windows. He got in trouble more than I did. It was his first incident. It was mine.

Houses are there now. Does this somehow show my age?
Michael

chapel street school

Postby linda paul » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:46 am

Hi Michael:

Were your grandparents "the Kings" by any chance. The story of the house being across the road and the fire are very familiar to me.

If they were then you and I are related.

Let me know.

Linda Paul (King)
linda paul

Postby Scooter1 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:31 pm

I will throw some names out of some of my cousins that I know attended Chapel, Elaine, Kent, Paul, Helen, Glenn and Janet Robinson, Dave & Judy Sheppard I believe before they moved to Tyers Ave (now Delrex Blvd) Debbie Norton, Lynn Wylie. Does anyone know the dates that Wrigglesworth opened,(because everyone went to Chapel before that I think) was it the second public school in town? Where did the school boundries divide, early on I know all Swanic Subdivion
(Ewing, Elizabeth, Temple etc.) went there, most of my side of the tracks attended, the divide seemed to be Victoia Street. Some names that come to mind are Rick Hue, Jeanette Riggs, Andrea Chaplin, Rick Chaplin, Bob Jepson, Dan Engleby, Bill Engleby, Kent Korzack, Max Korzack, Billy Chard, Jim Henderson, Al, Jim & John Blair, Henry, Frank & Kathy King and so many more.
Scooter1

Postby linda paul » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi Don"

I think the boundary was the old John Street West (now Mill) the old arena street.

Chapel Street School was full one year and I had to go to Wrigglesworth for Grade 4.

I hated it. Being away from a lot of my friends.

Yes I think Wrigglesworth was the second school.

I just saw my Grade Nine picture in Photo gallery and I had forgotten your brother Bruce was in my class.
linda paul

Chapel Street School reunion

Postby Duffers43 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi Linda
I was in your sister's class through most of my Chapel Street days. She sure was a giggler. Miss Campbell and Miss Stull were very strict as were Miss Hulme and Miss Lindsay. I did go to Guelph Kiwanis Festival and won once. I also went to Milton for the music festival there and won 2 medals for singing. It brings memories back.
By the way I was talking to Jim Potts yesterday on the phone. Anyone remember him?
Joan Craig
Duffers43

Postby mjmward » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:37 pm

I sure do he was a part of my growing up. He hung around with my brother for quite awhile, I used to get a big laugh out of the two of them in Jims Volkswagon. Both over 6 ft. it was like they would roll out of it. Next time you talk to him please say hello.I am Mary Jane Ward, my brother is Paul.
mjmward

Chapel Street School

Postby Duffers43 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:44 pm

I just went into the vault and saw my grade 8 graduating class. Mr. Henry submitted the photo. I am sitting in frony of him. The choir had had their photo taken that day also, and that's why you see so many tunics. I have this photo and the choir one. I also have my class photos and report cards right through high school. Strange what people keep, isn't it?
Duffers43

chapel street school

Postby linda paul » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi Joan:

Wow it sure is great seeing all these familiar names.

Yes Elaine was quite the giggler. She got herself in a lot of trouble.

I am remembering also what good friends are mother's were. I presume your Mom has passed although I don't know for sure.

How did you feel when Chapel Street School was torn down?

Was there any sort of rebellion on the public's part to save it. I don't think there was.
What a shame.

Nice hearing from you.

Hi again to Mary Jane as well. We sure had some good laughs in our day didn't we?
linda paul

Postby mjmward » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi Guys

I did not go to Chapel,but I will throw some names out. Gene Roshier, Rick Barber, Paul Stamp also maybe Jeanette and Judy maybe Donna. Wayne King,Donnie Mc Farlane. I am not sure when Park School entered the scene. How about Pat Hyde, Dianne Golden, Heather Hayes maybe Pete and Sally.
Then what about John and Joan and Mike Cummings, Rod(Butch) Hyde, Judy Mc Cumber. The Morrows and Mc Nivens ...............Wayne and Diane Reid......I am getting tired..............as I think of people I will throw out there names it usually sparks someones memory.
mjmward

Chapel St. Reunion

Postby BonnieC » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:55 pm

I went to Howard Wrigglesworth in sept, of 1954 for Grade 8 and we were the first grade 8 at that school.Would have rather finished up at chapel St.but that was not to be.We had Mr. Kinrade as our teacher as he was the principal then[he was strict] i have lots of good memories of Chapel St.[went there from grade 2 til grade7]My grandpa used to help Mr. Warren--the caretaker---I often ate lunch with him in the basement.[wasnt so scary then] Judy [Spence] Hayes
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Re: chapel street school

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:38 pm

linda paul wrote:Hi Michael:

Were your grandparents "the Kings" by any chance. The story of the house being across the road and the fire are very familiar to me.

If they were then you and I are related.

Let me know.

