To The Great Members of GTOL!

Read Only

To The Great Members of GTOL!

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:34 am

:?
Well folks, the new Forum will not be set up, there are more that have said it might be OK, but they would not be involved, in fact only one person said to add their name, but was quite sure they would never go there. So it is not happening. For the first time in over 7 years since the site began, I have banned an active member, I hope it will never have to happen again. I will be changing the name of the ANYTHING FORUM and what will be considered acceptable content, let's get back to the good times and fun we had for many years.
Regards,
Don
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lisa Copland » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:56 am

I'm sorry Don, I can't agree with your decision. It really makes me feel as though I am being treated like a child. I am an adult and I can choose what to read and what to comment on.

There is no doubt that Michael likes to be contentious. He likes to stir the pot. Sometimes I'm in the mood for it and sometimes I'm not. When I am, I read it. When I'm not I don't. To those of you who complained about Michael, I say be an adult. Make a choice about what you read.

I still feel that a political thread could have been set up for Mike and the others who entered into the debate. I didn't even like the idea that it would be private. Again, I am a grown up. I will go where I want to and avoid the threads that hold no interest for me or that I might find upsetting. Even better, if I disagree with a viewpoint strongly enough I will state my own case. Honest, open discussion handled respectfully should never be a problem. It's unfortunate that some name calling got started in this case but I still feel that a wait and see approach would have resulted in apology and amends.

I will miss Mike and I really think this decision should be reconsidered. I think everyone involved needs to take a deep breath, a step back and then let bygones be bygones. It's the mature thing to do.
Lisa Copland

Postby Aligreen » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:13 pm

I am an adult also and have the right to choose what I read and what I don't.
Michael did on occasion tend to get a little carried away but he is passionate in his beliefs and opinions. And they are his beliefs and his opinions not that of GTOL. I assumed that anyone was free to agree or dispute any thread on this site and it's a shame that an active member must be banned for voicing an opinion.
I myself am not interested in the political and/or religious comments and find those topics too deep a subject. So on the most part tend to quickly scan over those posts or ignore them completely. It's my choice.
We are all human, and when a situation builds and gets tense, we tend to stand at the wayside and rubberneck without comment or opinion, just gawk.
I feel an apology would have been forthcoming.

Alison
Last edited by Aligreen on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aligreen

Well...

Postby colbuki » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm afraid I missed a lot of the kafffufle that caused this situation as by the time I got to read it (perhaps thankfully?) a lot of editing had obviously already been done. I don't know what remarks were there, and don't care to, and also am not privy to any PM's or emails but expect there must have been quite a few zingers out there from the reactions. There are some pretty strong personalities involved here and so I'm sure I can imagine how it went.

That said personally I'm disappointed to see the banning of an active member. I do agree that Mike did go over the top on some of his comments and came across very adversarial at times. On the other hand he was so active and for a while there it was great to see so much activity. It's a shame that we couldn't harness that posting capability for the entertainment, discussion and social interaction.

Perhaps had some of the old banter and discussions been going on it all the "controversial" posts wouldn't have been the focal of GTOL when for a while that made them stick out even more. I can see how it might have driven some folks into lurk status if that was the only posting happening and you're not interested but frankly there were a lot of people who were already lurking when all this started. We can't sit here and blame Mike and these posts for turning everyone into lurkers. It's been very quiet here since the last time we had an adversarial situation and has never returned to the GTOL I grew so fond of.

We all "own" a piece of keeping the content what we need or are looking for. Ignore posts you don't care to read and post your own for topics that you'd like to talk about. It's much like if you don't vote you don't get to complain about the government... if you don't post then as far as I'm concerned you don't get to complain about those who do. (myself included)

It feels like a long time since we've had the fun we used to have and I'm hoping we get back there someday soon, I miss the gang.
colbuki

Postby u-pickedcotton » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:08 pm

I agree with the ladies...of course LOL...but I do.

Read what you want and ignore what you don't want.

Debate if you can take the heat....otherwise...

Neil
u-pickedcotton

Re: Well...

Postby Mark Llew » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:44 am

colbuki wrote:We can't sit here and blame Mike and these posts for turning everyone into lurkers. It's been very quiet here since the last time we had an adversarial situation and has never returned to the GTOL I grew so fond of...

It feels like a long time since we've had the fun we used to have and I'm hoping we get back there someday soon, I miss the gang.

I second this.

Mark
Mark Llew

Re: Well...

Postby Al Darby » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:25 pm

[Exiting Lurk Mode]

I've "rejoined" the group solely to add my voice to the discussion over the "X" man being banned and up front I'll be honest enough to state that I agitated to have him moderate his (intellectually ponderous and overwhelming) posts on moral and social issues.

To me (and many others), this forum is the 'Village Well' where folks gather to catch up with old friends and (hopefully) make new ones, not a place where people come to get involved in contentious social issues, however important they may be.

There is a plethora of newsgroups and forums dedicated to such discussions, we don't need to turn this one into another one and certainly that's NOT what Don intended all those many years ago, when he and Colin Ming gave life to this forum.

Like others, I too feel it's sad that the "X" man's been "banned", but HE chose that option, rather than ameliorate his posting style.

From what I can see, Don approached him (privately) asking him to "dial back" the tenor and rhetoric, or face banning. In true Patrick Henry style, ("Give me liberty, or give me death") he made public Don's request, opted for martyrdom and the high road .. "I will not be bullied".

Whatever my personal differences with Don may be, I see him (Don) as well intentioned and non confrontational. The "X" man left him no choice.

I doubt anyone would not welcome the "X" man back, but not his preachings. I could give you chapter and verse on the social inequities that prevailed when I grew up in Georgetown, but I choose not to dwell on them. I'd rather remember, with nostalgia, a gentler time, in a town that I've called home from my earliest days.
colbuki wrote:We all "own" a piece of keeping the content what we need or are looking for.
[...]

[Resuming Lurk Mode]
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Gloria Jones » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:03 pm

Hey Al: Great to hear from you again. Please don't go back to Lurk Mode.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby Marg Vansickler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Hey Folks... I have been around for many years in both home bases and I find I am more of a lerker....perhaps out of the loop, don't know a lot of the younger crowd and realy haven't felt the need or want to reply.
I also don't need or want to get in the middle of a rant!
Miss the old gang you included Al....
Cheers Margaret
Marg Vansickler

Return to Archives - Georgetown @ Large