Wrestling

Read Only - Includes messages from both "The Anything Forum" and "The Good Morning Forum".

Wrestling

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:14 pm

I am coaching wrestling again. I have a small squad of mostly rookies. We've been to two tournaments with the best performance being a fourth place by one of the girls. I'm bringing four boys to a rookie tournament next Wednesday. It should be fun.
Michael

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Michael this is about an interesting man and a GTOL member, CLIVE LLEWELLYN, Mark's younger brother!

http://www.bdbma.com/takedowns_instructors.htm

Postby BonnieC » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:16 pm

Has anyone nominated him for our local sports hall of fame??? I think he would be a great addition to it!!!!!
BonnieC
Forum Moderator

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi Bonnie,
I thought the actual nomination form was way too much, but I did submit his name along with several others, with web pages to give their info, such people as Marg Bratkin, Master Five Pin Bowler, inducted in to the Ontario Bowling Hall of Fame, Bob Goldham, Poul Popiel, Brian Hayward, Mike Forbes, NHL, Jim Lindsay-Dragracing, Merv Marshall-Lacrosse, Bryan Lewis, the 1968 All Ontario Junior 'C' Champs, there was no national championship, they were are first Junior Championship team, the 1962-63 Midgets that had no less then 7 players drafted by the NHL when it was only six teams and Georgetown's population was around 5,000. The Hardy Cup Raider team
It would be nice if they would contact me back to say they even received them and if they would be considered in the form I sent them.

Postby Gloria Jones » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:56 am

There is no doubt an abundance of names that will go into our Sports Hall of Fame over time. It's going to take some time to catch up. Don, I agree that the form is somewhat complicated and in my opinion, information is duplicated, but maybe a friend could help you seeing as you have all the information for them from the web.
Anyone interested in nominating someone for 2008, the nominations are now open.
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:51 am

We have a rookie tournament this Wednesday. I'm bringing only four boys this time. Kids are blowing off practice. I purged the team after the first couple of weeks for that same reason. Sheesh. They want to avoid conditioning training, but then they die on the mat of exhaustion and embarrass themselves. I have my heart set on the few good ones though. I enjoy coaching. I wonder if Mr. Cotton misses it.

EDIT: Actually, Clive and I were PMing last summer.
Michael

Postby u-pickedcotton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Mike wrote wonder if Mr. Cotton misses it.

Well I do but I know once I got started back it would lose its shine. After 30+ years of coaching, (footbal, hockey, soccer, volleyball, golf, rugby, basketball) I've heard enough excuses for being late, missed practices and for mistakes (not my fault) to fill the rest of my time LOL
Several of those sports I had to learn through clinics, but a coach is a coach. If you have the goods to organize, motivate and communicate you are good to go.

I do meet athletes who I worked with me who tell me how much they enjoyed playing for me and that is enough to keep me happy.

Mike,
I'm sure you do a great job and your athletes are having a great experience.

Neil
u-pickedcotton

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi Mr. Cotton,

I remember what little exposure I had of you as a coach. I tried out for the hockey team one year. I didn't make it, but I remember that you kept me passed one cut because you said that I had a good attitude compared to others of similar skill level. I learned that you were a very fair and considerate coach. I later learned that you were also generous when you welcomed me to the science department the year when student teaching jobs were few. I owe my teaching career to that great start. I tell you, sir, I love teaching and that semester was a really nice experience. I sometimes think of great mentors like you when teaching and parenting.

Michael
Michael

Postby u-pickedcotton » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:32 am

Mike,

Thanks for the praise. I'm blushing here. :oops: :oops: :lol:

Neil
u-pickedcotton

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:08 pm

Do you guys know Martin Pollock? He's the head referee in our region. We see him every tournament. His two daughters are referees too. We might see them tomorrow at Meadowvale Secondary where we're having this rookie tourney. I'll report back as to how we did.
Michael

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:37 pm

:)
Yes Michael, I know him to see him!

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Martin was there with his daughter refereeing. Of my three guys, we got a fourth place finish. Martin is a drug squad detective with the Peel Police.
Michael

the sports hall of fame

Postby deeds30 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:08 pm

There was actually a story about the hall of fame in this weekend's edition of the Independent...Not sure if you can add the link or not Don.
deeds30

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:50 pm

:)
Thanks Dee Dee,
Here is the link, if you know someone or team that you feel should be considered, take time to fill out the nomination form, information on where and how are in the article. If you are a little shy, email the name and I will attempt to search out some info for you and send it to you so you are able to fill out the form!

don@fensal.com
FORMS AND CRITERIA:
http://www.hhsm.ca/

http://www.independentfreepress.com/lifestyle/article/31398

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 pm

I forgot to mention that last Thursday we went to the Port Credit Secondary Blue and Gold wrestling tournament. My one and only veteran placed second in the 61KG weight category. This tournament is about equivalent to the tournament of the Peel regional champs (Feb. 20) in terms of opponent skill level. If Manraj can place at least second at ROPSSAA, he then has a pass to go to OFSAA at Hagersville. (Feb. 28 )
Michael

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:13 pm

:) Way to go coach, congratulation to Manraj and good luck!

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:58 pm

I can't take credit for his performance. He trains with the Mississauga MatMen wrestling club. I'm a junior coach still learning. I have helped him with his psychology though. In fact, that is his biggest problem, i.e anxiety. We had a break-through at that last tournament though. I want to help this kid get to OFSAA. It's amazing to see a kid like him really try at something. It's those moments that make doing it so worthwhile.

I brought a rookie to Etobicoke to a small tournament. He made it to the bronze match and choked. We have a two week sports moratorium during the exam period. Regionals are in four weeks. I hope my guys work out on their own until February 5 which is our next practice.
Michael

Postby Clive Llewellyn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:34 am

Great job Michael. What school are you at?
Clive
Clive Llewellyn

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:34 pm

Thanks, Clive. I'll PM you.
Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:58 pm

The big day is tomorrow: regionals. We do weigh-ins after school today at the board office. I'm excited. I'm hoping my veteran can make it to the Ontario championship. I'm thinking of doing a wrestling club after the March break and Manraj will help me coach for community hours. High school students need 40 hours to graduation.
Michael

Postby Lisa Copland » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:42 pm

Good luck Mike - hope it all goes just the way you want it to!

It's so great to see teachers like you who want to go that extra mile for the kids.
Lisa Copland

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Well, my rookies bombed out as expected. Manraj won his first match handely. During his second match he was shoved off the mat and hit his back on a bench. He wrestled in pain to a close loss, then went straight to the medic. He was told to be careful, because of how close it was to his spine. He decided to wrestle the next match, but win or lose it would be his last. He wrestles in a club, so the school team just supplements his wrestling as he does several other tournaments through the year. He ended up winning that last match. I'm designating him the team star for the athletic banquet. I hope I can make it to the banquet though, because I'm going in for an operation around that time.
Michael

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:09 pm

I hope you make the banquet and you come through your operation with flying colours my friend!

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks, Don. You have a kind heart.
Michael

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery Michael.

Next

Return to Archives - Anything in General