Linda Paul (King)

Hi Linda,

No. They were not the Kings, but I know that one or two of my aunts were friends of the Kings. The last name of my grandparents is Labrie. I know that my one aunt Aline (Lou Lou) was for sure friends with one of the Kings. My grandparents moved into that house on Ryan Road right at the top of the hill of Morris Street. I believe it was the lone house on the north side of Morris while the rest of Ryan houses were to the south side of Morris. My grandmother's brother, Frank Kerr, first lived in that house and gave it up for my grandparents, when they arrived from northern Quebec, because they had a big family (7 girls, 1 boy) and needed a place. I know Frank has a daughter named Delores.

That would be so great if there is some connection. That's what this web forum is all about I suppose.

Below is a picture of my father and mother (when they were courting) with my grandmother standing beside Chapel Street School.

My mother, Dianne (16) stands beside my father Bill and my grandmother Patricia.
Michael

Chapel Street reunion

Postby Duffers43 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes, Linda, my mom and yours were good friends. I spent some good times at your house. My mom died in 1993.
I was sad when to school was torn down. I don't think a lot was done to save it. I guess it was just too old. I used to love the smell of the school when it opened up in September. Everything was so shiny and the stairs gleamed with the new varnish. Do you remember the rule - no makeup? Some girls who were older always had to go wash their faces. We weren't allowed to wear slacks or jeans. It sure was cold to wear those skirts. I remember when Miss Stull taught art in the firehall, as one of the rooms there became a classroom. I guess we got overcrowded. I don't remember when Wrigglesworth School opened so that may be why.
Mr. Warren was the crossing guard at Hwy. 7. I wonder how many remember him.
Duffers43

Re: Chapel Street School

Postby Al Darby » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:53 pm

Duffers43 wrote:I attebded Chapel Street School from 1949 to 1956.
[...]

You started the year after I left.

As best I can remember my teachers were:-

1 - Miss Hulme
2 - Miss Lindsay
3 - Miss Scott
4 - Miss Harrison
5 - Miss Langan
6 - Miss Stull
7 - Mr Stevenson
8 - Mr Howard Wrigglesworth - Principal

I don't remember a whole lot about school, but here goes anyway.

Got the ruler in Grade 1, from Miss Hulme for having dirty nails. I still gave her a string of beads I’d made at Sunday School, for Christmas.

Got the strap in Grade 2, from Miss Lindsay can't remember why.

Ditto Grade 3, from Miss Scott. A miscarriage of justice!

Ditto Grade 4, from Miss Harrison reason also unknown.

Miss Langan in Grade 5, fortunately for me, didn't believe in the strap, so I got to stand in the hall a lot and visit the Principal (who did believe in the strap .. ouch!!). I think my biggest sin in Grade 5 was buying Bill Higgin's chemistry set and proceeding to mix up strange smells in class.

I was going really well in Grade 6, when one day Miss Stull mistook an innocent gesture for thumbing my nose at her (to this day I still protest my innocence). This kept my record intact, but boy could she hit. Miss Stull was a local product and as such was a very large and strong farm girl.

In spite of the fact that she unjustly punished me, we all were very sorry for her when her Mother died and her grief spilled over to the class-room.

It was in Grade 6 that I heard my first foreign accent (well almost). Jim Beckett was the son of a Scots family that migrated to Canada and he joined our class. Jim was very shy and would barely speak to anyone, but when he did it was amazing to hear. He got over his shyness when he discovered hockey and became somewhat of an enforcer.

Yep, you guessed it got the strap in Grade 7 too, and I was the Teacher's pet this year, this time for playing hooky.

Grade 8 was traumatic for me as it was then my eyes went really bad, almost overnight I became severely myopic (near-sighted). My inability to read properly got me into trouble for not doing my homework, which resulted in my getting the strap several times.

I remember playing tag in the front schoolyard and sliding down the ice in winter, either on a piece of cardboard or my pants, whichever.

Always felt sorry for John Doherty, he lived right next to the school and that made it really tough for him to play hooky.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Chapel Street School

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 am

I'm assuming it wasn't always known as "Chapel Street School" but rather Georgetown Public School until Howard Wrigglesworth School opened in the 1950's. I didn't have the pleasure of attending Chapel but it sounds like it was a very special place. I knew lots of kids who went to school there and remember names like Mr. Stein and Miss Stull. (Guess we should call her Ms. Stull now, eh?) Mr. Henry, incidently, left Chapel to becaome the first principal at Harrison Public School in 1957. Someone, Michael I think, mentioned Ryan Road. When I came to town Ryan Road was known as Chapel Street West and Chapel Street was known as Chapel Street East. They did a lot of name changing of streets around that area, probably in the late 1960's.

There's a really great old thread on here a few short years back where Chapel Street School was discussed and I think somebody said the school was demolished in 1977 although it had been vacant for a couple of years before that. Anyway, keep posting. This is turning into a good one!
Phantom Gtowner

Chapel Street School

Postby linda paul » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:59 am

A few more names I remember from thinking about who lived in the area are:

Bill Cunningham and Jill and their older brother
Roger Smith
Judy and Bob McCumber
Kent Robinson
Paul Robinson
Elaine Robinson
Glen Robinson
Christine Tost and her brother
Glen and Mike Broomhead
Lynda, Karen & Susan Lee
Bill Andersen
Valerie Kitchen
Cheryl, Al,Steve, Graig Lawr
Mike Cummins & Joan
Ann and Murray Marchment
Betty, Bob and Art McGuigan
Marilyn and Donna Brock
Larry and Dennis Stief
The Denny girls
Mike Ryall
Tony Giles
Doug, Ann and their brother Harley
Frank,Christine, Janice etc Andersen
Terry Kennedy and his brother
Bonnie Saunders
Brian and Lynda VanWyck
Elaine Barker
Sharon McPherson
Pauline &Cheryl Armitage
John Reece
Ernie Thompson
John& Linda Stopper
Gary Armstrong
Gillian&Neil Swann
The Quanberry boys and Ann Marie
All the Henderson from Hewson Cres.

Boy the names just keep on coming.

If you have any news on any of these people or people mentionned in other messages let us know.

I was sad to read recently that Marilyn Brock (Moneypenny) had died. We were great friends when she lived on my street. After school we totally lost touch.
Also Brian VanWyck another good friend in school days passed away a few years ago.

I barely remember Mr. Warren but it has been mentionned that he was the custodian and the crossing guard, is that correct?
linda paul

Postby Scooter1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:44 pm

:)
Linda, sounds like you and I were doing the same, recalling the old neighbourhood. Here is some info on a few of the folks you mentioned. John Reece lost a leg when he was in the States, has moved back to Guelph and lives with his niece, I see Jack & Rick Quanbury often, Rick, John & Al Blair and Randy Perkins have spots at Hay Bay in Napannee, same place as my cousin Bob and Randy Crawford, Gary Armstrong is living in the west, re-married with a two year old son, seen him at Homecoming, Bonnie Bruton (Saunders) sits on the LIGHT UP THE HILLS committee with me and also was part of the HOMECOMING committee that were CITIZENS OF THE YEAR 2007. Cheryl Lane (Armitage married Ron Lane, seen them at HoOMECOMING, they look great. Frank Anderson and Linda own a house on Normandy Blvd. seen him and his brother Danny at the RANDOM CAR CLUB REUNION. Mike Broomhead is up ARTHUR way, he is mamager at ARTHUR DODGE I believe.
Some other cousins that would have gone to Chapel Street, Sheryl & Dave Puckering, Bob Simpson, Ross, Terry & Pauline Norton. Some people off VICTORIA STREET, Sharon, George and Bob Service, Claire Bydavatte, Donnie, George, John and Ken Butler, Jack, Larry, Linda & Bonnie Saunders, Bill Montgomery, Judy Frank, The Bastedos, The Humes, The Morrows, Lorne & Norm Thompson, Penny, Carol, Bobby & Dougie Wilson, Jackie Louth, The Lorussos, Donnie and his brothers. More as I will keep the thinking cap on and post later!
Scooter1

Postby Scooter1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:47 pm

Just heard from Bill Namink:

Yes I attended Chapel Street school. My family imigrated from Holland in 1956 and and in Sept of 1956 I had to take grade 1 over again. That was in the Peacock Country School north of Ballandafad. In Sept 1957, I started grade 2 at Chapel Street. Some of the teachers I remeber where, Mrs Swan( not sure), Grade 5, Mr. Wright, Grade 6, Mrs Evans Grade 7 and Mr Stein, Grade 8.

Bill N.
Scooter1

Chapel Street School reunion online

Postby Duffers43 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:58 pm

I remember many of those names on your list. I babysat the Stief boys. John Cummins was Joan's brother and is /was a member of parliament from B.C. Did you go to school with any of the Chamberlain's- Janet, Blake or John? The oldest Henderson lives in Wasaga Beach near me. I guess that's Roy.
I had miss Stull for grade 6 and Miss Campbell for grade 7. I skipped grade 5. Dar Tost was in my class and he got in big trouble for something he wrote in my notebook when he was marking it. Pat Sykes sat behind me in Miss Stull's class. We had to watch our talking. Miss Stull like to give verses of the Bible as a punishment. Pity the one that got Psalm 121. Miss Eason was my grade 3 teacher and a great lady as well. Ah, memories!!
Duffers43

Chapel St . School

Postby Gerry Deboer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:58 pm

My memory takes me back to Mr Ken Harrison the music teacher in grade 8. We were asked to audition for the school Christmas choir that performed over the PA system at the United Church during the few weeks before Christmas. Some of the guys in the class didn't want to participate so they would sing off key and hoped not be chosen. However, Ken knew the students' singing abilities quite well and proceeded to step on the toes of those who tried to cop out of the choir. His method proved successful in most cases. I'm glad I enjoyed singing then! :)
By the way Linda, did Bill and Jill Cunningham have an older brother? Bill and I walked to high school together as we both lived on Prince Charles in those years. I just don't remember another sibbling in that family.
It looks like something big might have started seeing the response and replys coming in over the last few days. It' s great to see so many names that are familiar from those days gone by.
Gerry Deboer

Next

Return to Georgetown @ Large